Abolish Marriage

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 03:06 #51593

• Ausar
  • ID: 9333
This debate is futile as if someone would ask to banish all white underwears because "now days we have good dyes and because white underwears are so totaly not fashion"... Who we are to debate of such personnal things/choices?

Get married if you want and don't if you disagree with the marriage, but never impose your own personnal choices to others... Did i missed something last night while i was asleep? Are we still in a free society?

There's marriages in every religions, there's even peoples who follow a religion just to get a religious wedding (like my sister). Even here, we have a Jedi clergy who can marry peoples... talking of it, i wonder why none already clearly answered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:10 #51608

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I'll just say again that I love the temple and this community. Personally, I don't need to get married but I want to. I believe in that lifelong commitment. I've become a lot more open than I was in high school to same-sex marriage. Before people get mad, I was raised Mormon and was taught that it was horrible. In california, they still campaign against it. As I've said, I'm a lot more open and accepting since I left the church and began exploring. As many have said, marriage is a choice. It doesn't have to be religious. It can also be performed with the court. I don't think the big, extravagant ceremonies are necessary, yet I think if someone wants to have one, that's their choice.
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:15 #51609

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Ah. I'm part of the clergy and did respond...everyone(regardless of race,gender,or orientation) should be free to choose if,when,how, and to whom they marry...to rob them of that freedom would be simply wrong
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:04 #51618

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
I didnt respond, honestly because I didnt think this was worthy to respond too, haha. Anyone who believes in marriage shouldnt be denied the right. If you dont want to be married, it's simple, dont get married.
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:29 #51620

Sorry I have not been as involved as I should be, been working a lot of hours.

Basically I am pro-civil union as long as the people are of appropriate age and whatnot.

The problematic thing about marriage is that it's got an ambiguous definition. For instance in my religion (United Methodist), marriage is understood an egalitarian relationship, whereas to, say, a Fundamentalist Baptist, it would be heirarchial. I'm all for civil unions, and whatever religious bond two people agree on should be a seperate matter. Personally I have a problem with the word "marriage." Marriage is inherently heirarchial, and even religions that teach egalitarian marriage are simply trying to reform marriage and tweak it to fit their morality. I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism. It's like calling sex "consensual rape." I'd rather consider consensual to be a whole different thing than rape...

On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:35 #51622

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:38 #51623

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
Star Forge wrote:
On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.

So the question here comes back to a debate of whether the state has any right to interfere in religious affairs. I suppose that there is no reason why a religious ritual should be recognized by the state, other than that, as many have said, marriage is considered a right and should you wish to get married then you probably ought to have that option available to you. Many religious people see the religious aspect of the marriage ceremony as essential and non-negotiable, and therefore it feels to me that banning marriage and only recognizing non-religious civil ceremonies would 'penalize' them for their belief in God.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:39 #51624

Strats wrote:
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

And I'm cool if people want to call it marriage, as some people believe in heirarchial unions (like Baptists, as the example above states). I just want people to stop using religious terminology in laws. If people want to make whatever committment at whatever religious institution, go ahead, but I don't want that terminology forced on anyone else.

I like the idea of being celibate, but if by some turn of events I were to find someone I liked, I wouldn't even dream of using the world "marriage," as to me it's just sexist. I say the only thing governments should do is civil unions. Whatever ceremony one wants to have at their church and what it means for them religiously is their business that I do not want leaked over into my life.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:42 #51625

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
It seems as if the complication then stems from a perception issue of the term "marriage" between the government and a religious party doing the "adjoining".
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012 07:43 by Strats.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:50 #51626

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
Star Forge wrote:
I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism.

I have never heard anyone say this before, and am honestly quite dissapointed that anyone would label marriage like that. It's short sighted and speaks volumes of their maturity. The institution of marriage does not represent any idea of sexism, only the people involved in the relationship can do that. If we look at the bible (example) it says the man shall be head of the household, but shall give back to the women tenfold, (paraphrasing). That doesnt sound very sexist to me. Grant it, there are differences around the world, but that is not the institution of marriage, that is the local cultures influence. As I said before, dont get married, spend 5 years living together and have a common law binding (5 years in the state of Oklahoma), and be happy :) I dont care, and I'm certainly not going to attack the common law binding that legally makes you two, one.

(NOTE: All comments in before stated paragraph are meant the reader thingking, and not meant as a personal attack one anyone or anything, because I stated, that's not right.)
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Calanon)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: During a operation my unit was dispatched and found a place where children were being used as sex slaves.. When I saw a little boy and I mean like 6 years old being double teamed by 2 grown men you know what I did? put a bullet in them and then you know what got me in a shit ton of trouble? when after 3 children we saved begged me to kill them as well to save them from the shame of what had happened to them I did as they had asked. When my wife was raped by three men because she married to an american my father in law would have had them killed anyways but it was my job to do it and I did it..not out of revenge or vengeance but because in my culture it is the right thing to do..My world has been very violent and dark for a very long time so thats why there is a violent response in me when it comes to things.. You claim to be the Jedi Messiah, but admit to murdering seven people. How do you define murder? Murder is killing and removing the life force of another. It is not to any human to decide who lives and who dies. That is no more than vigilante justice. Now. As to this nonsense about disposing of weapons used to kill people I will not keep silent about it. To dispose of weapons you need weapons. Because you will have to force everyone who disagrees with disposing of the weapons to submit to such an act. Then when all the good, law abiding citizens are unarmed, the criminals who pretended to give up all their weaponry will go on a rampage and crime will go up. Murder will be rampant. Rape will occur all the time. But it goes further. Let's suppose for a moment that you succeed in getting rid of all the weapons in existence. There will be no humans at all left alive. There will be no substance at all. No rocks, not trees, no earth. No water. No fire. Nothing. Have you even considered the scope of this idea? Mankind has been finding ways to kill since before there were guns and knives and spears. They killed with rocks, and water, and fire. They've been killing almost since the dawn of time. Even the human body itself is a lethal weapon, which you ought to know. You claim to be military. Or at least former military. If your training was done right, then you already know I could kill you 10+ ways with a toothpick without batting an eye. Not all peaceful Jedi are non-militant. Traditional Peace-keeping methods are very violent. Jedi at peace are often that way for good reason. In other words, it is not possible in any way, shape or form, to remove all weapons used to kill people, without the slaughter you are trying to prevent by removing them. The solutions you are putting forth to end the violence will only cause more in the process. You need to think these things through.
    • HAPPINESS (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each Bows I have copied a few items here and added my own thoughts. Hope you like it. It has helped me when my PTSD has a pop at taking over my existence :) A common goal in life (I would hope) is probably happiness. This is a tricky situation because happiness isn’t just one state of being, it’s within the mind, the self. It’s the ability to take what life has given you and to personalize it in a way that benefits you. If you work at happiness, maybe (just maybe), you will find something that satisfies you temporarily. Honestly, happiness is simply a by-product of living a loving, meaningful life. I do not think there is a guide, rules, or manual that will teach anyone how to live a “happy” life. There is advice, however, that can teach you how to approach certain situations to gain the best result. “Happiness is not determined by what’s happening around you, but rather what’s happening inside you. Most people depend on others to gain happiness, but the truth is, it always comes from within.” – Anonymous True happiness comes from surrounding yourself with people whom you love and love you in return. If the people you surround yourself with are bringing you down, then you should avoid them. You should eliminate the negative in your life, you will be that much happier. Why would you choose to spend time with people that are holding you back when you can surround yourself with people that can elevate you? One of the biggest challenges in life is learning to accept people for who they truly are. Once you realize that your expectations cannot change people, the better off you will be. The problem will arise when the expectations do not materialize. If you find that you are going out of your way much more than the people you surround yourself with, it may be time to make some adjustments. I may suffer with PTSD but I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. Misery, torment unhappiness, sadness even fear are only born out of our own perceptions. Some of these feelings are thoughts and therefore not fact. It can be so hard to make real progress in life when you are stumbling over old hurdles. Looking at your immediate surroundings and finding there is something that is not bringing value and meaning to your life, then get rid of it. Do not feel obligated to hold on to something that is only making you miserable. You owe it to yourself to lead the best possible existence you can muster up. You, and only you, are in control of your happiness and when you choose to expand your mind and to focus on the good, you will be happier. Obviously it is different for everyone we are all unique, but once you stop looking for excuses as to why you cannot be happy, you will find so many reasons as to why you can. People make these justifications to prevent themselves from achieving greatness. This is a horrible mistake to make in life because all you are doing is sabotaging yourself. “I do not fix problems. I fix my thinking. Then problems fix themselves.” - Louise Hay Everything you experience throughout the course of your life is unique to you, since your perception is what is shaping your reality. Expectation in others can lead to misgivings. I think this is because you falsely assumed someone’s behaviour would match your expectations. What happens when you realize the complete and utter error of your ways? You grow increasingly upset because you cannot wrap your mind around why someone would behave in this manner. That’s because you could never do something like that, so it’s difficult to understand the reasoning behind someone else’s actions. That is their way and you cannot police everyone. You can do things that will make you happy in the sense by gauging a situation. If circumstances will upset you, then you need to avoid them; actively realize what brings you joy and what brings you sadness. This is a way to ensure a happy existence. There is virtually no simpler way to recognize this. Something either brings you pain or pleasure and the things that bring you pleasure are what you should dedicate your time to. “The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days waiting for better ones ahead.” -Marjorie Pay Hinckley. Focusing on the present moment is crucial; if you spend your time wallowing in the past or worrying about the future, you are only going to stress yourself out. Actively engage yourself in what you are currently doing and immerse yourself fully. Appreciate the fact that you are able to do whatever it is you are doing and realize how fortunate you are in shaping your own life. “Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.” – Thomas Jefferson Learn to depend on yourself rather than others to bring you fulfillment. Only once you are happy on your own, can you hope to share your happiness with others. If you don’t, your unhappiness will resurface and manifest itself in destructive ways. You cannot hope to have any sort of successful relationship, whether it’s in the platonic sense, romantic sense or business sense. If you aren’t comfortable with yourself, how do you ever expect any relationship to flourish? I always use the saying. Do not search for happiness all you will become is very good at searching. Practice being happy and you will be 
    • Jediism, connect multiple communitys and orders. [... (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: I courious, 32 votes out of how many active people? I'd like to know how many people see/view the survey if it's possible? Does anyone have an idea how many people are active on the forum? Maybe an estimated range or how many unique visits/posts a week or something like that? 32 out of 32 active voting means something different from 32 out of 1,000 Rickie, it is not the point of 32 out of xx the point is that I want a good understanding of the active members that are interested. People who are interested can vote, people who are neutral can and people who are dislike it should vote to. The big idea behind this is to get some basic numbers that will support my pre-plan that I want to make. If the temple vote against the plan, there will not be a pre-plan. No support means not creating a plan. If the temple vote with the plan, there will be a consideration for a plan. Still it does not mean it will be there because a vote says it.. Voting is just a number.. To help me understanding the wishes of the temple :) To know if what I want to do is useful :3
    • How can we be taken seriously? (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: "Jediism" is not a copyrighted name, we would probably just call ourselves "Jediists". Temple of the Jediist Order and such. I misread John's post - whoops :P
    • Inglorius... film discussion. (Last post by Streen)
    • Call me morbid if you wish, but I love that movie. I think it's a classic. Violent, yes, but hilarious at points. Now, onto the Nazi issue... The Nazis as an institution murdered and destroyed lives for millions. Did every Nazi soldier kill Jews? Probably not. But if they wore the symbol, they knew what it represented, and in my book they did not deserve compassion. I'm one of those people who, were I given the chance to go back in time, would kill Hitler before he had the chance to murder millions. It would be a necessary evil, as I see it. Then again, that is mere speculation, and seeing as how we can't time travel, the question is moot. I can't prevent World War II, and I can't prevent the holocaust. People who currently call themselves Nazis are either misguided, evil, or insane.

There are 118 visitors, 6 guests and 25 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Firewolf, Joe, MikeBudo, Nakis, Adder, Brian, Darren, Psyddhattha, Proteus, MJ Hannigan, scott777ab, ckott, Arcade, Talariq, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, benedictveritas, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Jeffery Williams, Arexblade.

Follow Us