Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 02 Apr 2012 20:56 #55070

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
If anyone has seen the most recent Star Wars movies they would have seen the capital planet of Coruscant with its surface entirely covered with built environment designed for modern living and work. This has been called an ecumenopolis, world city, and would represent effectively the death of the planets original biosphere from the creation of a new human made layer onto the planets surface. The measure of this change in the surface of the planet could be considered to have really begun with what is being called an Anthropocene era, and this video is saying we have just entered the beginning of that era and its a good excuse to post another video showing an interesting visualization of where we live;

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Red Lila

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 00:16 #55096

• ren
  • ID: 4418
We haven't made a hole in the ozone layer. It's natural.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 01:00 #55104

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
ren wrote:
We haven't made a hole in the ozone layer. It's natural.

I dunno, I think the argument is that having certain man made chemicals in the atmosphere amplifies the ozone depletion of polar stratospheric clouds to levels far in advance of what would occur normally in nature - leading to possible broader implications to climate systems.

I'm only going on Wikipedia though, and here is some relevant points;
On 2 October 2011, a study was published in the journal Nature, which said that between December 2010 and March 2011 up to 80% of the ozone in the atmosphere at about 20 kilometres (12 mi) above the surface was destroyed. The level of ozone depletion was severe enough that scientists said it could be compared to the ozone hole that forms over Antarctica every winter. According to the study, "for the first time, sufficient loss occurred to reasonably be described as an Arctic ozone hole." The study analyzed data from the Aura and CALIPSO satellites, and determined that the larger-than-normal ozone loss was due to an unusually long period of cold weather in the Arctic, some 30 days more than typical, which allowed for more ozone-destroying chlorine compounds to be created

and
In the lower atmosphere, there is much more chlorine from CFCs and related haloalkanes than there is in HCl from salt spray, and in the stratosphere halocarbons are dominant. Only methyl chloride which is one of these halocarbons has a mainly natural source, and it is responsible for about 20 percent of the chlorine in the stratosphere; the remaining 80% comes from man made sources.
Last Edit: 03 Apr 2012 01:01 by Adder.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 04:50 #55116

I found the point you made Adder, to be very fascinating. But I wanted to make a clarification. The Anthropocene epoc being tossed around is being considered more for strata analysis. That being, the effects of civilization are finally beginning to be registered actively in the stratiographic layers in soil, resulting in geological formations that can ONLY be explained through complex industrial based life.

The natural result, of course, is that our effects on the environment are now able to be recorded and noticed by future generations in an interesting detail without having to only go off of artifacts and data articles from this time.

Do I think we will reach the level of Coruscant though?
Hard to say really, The amount of time in the future that SW can possibly exist would have to be between 20,000 and 35000 years in the future.

These numbers go more off bits of info dropped "Jedi was originated 20,000 years ago and was re-inforced by offworlders" and so on.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 09:00 #55118

• ren
Adder, I'm not denying the well known effects of CFCs and the like... But the "ozone hole" naturally appears at the poles for spring. Caused by halogens like iodine and chlorine (and bromine)... Salt, basically.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 11:20 #55126

Now I am depressed :(
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

Master: Reliah

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 19:57 #55205

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
That was quite a cool video, not sure what the point to it was... lol

But no we aren't quite like Coruscant yet...

Not until we have skyscrapers across the entire planet, but actually living in a city improves your standard of living so we might be better off...

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but if everyone moved into a few large cities we would be much better off (living standards wise) than having ourselves spread across the countryside
Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 21:35 #55239

• ren
I don't think living in a city improves your standard of living. It has advantages but overall I'd rather stay in the middle of nowhere. And if I don't have access to doctors or 1TB of fiber then so be it.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Quote: Different people might get different things from questions, what is 'truth' is best described as whatever helps that person progress closer to moving forward in whatever areas of their life they seek improvement. Doesn't mean we have to ignore the facts in that process. So what if there is a proposition that is not factual but does help the person in the sense that you suggest? By your definition it would then still be truth. So while truth doesn't necessarily conflict with reality, it can, by your standard. Now do you yourself find that an appropriate standard? I suppose this comes down to semantics anyway. Surely there may potentially be partially beneficial things that are in conflict with reality, its just that I couldn't label them as "true" from that point on, because my definition of truth is one that does require conformity with reality. I think growth is the drive of human learning, so its sort of in that context. In complexity 'correct' does not have to mean completely true, it can just mean movement towards truth.... depends on what is being asked I suppose. Not everything has empirical standards to be assessed by, but yes I think I understand what your saying - its why I tried to make a subtle differentiation by using two different terms, between truth (how I used it then) and fact.
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: I already use the "aspects of subconscious self" approach in regards to deities...in regards to spirits... I hope it didn't seem like I was suggesting that you weren't aware of this process (or that you didn't utilize it) in my last post. I was speaking generally. :) I would love to hear more about this if/when you feel up to it. You are welcome to PM me anytime.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • SIMPLE BLOOD TEST COULD DETECT ALL TYPES OF CANCER Researchers in the U.K. think we’re getting close to a simple blood test that can diagnose all cancers. Early results show how it can identify cancer and pre-cancerous conditions in patients with melanoma, colon cancer, and lung cancer. By helping doctors rule out certain diseases in people with symptoms, the test could save time and money while preventing the need for painful, invasive procedures like biopsies. Known as the Lymphocyte Genome Sensitivity (LGS) assay, the test looks at white blood cells called lymphocytes and the damage caused to their DNA when subjected to different intensities of ultraviolet light, which causes damage to genetic material. “White blood cells are part of the body’s natural defense system. We know that they are under stress when they are fighting cancer or other diseases, so I wondered whether anything measurable could be seen if we put them under further stress with UVA light,” Diana Anderson from the University of Bradford explains in a news release. Anderson and colleagues examined the lymphocyte responses in 208 people: 20 with melanoma, 34 with colon cancer, 4 with lung cancer, 18 with suspected melanoma, 28 with polyposis, and 10 with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and 94 healthy volunteers. The samples were coded, randomized, and then exposed to UVA light through five different depths of agar. They found a clear distinction between the damage to the white blood cells from patients with cancer, patients with pre-cancerous conditions, and healthy patients. “People with cancer have DNA which is more easily damaged by ultraviolet light than other people,” Anderson says, “so the test shows the sensitivity to damage of all the DNA -- the genome -- in a cell.” UVA damage shows up in the form of pieces of DNA pulled in an electric field towards the positive end of the field; this creates a tail like the one you’d see trailing a comet. In the LGS test, the longer the comet-like tail, the more DNA damage. The measurements correlated to those patients who were ultimately diagnosed with cancer (58), those with pre-cancerous conditions (56), and those who don’t have cancer (94). A clinical trial is currently underway to test the effectiveness of the LGS test at predicting which patients would benefit from a colonoscopy. The work was published in the FASEB Journal last week Read more at www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/s...#Er4DyxelXKlfkt3D.99
    • Gisteron (Last post by scott777ab)
    • Quote: I believe he was using the 'universe' as his "proof" for God, not as a "symbol" for God... Jestor actually for me. The universe is both proof for god and symbol for god. To me that is the universe is the physical manifestation of god. I believe that God is the underlying principle of energy that all things are made up of. This underlying energy I also believe is conscious and aware. Sort of like how we are aware of our skin we know we have skin but we do not direct its growth or shedding, likewise god (universal energy) is aware of all its parts but does not direct all its parts. But like we can take active part in changing our skin, tats, cutting it, bandaging it, etc. so too can god take an active part in its parts. When god takes part in itself what happens is what many call magic or miracles. These are points in time that seem to defy science, but really do not if closer examination is done. Like when any family member gets that phenomenal strength to lift a car off their family member. Many will just lump all that to hormones and leave it there, I believe it is more. I believe that is god taking active participation in its parts. Like a body builder who lifts weights, that is god lifting its weights. I do not believe any single part can be called god alone the same as if you cut your finger off and were to call that finger you, that would not be true. To separate any part of god and say this is god would be wrong. To me god is everything that is and everything that is not. There is no where that is not god, there is no time that is not god. God is the perfect paradox to me. I asked Gisteron if he was agnostic. I shall answer that too. I am not, I believe you can know and experience god. I believe you can know and experience god through meditation, and through prayer. I believe god is that still voice within your head that meany call your conscience, letting you know what is good to do and what is not good to do. I believe god is that voice of warning that so many report telling them not to go somewhere then all hell brakes loose where they would have been. I believe god to be the field of energy where all thought, and memory is stored and comes from. I believe everyone hears from god, but the message gets damaged way too often. God's message in my opinion is always perfect, but it must come to us through thought in our mind first. Our mind receives god's messages then transmits it into and through the process of our brain causing us to think. Our brains are likened to a computer we all have certain programming or lines of code that we have come to accept as true. God's message goes through said filter and we get our feelings from said filtration. Our thoughts lead to thinking which lead to certain feelings. These thoughts, ways of thinking, and feelings lead us to act in certain ways. Those thoughts, ways of thinking, feelings, and acting in certain ways will bring about certain results. Every cause has an effect. The cause of the physical manifestation of the universe to me is the invisible conscious energy of all. Now some peoples filtration system can be broken. Autism for example will change the message one understands. Each of us has our own filtration system that we process conscious energy through, or in other words each of us has our own filtration system that we process god through. I do not believe god to be just the (god) as portrayed in the bible, or koran or whatever other holy book. Each of those were created by mankind and through their belief systems and understanding of the world around them. Does that make them wrong, no. But does that make any of them the absolute truth of all, no. I believe in god because god is the only thing that make sense to me. I can not understand how anyone can not believe in god, that completely baffles me and sends my mind reeling. I get the thoughts of like, "really, how can you not believe in god. Its the only thing that makes logical sense." It is almost a pointless endevor when one says: Prove god exists. The universe to me is proof, and I am like, Prove god does not exist. Everything around me that I see, read, hear, taste, smell, etc. only reinforces my belief in god. I have tried before to find fault with my belief in god. I set out to actually disprove god to myself. I actually hated the whole idea of there being a god. It disgusted me and made me furious. But the more I studied, and the more I have experienced only cemented my belief in God. I personally can see god in suffering, while many can not. I can see god in suffering when you get another person who sees that person who is suffering lend a helping hand to them trying to lift the other up out of the mire of depression or homelessness or whatever the case may be. Suffering to me is proof that there is a god. Suffering allows others to be charitable and caring for those who suffer. To me this is direct evidence of god. I personally can see god in times when people get that nudge to help another, like pulling someone out of harms way even if that is putting their own selves in harms way. The nudge is god speaking to them, act, do, now. The person does not think about themselves or their programming in their brain. They just obey the cosmic command of god and do it, irregardless of harm to self. The outcome many times is the saving of the person in danger and an uplifting of the "HERO". God is that which gives us the ability to go beyond our programming and become a "HERO." God is the only reason you even exist. Without god you would not exist. Without god consicious energy coming together and forming the cell and sperm that you came from you would not exist. When does life begin, it doesn't, life always is. Even a rock has its own consciousness. The atoms are doing what they are doing because they are conscious of what they are doing. There are some who claim that this consciousness has a sound, and I agree with them. This sound is the OHM, the sound of creation. This also is another reason I believe in god, for I have heard this sound while meditating. Then at the same time my entire body started to vibrate. It was crazy. Then there are the two near death experiences I have had where I believe I have seen in a sense god, or conscious energy. At that time I did not hold any particular belief system of god. So the 1st NDE was experienced as a dark void, the 2nd NDE was experienced as a bright light. Then there was another time I was meditating. I had been reading this book by Charles F Hannel, called the Master Key System. At the end of the first three chapters were simple instructions for meditating. Week One: sit still for 15 minutes. Week Two: same as above but focus on one thought. Week Three: same as above but try to blank or empty your mind. So anyways I was like somewhere around chapter 12 to 15 not sure which exactly when I decided, "OK lets try week one." So I sat down with the intent to sit still for 15 minutes. I was aware of my self in my surroundings for about 10 minutes, then my mind somehow focused down to one thought, then no thought. It was then that the same light I saw in my NDE came flooding in my minds eye down from above my head, entering at the crown of my head and through my forehead. I could literally feel this light flowing into my head then down through my entire body. Then I was not. I was not just me, I was everything. I could see the entire universe, I kid you not, I completely understood it all. It was amazing. I could not only see the universe, I was aware of all things and all beings that are aware. I was seeing through the eyes of everything that could see at one moment. It all made sense, it was not scary, and it was all good. Then it was over, and all that was left was the memory of the experience, not the complete understanding. I remember understanding it all, but I do not remember the understanding itself. This above all other reasons is why i say this. I personally 100% equivalently believe in god. I have no doubt at all that there is a god, I have no doubt that one can experience god either. This is why I say I am an Eclectic Jedeoitic Mystic. To me everyone is right. You have to come to understand god in your own way, if science is the only way for one to understand god (the universe) then that is fine, if it is Christianity, Buddhism, or even Atheism it matters not. You are still coming to your own understanding of god (the universe.) If you took the time to read all this thank you. This post should give you more of an idea what I mean when I say this. May the force(GOD) be with(in) you.
    • Sweden (Last post by AlexanderJ.W)
    • Vad är det som gör att du tycker att Sverige är ett så spännande land, och vad är det som har fått dig intresserad? :9 Må kraften vara med dig
    • My Philosophy of Life (Last post by scott777ab)
    • Quote: I do my best to live my philosophy, and it has been quite beneficial personally. Good, and don't let jerks like me push you around. To you also I aplogize. I guess I do not know how to make decent posts to things I disagree with without sounding like a total jerk. So I am sorry about that Philo. This here below is the last thing I am going to say in this thread. May the force(God) be with(in) you.
    • Connor is back (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Oh! Well, that wasn't a permanent thing since I've been in Germany for a month and all. But, yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I may not end up doing the financial planning stuff till I'm done singing, which may not be for 10-20 years yet.
    • Jedi Lightsaber (Last post by rugadd)
    • I should amend that by saying I DID craft one...but its 4 solid steel plumbing pieces and a solid steel pipe for the blade, wrapped in green electrical tape. I treat it the same way one might treat a weighted bat in baseball practice. Also, will likely be my head bashing tool when the zombie apocalypse happens.
    • Rape Culture (Last post by ren)
    • It's the evil patriarchy man. We get to be dicks and women pussies. Coz you know, throughout history cats have been seen as disgusting worthless animals not deserving of any kind of attention and all. You know dem cats vandalized the pyramids with selfies in egypt? Filthy things. Now being named after male genitalia and the greatest politician ever Dick Nixon, that's just pure honour and glory.
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Learn_To_Know)
    • "Nobody needs a smile so much as the one who has none to give. So get used to smiling heart-warming smiles, and you will spread sunshine in a sometimes dreary world" - Lawrence G. Lovasik.
    • Open Sermon Slots (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Open Sermons slots are every Wednesday ... :) Please continue writing and submitting us your sermons. Open Sermons are pretty much free-writing exercises on any topic one finds a 'message' in. And, as we know, found messages are often just as important as planned ones. Furthermore, they are open to everyone. :cheer:

There are 507 visitors, 4 guests and 21 members online (none are in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Jestor, Darren, Reliah, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Luthien, Rosalyn J, scott777ab, PatrickB, Whyte Horse, suliskveteba, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Scibles, tzb, benedictveritas, Mathew Erickson, marza tumud, BeBe, Knigma, TambelSadera.

Follow Us