Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What's your hurry? (Last post by Goken)
    • I am in no particular hurry, although I have worried that I was moving too slowly. I have even asked (via forum and PM) about how speed affects learning and advancement. In the end I realized that I'll get through it when I get through it. If I tried to alter my speed in any way I wouldn't get as much out of it and I wouldn't be being true to myself.
    • Discussion 4 - Crossing The Threshold (Last post by AlexanderJ.W)
    • 1. Consider the phrase "Point of no return". Say it aloud. How does it make you feel? Have you ever had to make a decision in your life which caused you to feel you were crossing a "point of no return"? Point of no return feels like a challenge. Something that I believe is to make the hero uneasy, but I feel curious and become even more determined to prove myself and to push myself over my own expectations. When I broke up with my girlfriend after eight years together, I felt like I was crossing a point of no return. I knew that even if I love her we can never be together again, and it was terrifying being alone since we had been together for a bit over a third of my life time, so I didn't know who I was or how to behave. 2. A key aspect of this stage is the hero stepping outside of their ordinary culture, and into a different world, with different rules. Describe the biggest "culture shock" you've ever experienced. What was so strange about it? How did it make you feel? My parents are separated since I was about five years old and the two of them have very different types of life styles and cultures. My mother is a social worker and is what I would call a middle class woman, when my father on the other hand is a professional golf trainer and his own business and is doing quite well. In the company of my father’s friends and visiting is work I feel like I don’t belong, like an outsider. So since my childhood has been pending between these to “cultures” I feel like I am pretty tolerant in the face of different cultures. And try to add there point of view to mine instead of replace it with my old one or to adapt to it. Because I think that it is in seeing things from different views that can make one understand. 3. Read this article on homeostasis in the human body. (web.archive.org/web/20141006124710/http:.../what-is-homeostasis) This is a picture of a certain system. It describes 6 elements which must be controlled. Pick any one of these elements. What do you think would happen if this element was halved? What about if the same element was doubled? How would that affect the system? If possible, please relate your answers to the idea of homeostasis in the Hero's Journey, described in this topic. My choice of element is easy I am a diabetic so I could ramble on forever about what happens to the body and how it feels and such if the sugar is doubled or halved, but I won’t because that would be boring for you to read, but if you have any questions about diabetics or you just want to talk about it, feel free to contact me. I love discussing it with others. To give a simple and quick answer you would die. And that goes for all the elements there has to be a balance to sustain life. And I think that goes for the point of no return as well if the hero are too attached to the stage of the monomyth that hero is in right now he might make excuses no to leave. And if he is to eager to leave he might miss the value of the point of no return and the stage of monomyth that he is currently in. 4. There are a number of thresholds at TOTJO. An obvious one is joining the Temple and making your first post. Describe your experience of starting out here. How did you feel? What were you major concerns? Can you think of further thresholds here at TOTJO? It felt like I found people who had the same idea of thinking, beliefs of the force and the same tolerance towards other people and curiosity. It felt like I found something that was missing in my life and it doesn't go a day without me thinking of our order and the meaning of it and what it has done to me as a human being. When I did my application to join as a guest I was lyrical. I had so high hopes of what I had found and my expectations were very high and the Temple lived up to theme times ten, and has taught me things I didn't thought was possible. As for further thresholds I believe that completing the initiation program is also an obvious one, and so is all the different rankings in the Temple are thresholds. But I also believe that it is in all the things we learn in every sermons that make me think of things in a different way that is testing my beliefs and reasoning how things work. And in all the lessons and all the other members of the temple. They become a threshold because they define who I am by questioning what I think and makes me think of myself and how I think over and over again.
    • BBC News - "Have Jedis created a new religion... (Last post by Proteus)
    • I feel, we are only what we are, both on an individual basis, and on a whole. I am a part of the community known as real world Jedi. However, I am just Ethan. I have many sources of inspiration both fictional and non-fictional. I will not try to speak for nor flat represent the entire community since I am only one member in it. So, whether or not this group uses one particular source of inspiration or another, or none at all, does not concern me. We all have other sources of inspiration other than just Jedi and those sources are always present in one way or another. We can acknowledge our inspiration from Star Wars, but we can also acknowledge our inspiration from whatever else we each personally derive that inspiration from. It makes no difference. However, I feel none of you should be neither ashamed nor attached to any one source, such as Jedi. It is meant as a loose reference, picked as a personal choice, representing a deeper reference to simply "the hero" in every individual, as part of a larger story we all comprise. At the end of the day, do whatever you want to do with the terms and labels. Just don't let yourself be insecure about it in either manner. :)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg Biceps 15 x 3 Push ups 15 x 3 Sit ups 15 x 3 crunches 15 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 Push ups 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg Biceps
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: I've seen miniature altars/sacred spaces that are created within a used/recycled Altoids tin with a hinged lid. I've always like these because they are very simple, and travel well. That and a book would be all I need. These are both adorable and terribly functional. A friend of mine made something similar (but slightly larger) for his work in the woods, and I have one that's about the size of a tall cigar box.
    • Further Religious Structure (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: Most people here tend to enjoy the looseness of the doctrine, and if it were more specific then it would, as has already been mentioned, cut some people out. That said, one of the joys of the way this faith is currently structured is that if you (as an individual) want it more strict or more cohesive or more whatever for you, it can be. You just can't expect everyone else to follow along with it, because it won't suit everyone.
    • Halloween Movie Suggestions (Last post by Proteus)
    • Quote: The Legend of Hell House (1973) - A group of ghost hunters find what they've been looking for in a spooky old mansion. Ohh! I didn't think there was anybody else I would ever meet who knew about the Legend of Hell House! I watched it as a kid and had nightmares about it for weeks! :D
    • Idea: topic/thread for insomniacs (Last post by Exarchias)
    • Quote: Quote: I always have called it the hour of the wolf or homework time when I was younger. I was exactly the same as a teenager... 3am was my usual essay writing time! At the night (the small hours) there are few advantages that we make a use of. The connection is better, we don't have distractions, (the distractions are sleeping), and it is quiet and cozy. Good choice for writing :)
    • The Never-Ending Story... (Last post by Proteus)
    • I grew up on the movie (and the sequel, but only the first one). I hadn't thought much about it since those days, so this connection to Buddhism is new to me (and rather interesting). I've read some reviews of the book which I think I would like to read someday. Given what I have learned about the Hero's Journey, and religions such as Buddhism, I think it might be an interesting read. As for that video itself, I actually don't know where they were trying to go with one character being overly dramatic and the other being dismissive - whether they were trying to support what they were pointing out or if they were just making fun of it, or both for some reason?
    • Virtues or Choices? (Last post by Llama Su)
    • Hurry up, but wait... :sick: :dry: :laugh: We all have to exist by rules, and natural universal law... There is a time and place to know the right "choice" to hurry or to wait... :silly: Conscious awareness of the impact of either, in the moment, is in our mastering the way of the tenants: Focus, knowledge, wisdom... The practice of teaching number eight. To have a patient mind and patient action, matched or balanced... Patience is of high value for it is inner work, self actualization.... Patience can accompany any other virtue, this is why I personally think it is the greatest of. To not have patience shows or exhibits desire, an attachment to expectation to rush or hurry, and or of young/youthful/immature/ or weak mind... A selfish trait to take/ receive/ demand patience in others for you, yet to have/ provide/ give no patience in others... I think it takes a conscious awareness, maybe choice, to balance the hurry with the wait... Just my opinion...
    • It would seem i've posted this in the wrong place.... (Last post by Adder)
    • [image] Mine catching up on the Jay Oh at the Tee Oh Tee. Had a diabetes type 2 diagnosis a couple of years ago, good news is after about 800 injections she is now 2 months off all medication, symptom free, and testing all healthy!!! Fingers xed.

There are 484 visitors, 20 guests and 23 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, ren, Darren, Gisteron, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, microft, Pyrus Erath, SeventhSL, porkapon763, AlexanderJ.W, Goken, Acheron, Revan Falton, Tarran, Exarchias, WRThore, Dynamite, Cozzy, derekandrew34@gmail.com, TheStoneCub, Martind12, Luv Dr, Ja1979, Treasaigh, thomasjhpowell, Scyver, Stotty, Nick0b, Roberto, Simonyoung, lukee1234.

Follow Us