Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Parents Religion and Respect (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Quote: So my parents are Fundamentalist Pentecostal Christians. :laugh: Same. We should compare notes sometime. Quote: About two years ago I decided I was agnostic. Although I haven't told my parents, but my mom knows I have doubts. She thinks I'm going through a phase. I'm currently staying at home, I'm going to college and can't afford my own place currently. My father specifically told if I didn't believe in God or not go to church. I would have to leave. Since I don't want to be homeless, I play the part. This is probably a smart move. Honestly, unless you find a way to afford your place, telling them is a really bad idea. It may even be a bad idea if you find a play of your own because there are lot of things you may still need from them and it can be really hard, painful, and unpleasant having to work around your parents all the time. There are a lot of bumps in the road when you first move out on your own, having someone to ask for help is really nice and makes the transition from being almost entirely dependent on your family to independent a lot easier. Quote: Now I respect there beliefs. But I have to admit their faith has negatively impacted me. I was home schooled and my mother taught me "creationist science" and I was only allowed to read/watch "christian approved literature/media". I also inherited a lot of my parents bigotry (which I have since got rid of, hopefully). Growing up I was VERY ignorant and VERY sheltered. I wasn't allowed sleepovers, or date till 18 (even then they had to meet his parents before the first date). It took two years of "deprogramming" from this. But my mom is very childish about her faith. I don't mean that negatively, more so in a more technical sense. Almost that she "couldn't go on" if she wasn't a christian. And almost everything she talks about is either God or the end times. When I even mentioned my doubt she became depressed, and my father was "disappointed in me". For a few months I wasn't even allowed to hang around my younger sister. (I would of been a bad influence). I had similar experiences although my dad is the one who's, as you put it, "childish" about his faith and my mom is much more reflective. One thing I have to keep reminding myself is that even though they got it wrong, they were trying to do what they thought was best for me. They truly believed everything they taught me and they wouldn't have taught it to me if they didn't. I can't say that about your parents, that something you'll have to answer for yourself. Quote: So I play along, I go to church, agree with what they say. I mean currently my entire social circle is christian/church based. I'm even on our worship team with my mother. I'm seen as a "leader" for the youth. Which is where my problem comes in. My mother parades me like the poster child (even though I'm 22) for the youth. But I know the damage those views had on me and the fact that she's using me to teach others its just........I feel like I'm being deceitful. And I see my sister falling into the same pitfalls I did but if I talk to her, my mother says "I'm leading her astray" and threatens to kick me out. I just. I'm not sure what to do. I know I should just keep pretending. It has the most benefits, but for how long? I mean I'm really close to my parents. I mean not to be morbid, but there a lot older. I may have to pretend twenty more years? I mean if its either a relationship with my parents or not. But I can't help feeling its wrong. :( People with open/accepting parents don't know how lucky they are. Fortunately you probably won't be dependent on them for the next 20 years. Chances are you'll graduate from college, find a job, and after a while you'll become stable enough (financially and whatnot) to rent a place, perhaps sharing it with one or two people you knew from college. After you've moved out and gotten adjusted to that you can start to talk with your parents more openly and honestly about your doubts. Right now it may seem hopeless and you might feel torn, but it does get better eventually. Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like.
    • Friendly weight loss challenge (Last post by Oneiros)
    • If you guys are gonna go for percentage of weight lost, I encourage you to focus on cardio as it's really the best way to shrink fat cells. Fun fact, fat cells never go away, they just shrink. The longer you keep your heart rate up, the more calories you burn, and the more you shrink those cells. If you're going to do calisthenics, I suggest doing bodyweight exercises as they are better for building up stabilizer muscles and joint strength and you're less likely to injury yourself. Unless of course you have a trainer or experience lifting weights, but cardio is still the best for weight loss.
    • A Problem. (Last post by Oneiros)
    • Quote: In my eyes, one's own chosen perception and choice of practical application of a lesson is their responsibility. Self accountability is important. Therefore, whatever goes "wrong" with their practical application is on their hands. It is for them to adhere to the consequences of their choices and actions, and learn from their mistakes. No understanding nor practical application can always be perfect and this is one of the things that is part of learning as a Jedi. "Acceptable behavior", beyond the walls and control of the temple's own rules, is not determined by the temple but by the outcome of their actions. It is not for us to be an authority on this. It is not us who teach them, it is they who teach themselves through their experiences. This is how we have always learned from the beginning, because it is the most basic nature of learning we know of. Sure, it's their own responsibility. Taking responsibility for the consequences of one's own actions should be expected. But isn't this where the master (assuming they are an apprentice) comes in? Isn't it incumbent upon the master to teach their pupil and "correct" them? If the pupil is expected to teach themselves, how are they supposed to make progress when they get stuck in behavior that is keeping them from the ultimate truth you spoke of? If we don't have standards, how does the master know how to help the pupil? Also, when you say "Acceptable behavior, beyond the walls and control of the temple's own rules, is not determined by the temple but by the outcome of their actions" it sounds a bit like the end justifies the means. The behavior is acceptable if the outcome of their actions is acceptable. Quote: Well, thankfully, we don't punish somebody for failing to grasp a level of philosophy concerning their human nature. If they fail to learn, then the natural consequences of it will come about as they may. They will experience those consequences, and upon those consequences being undesirable to them, they will naturally figure out for themselves that until they do put in the sincerity to learn, they will continue to experience the effects brought about by where they are in their state of being. All we can do as a temple is be there for them in support of what they are experiencing and offer any guidance that we can (most aptly upon their eventual seeking of it), in the form of sharing our own understanding in a humble and compassionate manner. Agreed. Thankfully nobody is punished for not understanding something or I'd be severely punished by now :) Hopefully it won't take them so many instances of experiencing the consequences of their actions that they harm anyone. Hopefully in their process of self-realization they don't push people away from the temple who do sincerely want to learn. I suppose in more extreme instances the council steps in and takes whatever action they feel is best. Quote: For me, there is no point that I would ever determine that he's not a Jedi. I would never depend on determining that he was in the first place; simply a human being. Remember, a Jedi is a play on the archetype of the Hero on a personal Journey, and that journey often includes phases of faltering, before coming back into redemption. Every Hero experiences it because the virtues that define a Hero depend on it. It is only for the experience of human nature to determine what one can be or can't be - not an institution. That is not our job, nor our ability. That's fair. I certainly wasn't suggesting that someone be punished or anything of the sort because they faltered. I was more concerned with someone who refuses to change their behavior. But Jedi are patient and just because someone is straying from the path doesn't mean we give up on them as long as they show a willingness to learn. And those who (in extreme cases) could bring harm to someone are dealt with at a higher level of administration than the general temple as you say below. Quote: Then they will experience the natural effects of what that brings. They may find that they are not taken seriously, and eventually will become bored after the fact. They may merely start out in such a state but then begin to witness things in certain people exhibiting sincere example around the temple that may instill an inspiration in them to decide to aspire to their state, and realize, they will have to put in the work to do it. Otherwise, they will remain bored and frustrated and go elsewhere to satisfy their ego. That is their prerogative, and not our responsibility to dictate. However, if they begin to disturb the community's ability to focus on the lessons they are working on, they are consulted via PM or email to work out the issue at hand, and if it comes to pass that no amount of dealing with them that way will lessen their disturbance, there are protocols followed to remove them from the temple until they decide to respect the spirit of the rules of the community. I guess this sorta sums up all answers to all my questions. I think perhaps I haven't been around enough to take notice of enough people exhibiting sincere examples to outweigh those exhibiting insincere examples. That's not to say that there aren't great people here. Please don't misunderstand. They just aren't quite as vocal as the rest which limits their efficacy as examples because all we really have to go on is the communication afforded to us by the internet. One of the limits of communicating solely via the internet is that we don't see what people do every day in the Jedi community unless they put it in their journal and we happen to read it. If we were all in a physical temple together or even living in the same community it would be easier for those sincere examples to have an impact. The "standards" would come about naturally.
    • Taoism (Last post by Edan)
    • Apparently I didn't read this before I posted my thread. Whoops!
    • here's a thought. (Last post by Brenna)
    • Firstly, I absolutely agree with the principal of what you are saying. Just a couple things. There has to date not been a single study that has confirmed the link between bras and breast cancer. The theory is that the bras constricted lymphatic flow which created a slowing of detoxification from breast tissue. Subsequent studies and biopsies on tumors and breast tissue has found no link. Breast cancer has also been proven to be either genetic due to the presence and expression of the BRCA1 and 2 (if memory serves this accounts for around than 5% of cases) or caused by lifestyle. There is a well documented evidence to support the fact that your risk factor for breast cancer is related to lifestyle, including obesity and alcohol consumption due to the fact that the most common type of breast cancer cells are generally highly estrogen receptive , So anything that raises your levels of estrogen, including some medications and foods are going to up your risk. The argument that there is more breast cancer from when bras were worn is an anecdotal theory that fails to take into consideration that massive lifestyle changes that have occurred within the same time frame that have been proven to have a link. “Female breast cancer is by far (unfairly so) the best financed field in oncology and there are obviously many opportunities for research funding.” Yes. Good marketing sadly. And in my opinion is a waste of money as we should be dealing with the causes, not the symptoms. (yes, I think cancer in general is a symptom of a bigger problem) You make some really good points over all. And for the most part I agree with the principal of what youre saying, but from a different perspective. In 2010 I was involved in helping to roll out a project with the NZ Breast cancer foundation. While survival rates in NZ are typically good, there was a massive discrepancy with the survival rates of Pacific island and Maori women. The were typically diagnosed much later, presented with far more established symptoms and were less likely to undergo treatment. They also have a higher rate of the more aggressive forms. Naturally this was frustrating because the Foundation put a LOT of money and years of effort into funding a mobile screening unit which was free and also ensured that women in smaller communities had access to screening. As part of the project we introduced a patient advocate. A woman who was not only Maori, but spoke Te Reo and had also had cancer herself. She went out into the community a few weeks prior to the screening unit armed with pamphlets and information hoping to encourage people ahead of time. What she found is that the lack of screening and treatment was actually NOT being driven by the women themselves. Both cultures are very traditional, patriarchal and religious. It turned out that it was considered an insulting and inappropriate for a woman to be seen or touched by a man other than her husband and that included doctors. Its an ingrained cultural belief. The first thing we did was assign only the female staff available to the screening unit. Screening, diagnosis and treatment rates went up almost instantly. It was insane. Next we launched community projects to help facilitate better understanding about the realities of breast cancer and its treatments, including the need for non gender bias when it came to medical staff, and in the last 4 years the need to have female only staff in the screening units has dissipated. Yes, I agree with you that it is not equality to have women only wards. But you don’t change people’s minds and cultural beliefs by saying it’s not fair and I don’t understand why this is a problem for you because it’s not a problem for me. Your justification for your arguments is “my observations” “my opinion” “MY taxes” (because what, women who access these services don’t pay taxes and YOURS are the only taxes being used to fund this lunacy of people feeling comfortable while undergoing intensive, painful and traumatic treatment for something that may kill them?” :silly: . Instead of being offended by the choices people make on how they want their bodies and experiences of treatment handled because of YOUR observations and YOUR opinions, perhaps you should try considering it from a wider perspective, and trying to understand why they feel that way. Maybe consider it from their perspective and try to understand why they dont agree with you, and you might just discover a way to change it.
    • Edan (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm sorry Rickie I only just saw this! Thank you for your kind words :)
    • Strict adherence to doctrine. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: Quote: See, I read that as: Quote: In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including such as, but not limited to the death penalty. I dont feel that the Death Penalty is cruel or unusual punishment.... I kind of see that though as your interpretation... my interpretation opinion is that death penalty is a cruel punishment.. and as such I don't approve of it. Both of us are Jedi, both of us have the same doctrine.. but when do we change it? Do we change it at all? Or do we accept that interpretation is going to happen, regardless of the words on the page. It will get changed when someone feels it is important enough to define... All changes happen that way... Personal changes happen when we are not happy with ourselves in some manner... Societal changes happen when enough numbers feel an issue needs addressed... Thus far, few have commented, on this being a sticking point... :lol:...
    • The Church of Stop Shopping (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • [video] I think this is genius and actually in line with what I had been taught as a liberal Christian (although Rev. Billy isn't actually a reverend). Thoughts?

There are 309 visitors, 3 guests and 20 members online (none in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, steamboat28, Nakis, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Elemental Harmony, Rickie The Grey, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, porkapon763, GalUnDrux, Yodi, Jeffery Williams, Tarran, Oneiros, RaB, almosteasy69.

Follow Us