Abolish Marriage

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 03:06 #51593

• Ausar
  • ID: 9333
This debate is futile as if someone would ask to banish all white underwears because "now days we have good dyes and because white underwears are so totaly not fashion"... Who we are to debate of such personnal things/choices?

Get married if you want and don't if you disagree with the marriage, but never impose your own personnal choices to others... Did i missed something last night while i was asleep? Are we still in a free society?

There's marriages in every religions, there's even peoples who follow a religion just to get a religious wedding (like my sister). Even here, we have a Jedi clergy who can marry peoples... talking of it, i wonder why none already clearly answered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:10 #51608

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I'll just say again that I love the temple and this community. Personally, I don't need to get married but I want to. I believe in that lifelong commitment. I've become a lot more open than I was in high school to same-sex marriage. Before people get mad, I was raised Mormon and was taught that it was horrible. In california, they still campaign against it. As I've said, I'm a lot more open and accepting since I left the church and began exploring. As many have said, marriage is a choice. It doesn't have to be religious. It can also be performed with the court. I don't think the big, extravagant ceremonies are necessary, yet I think if someone wants to have one, that's their choice.
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 06:15 #51609

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Ah. I'm part of the clergy and did respond...everyone(regardless of race,gender,or orientation) should be free to choose if,when,how, and to whom they marry...to rob them of that freedom would be simply wrong
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:04 #51618

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
I didnt respond, honestly because I didnt think this was worthy to respond too, haha. Anyone who believes in marriage shouldnt be denied the right. If you dont want to be married, it's simple, dont get married.
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Ausar

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:29 #51620

Sorry I have not been as involved as I should be, been working a lot of hours.

Basically I am pro-civil union as long as the people are of appropriate age and whatnot.

The problematic thing about marriage is that it's got an ambiguous definition. For instance in my religion (United Methodist), marriage is understood an egalitarian relationship, whereas to, say, a Fundamentalist Baptist, it would be heirarchial. I'm all for civil unions, and whatever religious bond two people agree on should be a seperate matter. Personally I have a problem with the word "marriage." Marriage is inherently heirarchial, and even religions that teach egalitarian marriage are simply trying to reform marriage and tweak it to fit their morality. I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism. It's like calling sex "consensual rape." I'd rather consider consensual to be a whole different thing than rape...

On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:35 #51622

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:38 #51623

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
Star Forge wrote:
On a side note, if the government only recognized civil unions, it would do away with debate over gay marriage. It wouldn't be all this business of having heterosexual marriage, and then gay civil unions. There would only be civil unions period, with no distinction. Not that that's a real big issue of mine, just saying.

So the question here comes back to a debate of whether the state has any right to interfere in religious affairs. I suppose that there is no reason why a religious ritual should be recognized by the state, other than that, as many have said, marriage is considered a right and should you wish to get married then you probably ought to have that option available to you. Many religious people see the religious aspect of the marriage ceremony as essential and non-negotiable, and therefore it feels to me that banning marriage and only recognizing non-religious civil ceremonies would 'penalize' them for their belief in God.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:39 #51624

Strats wrote:
Alright Star Forge, I am glad to see the clarification there. Makes much more sense when you word it like that. I agree that in a sense we humans have bastardized the meaning and core value of the word "marriage". We need to either improve the value of the word or create a new word that identifies a sacred relationship between two parties (two people) that have caring and loving feelings for one another.

And I'm cool if people want to call it marriage, as some people believe in heirarchial unions (like Baptists, as the example above states). I just want people to stop using religious terminology in laws. If people want to make whatever committment at whatever religious institution, go ahead, but I don't want that terminology forced on anyone else.

I like the idea of being celibate, but if by some turn of events I were to find someone I liked, I wouldn't even dream of using the world "marriage," as to me it's just sexist. I say the only thing governments should do is civil unions. Whatever ceremony one wants to have at their church and what it means for them religiously is their business that I do not want leaked over into my life.
I love the doctrine.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:42 #51625

• Strats
  • Novice
  • ID: 9564
It seems as if the complication then stems from a perception issue of the term "marriage" between the government and a religious party doing the "adjoining".
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012 07:43 by Strats.

Re: Abolish Marriage 26 Feb 2012 07:50 #51626

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
Star Forge wrote:
I believe they should instead abolish it and create a new type of union that has no root in sexism.

I have never heard anyone say this before, and am honestly quite dissapointed that anyone would label marriage like that. It's short sighted and speaks volumes of their maturity. The institution of marriage does not represent any idea of sexism, only the people involved in the relationship can do that. If we look at the bible (example) it says the man shall be head of the household, but shall give back to the women tenfold, (paraphrasing). That doesnt sound very sexist to me. Grant it, there are differences around the world, but that is not the institution of marriage, that is the local cultures influence. As I said before, dont get married, spend 5 years living together and have a common law binding (5 years in the state of Oklahoma), and be happy :) I dont care, and I'm certainly not going to attack the common law binding that legally makes you two, one.

(NOTE: All comments in before stated paragraph are meant the reader thingking, and not meant as a personal attack one anyone or anything, because I stated, that's not right.)
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Father knocks out sons abuser. (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • If nothing really ever changes then why are we here, at TotJO, and why discuss things? :blink: I like to think it is not because of some kind of self-delusion but rather we do have the option of changing and shaping that change. :P But I do believe that things change. The changes we, as a people try to implement may not be best and get changed back, but there are lots of changes that have not reverted. Like beating your wife is widely viewed as being bad whereas just a couple of hundred years ago it was perfectly acceptable so long as you didn’t use a stick that was thicker than your thumb, hence the rule of thumb. :ohmy:
    • Helping the Homeless? (Last post by Luthien)
    • My wife and I have given food on multiple occasions to people standing on the street because it's typically what they need. I can say that my wife has the bigger heart because, on one occasion, after we had just bought our food from a fast food joint, we saw this couple with all their stuff in backpacks holding a sign saying 'We need food. We're starving. Please help.' So, what does my wife do? Tells me to pull over and give them our food. I didn't protest because I thought, "What if that were us?" I prefer, if I'm going to give, to give food instead of money. But, like you said, what if the spare change you give to them helps them get a somewhat decent place to sleep? There are people out there who beg but don't need the money. I don't know who does or doesn't do that, but I'd rather give a free meal to someone than to be stingy about it. Honestly, I'd love to do something along the lines of what Bon Jovi did, opening a restaurant that takes donations for food. If someone can't pay for their meal, they can do volunteer work in exchange. www.jbjsoulkitchen.org/en
    • Forgiveness (Last post by Luthien)
    • [image] :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    • Still Around (Last post by scott777ab)
    • Quote: Quote: . I now try to keep most of my opinions to myself. Please don't. Your presence helps make this a better place. See my post above. Quote: Quote: For now I am going to go hide in my secret place. LOL. Please don't. Your presence helps make this a better place. By secret place I mean that place which is within. If you don't understand sorry. Those who do know what I am talking about.
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: Let go of your: logic, reason and evidence and soar in the sky once in a while. You'll get a different view of things from up there. People "fly" just fine with logic reason and evidence. There is no lack of wonder, and awe, for those who choose such a path. People with there "head in the couds" ( as opposed to feet on the ground I guess) have a different view, but just as a guy who has a view from the edge of a cliff from a person jumping off, well, it might help to have a healthy, logical, reasonable, understanding of gravity and that different isnt necessarily the point. Because you actually wont fly. I could easily reverse it, and tell you to let go of your nonsense, and get a different view, but that is not the point. I dont want to change views, nor change your view. I am seeking clarification on your view, and understanding,so is Gisteron. ' Ideas should compete, be tested, some weeded out if they dont hold up,etc. Then, they should change accordingly. I am less interested in to having my own singular, individual, different view, then I am about having the view that has been tested, peer reviewed, and applicable on a scale wider than my own little world. For which, in all you have presented, thats all it is. Things you choose to believe for no good reason other than it "makes you feel warm and fuzzy." If I do not proceed from reason, logic, and evidence, then I am simply taking your word for it, and that is preffered ignorance, which isnt flying. Kind of like planes. If people did not proceed from logic, reason, and evidence, we wouldnt have flown at all. To post your OP is fine, but most people, when offered anything are going to attempt to look deeper, and I cant see how thats not a good thing. Ideas should be discussed, tested, dissected, etc,because that is how we, as a species, have always surpassed our limits and "flown".
    • What are your opinions about euthanasia? (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Quote: If you have the correct conviction to end your own life you don't need to be so cruel as to ask someone else to do it unless extreme circumstances prevent you from acting on your own. Most everywhere in the US it is illegal to attempt to commit suicide and doctor or nurse who knowingly allows a patient to kill themself is considered complicit. So if you happen to fail to actually kill yourself, you can be in serious legal trouble (to say nothing of the psychiatric crap they'll put you through). I'm in favor of legalizing compassionate release. Life can be difficult when you're a relatively healthy, but if you've got some kind of progressively worsening condition, I can't imagine life is something you really want to cling to.
    • Words Mean Things. (Last post by ren)
    • en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_spelling_reform#History I think I'll forgive Jestor this one time :P
    • invitation to totjo (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Actually, I can probably be there. I'll be back in the states next week, and I'll have the "right" time zone. I can't make any guarantees right now. But, if nobody cares, I can give a fair representation of what it's like to study the IP, work through part of an Apprenticeship, and go through the Clerical Training, even holding a minor staff position.
    • Live Service - Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'll be conducting a live service on Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC. The sermon part of this live service would be available as a normal sermon for everyone to read. To find out what this time would be on your timezone click here.
    • Cognitive Dissonance - Your Thoughts (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Well it seems to me knowing yourself: likes, dislikes, desires and expectations would be helpfull? Then knowing your limits while working to expand them would keep dissonance to a minimum? I think it's all about: living, learning and becoming a better person. Don't get hung up on your flaws and keep on keeping on.

There are 276 visitors, 8 guests and 30 members online (none are in chat): Br. John, Octagon, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Karn, ren, Joe, Nakis, Connor L., Wescli Wardest, Psyddhattha, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, scott777ab, PatrickB, Thiddex, Khaos, Buvan, Llama Su, elizabeth, Cyrith, tzb, Kaverael, jasonwilkins, benedictveritas, Mathew Erickson, marza tumud, Calanon, TambelSadera, Steelbreeze, Proximis, Diala.

Follow Us