Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 02 Apr 2012 20:56 #55070

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
If anyone has seen the most recent Star Wars movies they would have seen the capital planet of Coruscant with its surface entirely covered with built environment designed for modern living and work. This has been called an ecumenopolis, world city, and would represent effectively the death of the planets original biosphere from the creation of a new human made layer onto the planets surface. The measure of this change in the surface of the planet could be considered to have really begun with what is being called an Anthropocene era, and this video is saying we have just entered the beginning of that era and its a good excuse to post another video showing an interesting visualization of where we live;

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Red Lila

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 00:16 #55096

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
We haven't made a hole in the ozone layer. It's natural.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 01:00 #55104

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
ren wrote:
We haven't made a hole in the ozone layer. It's natural.

I dunno, I think the argument is that having certain man made chemicals in the atmosphere amplifies the ozone depletion of polar stratospheric clouds to levels far in advance of what would occur normally in nature - leading to possible broader implications to climate systems.

I'm only going on Wikipedia though, and here is some relevant points;
On 2 October 2011, a study was published in the journal Nature, which said that between December 2010 and March 2011 up to 80% of the ozone in the atmosphere at about 20 kilometres (12 mi) above the surface was destroyed. The level of ozone depletion was severe enough that scientists said it could be compared to the ozone hole that forms over Antarctica every winter. According to the study, "for the first time, sufficient loss occurred to reasonably be described as an Arctic ozone hole." The study analyzed data from the Aura and CALIPSO satellites, and determined that the larger-than-normal ozone loss was due to an unusually long period of cold weather in the Arctic, some 30 days more than typical, which allowed for more ozone-destroying chlorine compounds to be created

and
In the lower atmosphere, there is much more chlorine from CFCs and related haloalkanes than there is in HCl from salt spray, and in the stratosphere halocarbons are dominant. Only methyl chloride which is one of these halocarbons has a mainly natural source, and it is responsible for about 20 percent of the chlorine in the stratosphere; the remaining 80% comes from man made sources.
Last Edit: 03 Apr 2012 01:01 by Adder.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 04:50 #55116

I found the point you made Adder, to be very fascinating. But I wanted to make a clarification. The Anthropocene epoc being tossed around is being considered more for strata analysis. That being, the effects of civilization are finally beginning to be registered actively in the stratiographic layers in soil, resulting in geological formations that can ONLY be explained through complex industrial based life.

The natural result, of course, is that our effects on the environment are now able to be recorded and noticed by future generations in an interesting detail without having to only go off of artifacts and data articles from this time.

Do I think we will reach the level of Coruscant though?
Hard to say really, The amount of time in the future that SW can possibly exist would have to be between 20,000 and 35000 years in the future.

These numbers go more off bits of info dropped "Jedi was originated 20,000 years ago and was re-inforced by offworlders" and so on.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 09:00 #55118

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
Adder, I'm not denying the well known effects of CFCs and the like... But the "ozone hole" naturally appears at the poles for spring. Caused by halogens like iodine and chlorine (and bromine)... Salt, basically.

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 11:20 #55126

Now I am depressed :(
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

Master: Reliah

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 19:57 #55205

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
That was quite a cool video, not sure what the point to it was... lol

But no we aren't quite like Coruscant yet...

Not until we have skyscrapers across the entire planet, but actually living in a city improves your standard of living so we might be better off...

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but if everyone moved into a few large cities we would be much better off (living standards wise) than having ourselves spread across the countryside
Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Re: Anthropocene - Coruscant here we come 03 Apr 2012 21:35 #55239

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
I don't think living in a city improves your standard of living. It has advantages but overall I'd rather stay in the middle of nowhere. And if I don't have access to doctors or 1TB of fiber then so be it.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: ...you gotta see patrick stewart's video... Dude, no link? I'm not as adept at linking things with the phone as some of our other phone bound members :P I'm actually surprised it worked...
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Depends on the culture...skinheads tend to value baldness...otherwise why constantly shave their heads,( my perspective is that they shave their heads to hide the fact that they aren't the "pure" race they claim, my brother for example is german,irish, and polish)... The only time an issue exists is when someone makes it an issue...if no one gets offended there are no issues....the moment one or two people get a wild hair up their keisters then all of the sudden it's an issue...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
    • The Misuses of "Criticism" (Last post by Acheron)
    • Quote: I actually prefer that professors stick the the minutia... “A game master or teacher who was primarily concerned with being close enough to the "innermost meaning" would be a very bad teacher. To be candid, I myself, for example, have never in my life said a word to my pupils about the "meaning" of music; if there is one it does not need my explanations. On the other hand I have always made a great point of having my pupils count their eighths and sixteenths nicely. Whatever you become, teacher, scholar, or musician, have respect for the "meaning" but do not imagine that it can be taught.” ― Hermann Hesse, The Glass Bead Game Not I. There is value in every subject and topic. Great or small. The role of the instructor is not to teach the meaning, but to facilitate the thought process of others so they may understand the meaning for themselves. It's about discovery, exploration, wandering, wondering, and depth. Among many others. To only teach (or present) for purpose of discussion the "grand" themes while forgoing the minutia would be a disservice. It is taking the hearts and minds of others for a leisurely stroll when they are capable of a much more rigorous pace. And I would have to humbly disagree with the late Mr. Hesse. Discussing the meaning of music is a necessity. It is not an option or a secret and it does require the explanation of each individual - because each will be different - and that is the lesson.
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Runelunan)
    • Great point! If you look at it another way you could see it as: All is changing and therefore an illusion or not real; we are the gods, our essence is unchanging, therefore we are real. We need to heed the warnings of conformity because to do otherwise would result in our destruction, as the Universe is ever changing, we need to deal with it.
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by Mathew Erickson)
    • Quote: No offence intended but if, before joining the Temple, someone whipped out a card and said "It's alright, I'm a Jedi" I'd have been anything but comforted... Whatever, I TOTALLY want to do that... LOL But seriously, I don't think I need anything to show I'm Jedi and here to help.... Anymore than someone would say "I'm Catholic, you can tell me anything..." Unless it's Jedi robes or a lightsaber... then I'm totally in
    • Live Service - Thursday 28th August - 19 UTC (Last post by RyuJin)
    • We really do need a phone friendly chat app...I get booted from chat frequently...and if I don't get booted I can't see what I'm typing...and the chat won't autoscroll so I have to keep manually scrolling which keeps changing the view.....
    • Ebola (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Apparently there is an experimental treatment, and so far it seems to be working on the 2americans that have been treated with it...time will tell for certain though ZMapp, its not 100%, a Doctor who was infected had it but died anyway. Seems to make the odd's more favorable though. Apparently it takes months to produce!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp
    • Down's Syndrome... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • When considering having a child my motivations would be based on maximising the child's potential well-being. This comes in many different forms - being able to financially support the child, being mature enough to support the child are amongst those forms. The fact of the matter is that you ultimately do not know how your child's life will go, you will only know what it's like when it happens... which is why it is important to do your best to try and maximise the chances of their quality of life being as good as you can make it. This idea of maximising their chances gives an explanation for why, as one might expect, well-off people have decent lives, but also why less well-off people have decent lives. Money isn't everything, a close-knit family or some great friends can make up for other 'deficiencies' in your living standards (being poor etc). We cannot predict everything with a lot of accuracy, but we can try to maximise their chances. If a child were to be born with a debilitating condition then we can safely assume that, all things being equal, this is more likely to result in having a difficult life. Of course that child may end up greatly enjoying their life, but if the goal is to try and give your child the best possible start that you can then, in my opinion, adding a medical variable into the mix will likely make such a life more difficult for both the child, the parents, and the state that may have to support the child/family. If I had a child I would try my best to maximise the well-being of every factor in that child's life. The fact is that it can be difficult to maximise the well-being of factors such as medical conditions so I would likely request that any fetus likely to be born with a debilitating illness be aborted.
    • V-Tog, Assistant Pastor, Resignation, 2014 (Last post by MCSH)
    • The Clergy of the TotJO regretfully regretfully announce that Senior Knight V-Tog has resigned from her office of Assistant Pastor due to personal reasons. On behalf of our temple's members I thank you V-Tog for the service you've done while holding that office.‏ May the Force be with you.
    • Possible cause and treatment for Autism (Last post by Psyddhattha)
    • As someone who works with people with learning disabilities and autism I see daily how distressing and debilitating it can be for the individual. Someone who is so obsessed with routine to the point that they can never focus on what they are doing at the time but always worrying about what's coming next... On the other hand a person with Asperger Syndrome could be much higher functioning that most of us could conceive!

There are 150 visitors, 9 guests and 27 members online (one is in chat): Zanthan Storm, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, ren, roy1593, Connor L., Adhara, Desolous, Reacher, MCSH, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, wesleycook74, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, Senan, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, Mathew Erickson, crystale, Targeran Arynal, Runelunan, Acheron.

Follow Us