Abolish Marriage

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 03:06 #51593

• Ausar
  • ID: 9333
This debate is futile as if someone would ask to banish all white underwears because "now days we have good dyes and because white underwears are so totaly not fashion"... Who we are to debate of such personnal things/choices?

Get married if you want and don't if you disagree with the marriage, but never impose your own personnal choices to others... Did i missed something last night while i was asleep? Are we still in a free society?

There's marriages in every religions, there's even peoples who follow a religion just to get a religious wedding (like my sister). Even here, we have a Jedi clergy who can marry peoples... talking of it, i wonder why none already clearly answered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:10 #51608

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I'll just say again that I love the temple and this community. Personally, I don't need to get married but I want to. I believe in that lifelong commitment. I've become a lot more open than I was in high school to same-sex marriage. Before people get mad, I was raised Mormon and was taught that it was horrible. In california, they still campaign against it. As I've said, I'm a lot more open and accepting since I left the church and began exploring. As many have said, marriage is a choice. It doesn't have to be religious. It can also be performed with the court. I don't think the big, extravagant ceremonies are necessary, yet I think if someone wants to have one, that's their choice.
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:15 #51609

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Ah. I'm part of the clergy and did respond...everyone(regardless of race,gender,or orientation) should be free to choose if,when,how, and to whom they marry...to rob them of that freedom would be simply wrong
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:04 #51618

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
I didnt respond, honestly because I didnt think this was worthy to respond too, haha. Anyone who believes in marriage shouldnt be denied the right. If you dont want to be married, it's simple, dont get married.
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:29 #51620

Sorry I have not been as involved as I should be, been working a lot of hours.

Basically I am pro-civil union as long as the people are of appropriate age and whatnot.

The problematic thing about marriage is that it's got an ambiguous definition. For instance in my religion (United Methodist), marriage is understood an egalitarian relationship, whereas to, say, a Fundamentalist Baptist, it would be heirarchial. I'm all for civil unions, and whatever religious bond two people agree on should be a seperate matter. Personally I have a problem with the word "marriage." Marriage is inherently heirarchial, and even religions that teach egalitarian marriage are simply trying to reform marriage and tweak it to fit their morality. I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism. It's like calling sex "consensual rape." I'd rather consider consensual to be a whole different thing than rape...

On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:35 #51622

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:38 #51623

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
Star Forge wrote:
On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.

So the question here comes back to a debate of whether the state has any right to interfere in religious affairs. I suppose that there is no reason why a religious ritual should be recognized by the state, other than that, as many have said, marriage is considered a right and should you wish to get married then you probably ought to have that option available to you. Many religious people see the religious aspect of the marriage ceremony as essential and non-negotiable, and therefore it feels to me that banning marriage and only recognizing non-religious civil ceremonies would 'penalize' them for their belief in God.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:39 #51624

Strats wrote:
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

And I'm cool if people want to call it marriage, as some people believe in heirarchial unions (like Baptists, as the example above states). I just want people to stop using religious terminology in laws. If people want to make whatever committment at whatever religious institution, go ahead, but I don't want that terminology forced on anyone else.

I like the idea of being celibate, but if by some turn of events I were to find someone I liked, I wouldn't even dream of using the world "marriage," as to me it's just sexist. I say the only thing governments should do is civil unions. Whatever ceremony one wants to have at their church and what it means for them religiously is their business that I do not want leaked over into my life.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:42 #51625

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
It seems as if the complication then stems from a perception issue of the term "marriage" between the government and a religious party doing the "adjoining".
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012 07:43 by Strats.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:50 #51626

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
Star Forge wrote:
I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism.

I have never heard anyone say this before, and am honestly quite dissapointed that anyone would label marriage like that. It's short sighted and speaks volumes of their maturity. The institution of marriage does not represent any idea of sexism, only the people involved in the relationship can do that. If we look at the bible (example) it says the man shall be head of the household, but shall give back to the women tenfold, (paraphrasing). That doesnt sound very sexist to me. Grant it, there are differences around the world, but that is not the institution of marriage, that is the local cultures influence. As I said before, dont get married, spend 5 years living together and have a common law binding (5 years in the state of Oklahoma), and be happy :) I dont care, and I'm certainly not going to attack the common law binding that legally makes you two, one.

(NOTE: All comments in before stated paragraph are meant the reader thingking, and not meant as a personal attack one anyone or anything, because I stated, that's not right.)
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: I don't disagree with Michael Harner's distillation of animistic technique and ritual in The Way of the Shaman, but any time you lump wildly different groups of people together, I get twitchy. I'm not at odds with your thoughts and feelings on borrowing spiritual ideas from other cultures, but at the same time I am comfortable picking and choosing (re: former chaos magician). I think it's sad that in the case of shamanism people from cultures that traditionally employed shamans and shamanic techniques are hurt by the "appropriation" of their belief systems, though it is an undisputed reality that all forms of shamanism borrow heavily from previous shamanic traditions and (as you noted) shamanic animism is roughly the same across different cultures. Because I have a tendency to use what works in my magical practices, I occasionally come across people who are upset about that fact. Generally, if I sit down with them and explain how important respect of cultures, people, and their individual practices is to me and that I comprehend the inner workings of particular customs and conventions, they relax quite a bit. I think, for the most part, people simply want their cultures and beliefs to be appreciated and understood. That said, not everyone is respectful of the roots of their magical or spiritual practices, and that's unfortunate.
    • Gisteron (Last post by Llama Su)
    • Doing well on Earth... = driving a ferrarri?? :laugh: Superficial materialistic success is not doing well on Earth... Quite the opposite... The Earth is already in space so.... Heavenly people are also earthly people.
    • Loosing a Loved one (Last post by peace)
    • My father past away a few weeks ago and I have been very devastated and weakened. For a couple of days, the Force just left me and then came back out of no where. My journey has been tough, due to loosing 10 friends from cancer, almost dying during surgery and now this. could my life be any better? I think it could be, because I believe it could. With the Force by my side, and all the helpful people here on this site, darkness will never consume me. I feel for once that I am totally in peace and like myself once again. What I want to know is your experience. When did you loose a loved one and how did you feel? Did you ever be yourself again? Do you honor their death in your own way? Has it changed you? You decide.
    • Helping the Homeless? (Last post by peace)
    • Where I live, California has homeless shelters and homes where they have volunteers who help feed the homeless. I on the other hand, helped upgrade one by changing it to a luxurious, fancy hotel lobby style. This place now has added chandeliers, no dirty smells, the floors and polished and cleaned daily, in house bathrooms with showers and even tables for you to sit in. This place is now hoping with homeless people. It is now visited by 10,000 homeless visitors daily. All thanks to me, the world is a little brighter, happier and nicer.
    • Pop killed the Rock star (Last post by Arcade)
    • I listen to music throughout 99% of my day (if at all possible) :) and buy a fair amount of music, and good rock bands are definitely still out there and abundant (in fact, I have a number of friends in relatively successful local rock bands). In many ways, the music industry has moved from the television and radio model (which is quickly becoming antiquated) to the internet model of music distribution. A large percentage of bands and musicians are now on labels of their own creation because they want to skip the greedy middlemen. Sadly, pop culture has always been about what they want you to listen to (as Senan well knows). I worked at a Top 40 radio station throughout high school and they really did have 40 songs they played each day (with few exceptions). Rock will never die. There will always be people, like yourself, with a love for the classic rock sound. ;) Rock will probably continue to evolve in some ways, and at this point in pop culture that means integrating electronic sounds. I love electronic music, so I initially came at this from a slightly different point of view... where electronic musicians introduced me to rock. I now listen to hybrid bands (rock and electronic) and bands that only use instruments (along with the necessary amplification equipment when they perform). Personally, I think there's room in the world for all of them. :) It sucks that the TV stations you like have changed their focus so dramatically. For better or worse, you may have to change your focus to find what you're looking for online or at live performances.
    • Connor is back (Last post by Psyddhattha)
    • My brother trained as an opera singer then after college pretty much gave up singing and did various jobs for ten years or so. He's just got back into it and although he is less financially stable he seems much happier than he has in years now he's teaching and performing again. Follow your bliss man!
    • Best star wars movie/scene (Last post by Luthien)
    • I also like the scene where the two Skywalkers, father and son, duel it out and the father's love of his son empowered him to save the son.
    • What Jedi in canon reminded Light their entire car... (Last post by Streen)
    • It depends on what you consider canon. Here's a list off the top of my head: Streen Tionne Kam Solusar Anakin Solo Corran Horn (aka Keiran Halcyon) Leia Organa Solo more I just looked up (but should have remembered) :dry: : Dorsk 81 Kirana Ti Cilghal Ganner Rhysode Tenel Ka Lowbacca Ben Skywalker That's a surprisingly short list though, considering how many Jedi there are in the EU. I found that all the others I read about did have a brush with the dark side. Not a great track record, eh?
    • Elite: Dangerous (Last post by Streen)
    • If I'm not mistaken, open Beta starts today. Ya'll might want to see if you can download it :D Adder, have you played the game? I ask because you basically described exactly what the game is like. Energy weapons, ballistics, energy transfers between weapons, shields, and engines, gimballed weapons, locking weapons on target... that's all fact. Of course, you have to make money in-game to afford the better weapon systems and larger and/or higher quality ships. The one thing I love about the game is the same thing I hate. It's complicated. I've been playing for a couple weeks now and I still haven't figured out what I'm supposed to do, or some of the more unclear functions of my ship. But then, that's cool, because it means I can do whatever I want. The main problem is making money/trading. Still haven't figured that out either. Quote: Are there 400 thousand million stars in this galaxy ? :huh: I'm sorry, LOL. :silly: The game doesn't take place in OUR galaxy. The number is right, as the game claims, though I imagine it is somehow randomized since it would be impossible to program 400 billion star systems. One last point to make is that to play the game properly, you'll need a joystick. I've tried playing with a mouse, xbox controller, and one low-end joystick. I wasn't satisfied with control of my ship until I got the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. It comes with a separate throttle and even more buttons :laugh: It's pretty hardcore. There are much more complex and expensive ones though, so this was a compromise. If any of you guys end up playing, let me know!
    • Quick Question (Last post by tzb)
    • For the Krishnamurti, yes: www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamurti-teach...hp?tid=1294&chid=993 For the Watts, you'd need to look at something like this: www.amazon.com/Still-Mind-An-Introductio...tation/dp/1577312147 - it's not the exact same material but I imagine it's near enough for the IP's purposes.
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Quote: Different people might get different things from questions, what is 'truth' is best described as whatever helps that person progress closer to moving forward in whatever areas of their life they seek improvement. Doesn't mean we have to ignore the facts in that process. So what if there is a proposition that is not factual but does help the person in the sense that you suggest? By your definition it would then still be truth. So while truth doesn't necessarily conflict with reality, it can, by your standard. Now do you yourself find that an appropriate standard? I suppose this comes down to semantics anyway. Surely there may potentially be partially beneficial things that are in conflict with reality, its just that I couldn't label them as "true" from that point on, because my definition of truth is one that does require conformity with reality. I think growth is the drive of human learning, so its sort of in that context. In complexity 'correct' does not have to mean completely true, it can just mean movement towards truth.... depends on what is being asked I suppose. Not everything has empirical standards to be assessed by, but yes I think I understand what your saying - its why I tried to make a subtle differentiation by using two different terms, between truth (how I used it then) and fact.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • SIMPLE BLOOD TEST COULD DETECT ALL TYPES OF CANCER Researchers in the U.K. think we’re getting close to a simple blood test that can diagnose all cancers. Early results show how it can identify cancer and pre-cancerous conditions in patients with melanoma, colon cancer, and lung cancer. By helping doctors rule out certain diseases in people with symptoms, the test could save time and money while preventing the need for painful, invasive procedures like biopsies. Known as the Lymphocyte Genome Sensitivity (LGS) assay, the test looks at white blood cells called lymphocytes and the damage caused to their DNA when subjected to different intensities of ultraviolet light, which causes damage to genetic material. “White blood cells are part of the body’s natural defense system. We know that they are under stress when they are fighting cancer or other diseases, so I wondered whether anything measurable could be seen if we put them under further stress with UVA light,” Diana Anderson from the University of Bradford explains in a news release. Anderson and colleagues examined the lymphocyte responses in 208 people: 20 with melanoma, 34 with colon cancer, 4 with lung cancer, 18 with suspected melanoma, 28 with polyposis, and 10 with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and 94 healthy volunteers. The samples were coded, randomized, and then exposed to UVA light through five different depths of agar. They found a clear distinction between the damage to the white blood cells from patients with cancer, patients with pre-cancerous conditions, and healthy patients. “People with cancer have DNA which is more easily damaged by ultraviolet light than other people,” Anderson says, “so the test shows the sensitivity to damage of all the DNA -- the genome -- in a cell.” UVA damage shows up in the form of pieces of DNA pulled in an electric field towards the positive end of the field; this creates a tail like the one you’d see trailing a comet. In the LGS test, the longer the comet-like tail, the more DNA damage. The measurements correlated to those patients who were ultimately diagnosed with cancer (58), those with pre-cancerous conditions (56), and those who don’t have cancer (94). A clinical trial is currently underway to test the effectiveness of the LGS test at predicting which patients would benefit from a colonoscopy. The work was published in the FASEB Journal last week Read more at www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/s...#Er4DyxelXKlfkt3D.99

There are 428 visitors, 10 guests and 28 members online (3  are in chat): Akkarin, Octagon, steamboat28, Fluke, Jestor, ren, Joe, SenseiMitPen, Adhara, Learn_To_Know, Desolous, Gisteron, Proteus, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, scott777ab, PatrickB, Khaos, Whyte Horse, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Edan, tzb, peace, benedictveritas, Ana Mica, Trice Corbel, Cabur Senaar, Harel, TambelSadera, porkapon763, Emperit.

Follow Us