Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • I participated back in 2010 but for obvious reasons will not be doing so again in the near future . . . :lol: Goken - if you post your fundraising link when you have it I'll happily sponsor you!
    • Guns in America (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: “We put on our issue .45s, and our instructor said, ‘Gentlemen, the first and most important thing you’ve done by putting on that weapon is you’ve increased your chances of being in a gunfight by 100 percent,’” he said. “That’s a lesson that a lot of people don’t get. More guns means more gunfights — and the idea that in a chaotic, pressurized, terrifying situation, they’re going to do the right thing is ridiculous.” Firstly, I'm not a vet or a police officer. I'm just a guy that carries his gun every day and has been training in martial arts for 20 years, so take what I say for what it's worth. I agree with parts of this. I've multiple times had conversations about open carry vs concealed carry and this is one of the reasons I prefer concealed. Even if I could open carry I probably wouldn't just because guns do draw gunfire. If I'm walking around with a big obvious gun then either regular people are going to panic, someone will shoot me because they think I'm about to shoot people, or a person who is about to shoot people will shoot me first because I have a gun. Quote: “I think there’s this fantasy world of gunplay in the movies, but it doesn’t really happen that way,” said retired Army Sgt. Rafael Noboa y Rivera. “When I heard gunfire [in Iraq], I didn’t immediately pick up my rifle and react. I first tried to ascertain where the shooting was coming from, where I was in relation to the gunfire and how far away it was. I think most untrained people are either going to freeze up, or just whip out their gun and start firing in that circumstance.” This may be the most important thing said there. It's about training and reacting properly. Where is it coming from, where are you in relation to it, do you have good cover, do you have a clean shot, how many are there, etc. These are all things you need to think about. If you don't react properly you're going to get people killed, maybe even yourself. People think that because I carry a gun that I'm all for everyone and their brother running around with guns. That's not the truth. Training is needed. Luckily, most people I know who have guns feel the same way.
    • 5 Signs you Might be a Sith in Training (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: lol...the only thing i'm ever chosen for is....uhm...oh wait...i'm never chosen for anything :lol: I feel like you've got to be on at least one person's Zombie Apocalypse Survival team. :lol:
    • Uplifting Thoughts & Quotes For The Day (Last post by Janice)
    • Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. ~ Viktor Frankl
    • Jedi Charity (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Quote: we're scattered a good bit as well.... no matter how much i donate, it never feels like many in need... I totally understand the feeling but even if we were Bill Gates we couldnt end poverty. The only thing we can do is take pride and pleasure in knowing that what we do brings joy into the lives of others. So many need so much that we would go mad if we thought of the things we cant or dont do. We instead must focus on what we can and will do.
    • Nature - Animals (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • dolphins help fishermen catch fish dolphin asks scuba diver for help cetacean (whales, porpoises and dolphins) intelligence
    • Duty sword advice (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • yeah, you were right imo its just about the best design out there for a defense oriented bludgeon weapon, for the reasons you listed EDIT and with legal implications to consider its probably the best option in this situation
    • Well done, feminism. Now men are afraid to help wo... (Last post by ZenJo)
    • My exprience has taught me (and feel free to correct me), that a major difference between women and men is that men tend to think in "2-D" in conversations and women think in "3-D". By that I mean that men seem to view conversation as way to convey a certain message or a point via the words themselves. Women think on a higher plane by using conversation to also convey the intentions, feelings, and emotions behind the words. There is of course some overlap as not everyone fits gender generalitites or sterotypes. But I speak from experience only. For example when I ask my friend (a dude) how his day was, he will state the bare minimum information about a particular event and I know the bottom line of what happened. "I got hired at __" or "they fired me today". But unless I dig deeper, I won't know what led up to that even or how it made him feel. My female friends will set the events of their day up like they are describing a movie script. They set the scene, the characters, the rising action, the falling action, and the emotions felt in each scene. Needless to say, their days are always way more interesting to listen to than my male friends. If I am around my male friends watching football or whatever, we don't interact much at all. I think we are secretly competing to see who can be the laziest while staring at the TV, lol. So in the work place, I have found that I don't have be afraid of talking to women at all. I just have make sure I am clear about my intentions in offering help and that I pay close attention to what they are saying/doing. And given the long and ongoing history of sexism and domestic violence in our world, I don't blame women for having a bit of caution in the back of their mind around men. But men who claim to be "afraid" of women at work need to talk to and get to know the women in their office better and stop pretending to be "victimized" by women. My female friends have described to me how the "prettier girls" in their offices get preferential treat by the male bosses. Like, for examle, the boss allowing the cute blonde to go home early for a cough and sniffle but denying other girls time off even when they have the flu. Sexism is alive and well.
    • Did KOTOR teach you anything? (Last post by Doogle)
    • Yes this game opened my eyes to the force in a fun and example rich way. The first game your Jedi teacher Jolee Bindo a Jedi who put himself into exile for falling in love with a sith. He taught me to not take life so seriously and think that mine is anymore important than others. {Jolee: "Look, everybody always figures the time they live in is the most epic, most important age to end all ages. But tyrants and heroes rise and fall, and historians sort out the pieces." Revan: "Are you saying what we're doing isn't important?" Jolee: "Malak is a tyrant who should be stopped. If he conquers the galaxy, we're in for a couple of rough centuries. Eventually it'll come around again, but I'd rather not wait that long. So we do what we have to do and we try to stop the Sith. But don't start thinking this war, your war, is more important than any other war just because you're in it." ―Jolee Bindo and Revan, on the Jedi Civil War} He also points out the flaws in the Star Wars Universe's Jedi Order.. {"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you." ―Jolee Bindo, to Revan, when discussing love} But enough about Jolee my true teacher was an amazingly wise former Sith Master and Jedi named Kreia. Kreia tought me how to first feel the force. To stop and concentrate on the life around me, mentally strip away the layers of material things, and feel the pure energy flowing with life (especially in areas with heavy activity). She also taught me the duality of a good deed. If a good deed is not properly focused it will do no good in actually solving the problem and may even have bad consequences. If you want to truly heal something ... "It requires that one be able to feel the critical point within the fractured mass... and know how to strike it in such a way that the echoes travel to your intended destination." - Kreia She also taught me force or violence is not the answer either ... "Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever." ―Kreia Basically she taught me there is a good and bad side to everything and to restrict yourself to the Jedi code is to enslave your mind and throw out possible alternatives. "You must understand. I did not wish the Jedi dead. Defeated... perhaps. I merely wished them to see that they and their teachings were wrong. That one could not truly understand the Force simply by adhering to the Jedi Code." ―Kreia[src] "Let me show you—you, who have forever seen the galaxy through the Force. See it through the eyes of the exile." ―Kreia, speaking to Jedi Masters Vrook Lamar, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell, moments before severing their connection with the Force She taught me much more but going into detail about it would require a lot of effort.
    • On War & Religion (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: Quote: establish exactly WHY it is wrong to burn down a dozen villages If it benefits me, if it simply entertains me, and i can get away with it, and my life is just as good after burning these village as it was before, maybe even better because the villages smelled bad and they played their music too loud, why shouldnt i do it? what is WRONG about it? can you do this without appealing to an ultimate reality or authority? I can appeal to consequences and emotions and rely on the person's set of values, if they have any. Beyond that, no, I can't. Appealing to an ultimate cosmic will of sorts won't help me either way though, because "the universe wills it" is a frankly cartoonishly weak justification for anything, really. Any appeal to any ever so weak reason will, simply by virtue of actually going through some thoughts rather than stopping at the declaration already, be stronger than any appeal to moral authority, ultimate or not, can ever hope to be. You see, if my villager was a Christian, and knew that Jesus told him this and that, nothing about that would be any more ultimate. To put it in Kant's terms, it would be but another hypothetical imperative, namely "IF you wish to live your life in accordance with the will of God, THEN you ought not to burn this man." There is neither a reason to suppose that the villager would wish that, nor that there is anything good about said will, as exposed by the Euthyphro Dilemma, and of course with or without either suppositions, what the divine plan entails exactly would remain a matter of interpretation anyway, as evident by modern villages who keep murdering heretics or witches to this day, because rather than in spite of their oh-so-ultimate morality. Besides, modern Christian theologians to a great extent go out of their way to tell us how we are NOT obliged to make either choice rather than the other, even if we acknowledge that one is good and the other evil. So, with or without appeals of this kind, morality remains fluid and negotiable and I for one would propose that this is far better than a truly ultimate morality which is not concerned with the interests of its only subjects. Just because something is not absolute, doesn't mean it is relative, and frankly, rigidity and persistence are hallmarks of the unreliable, while change and improvement are hallmarks of the trustworthy. I never said you get ultimate justification without religion. I said that you don't get it with religion. You can get some contingent and limited justification without it, but religion would add nothing of value to it if you chose to employ it. This is why my challenge posed a person who had no regard for the consequences of their actions or the well-being of others. While even a slight amount of religion has been and remains enough to move even good people to do wicked things, no amount of religion can actually make you care to be a good person. Nothing can.
    • Questionnaire: Why did you choose the path? (Last post by TheDude)
    • What is Jediism to you? Belief in the Force and all that comes with it. How did you find the Jedi path and how did you find other jedi? Hm... Google! How much did you have to change or what changed when you started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals Started meditating more and reading more often. How active are you in the Jedi Community? I post on here and try to talk with members of the community often, especially while bouncing ideas. But I haven't gone to any gatherings or anything. What does being a Jedi mean to you? Belief in the Force and all that comes with it. What are the difference practices in the Jedi path? Some people care about the fiction, some don't. Some try to emulate the fiction, some don't. How has being a Jedi improved your life as a whole? I am more at peace now. I meditate more often. And my conflict resolution has gotten better. Do you consider Jediism a religion or more of a philosophy? The two are inseparable in my opinion. Do you practice alone or with a group and why? Is it about community ? Alone and sometimes here at TOTJO. Community can help, but isn't necessary to follow the path. Do you identify with any other religion and how do they view your path? Dudeism. But Jediism allows for many things. I'm generally a bit of a mystic as well. How do you meditate? Many ways. Either zazen or being involved in things. Drum beats can help, and I do a lot of vision-based meditation. Sometimes water helps. I generally either focus on being a blank slate or focus on taking in as much as possible... or vision-based stuff. What did others think of your decisions? My decisions are my own and I don't tell others unless they ask. People generally don't ask.
    • Justice in the Force (Last post by Corwinani)
    • Well, we are all connected in the force, even with the animals and the plants and everything else .... Of course i do not mean that eating meat or killing animals for meat is wrong, because we are part of the nature and its FOOD CHAIN , but we should have some respect and not look at the animals just as a can of meat, but always be aware of living breathing being. (some people could disagree with my opinion and there is many, but it doesnt make me wrong)

There are 667 visitors, 14 guests and 54 members online (5  in chat): Garm, Sirius, Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, steamboat28, Streen, RyuJin, Jestor, ren, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Lightstrider, Connor L., Adhara, Luthien, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, Metsu Desal, Vusuki, Brenna, jontix, Kamizu, elizabeth, Vincente, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, Jamie Stick, Cabur Senaar, Goken, GalUnDrux, den385, MrBruno, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, asteropos, Competent, Tellahane, KarlstadJedi, Volund Starfire, TheToonMerc, Mikhael, Petar Uzunov, FaunJohn, Morkhen, AtlanticPhoenix, Golan Wilder, KnowLedeSeeker, Tymmy, JLSpinner, jonathangomez549, mikul, Doogle, Ousan Ka, Thalamoore, MadHatter, Raven Crest, Uberbeam.

Follow Us