Detachment as I see it

Moderators: Adder, Adhara
  • Page:

Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 01:08 #50840

so while I am waiting to fall asleep at night I use that time for reflection on my day. Well last night I started having thoughts (Out of nowhere it seems) on detachment and if it makes total sense. Not having read every forum post as of yet I am unsure if this was discussed but so what lol.

Detachment at least complete detachment is hard nowadays and a virtually impossible expectation after all most of us have partners or wives or children and detachment from that would be odd in my opinion

Attachment is good and can be a source of comfort when we are attached to the right things It is wrongful attachment and greed that causes the problems

that was the thoughts that came to me

May the force be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012 01:11 by Firewolf.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 05:07 #50847

• Darren
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
Detachment's impossible in the Force though, right? All is joined, there is no separation.
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 05:13 #50848

• Knarf
  • Novice
  • ID: 8297
As everything in live, there should be a balance.

Not complete detachment or attachment, but a middle way.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 05:16 #50849

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
Of course, one of the Vows of the Jedi from TOTJO's doctrine is the Vow of Attachment which affirms how important it is for us:

'The Vow of Attachment:
Attachment is vital to the life of the Jedi. The Jedi must know life and be intrinsically tied to it in order to better serve the will of the Force. Jedi must possess ties to the people around them and are encouraged to love. Love is a strong connection to the basis of humanity and can serve as a strong foundation of strength and encouragement when a Jedi needs them most.'

It seems to me that a Jedi's actions are often based in love and compassion so the ability to form attachments is essential for this. I agree with Firewolf when he says that the dangers of attachment lie in 'wrongful attachment', would I would see as something like possessiveness or addiction to something or someone, which can create such things as greed and jealousy, which tend to cloud our judgement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Planet of Chaos

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 06:21 #50854

Knarf I agree in the need for balance we must have balance

Darren everything is indeed connected but unfortunately most of Humanity do no see it as such hence they become self involved and form attachments to wrongful things

V-tog thanks for that very good

All great comments and observations
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012 06:22 by Firewolf.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 06:37 #50856

Very interesting subject. I think V-tog said it best in that attachment is an essential part of being human, and I'd go further by saying that only through attachment can we really hope to bring our divided race together. However, there certainly are forms of attachment that are not constructive, that alienate or degrade that which is creative or 'good'.

In the Star Wars movies for instance, the Jedi fell to the machinations of the Darkside, and from my perspective a very large reason for their failing was their almost mindless devotion to the concept that all attachments are the path to the Darkside. By working so hard to stave off that which you believe is wrong (but is actually inherent to humans), to the point where you hide from it and ignore it, you're only hastening your own end.

Now in the rejuvenated Jedi Order that Luke created, the age restriction was removed, as was the restriction on Jedi having attachment and romance in their life, and this led to a far more compassionate and healthy way of living. There is of course nothing wrong with someone making the personal choice to abstain from connections, but to deny that attachment exists is a serious flaw to any form of living.

However:
“Most of our troubles are due to our passionate desire for and attachment to things that we misapprehend as enduring entities.” ~Dalai Lama

Now in this sense I think the concept of non-attachment or detachment can be seen in a different light. The goal isn't to remove yourself from all emotions or purge yourself of feeling, it isn't even to deny yourself feelings that you have. Reaching detachment is reaching a point where you still have feelings, you can still love and be sad and feel anger, but these things are passing. They simply exist, they simply are, and one takes them as they are in the moment, being at peace with the fact that those attachments/feelings exist, but being able to continue without letting those things guide you one way or another. They simply are. Not good. Not bad.

Am I making any sense...? :pinch:
"My life, though ordinary enough, seems to haunt me-in uncommon ways." -David Holzman's Diary
“Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.” - Macbeth
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012 06:38 by Locksley.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 06:44 #50858

yes indeed you are and well put :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 06:48 #50859

It is my opinion that a Jedi will realise detachment from individual people, animals, objects etc when they truly understand that through the Force they are attached to all.

I believe that with this realisation a Jedi will be able to feel love and compassion for all things and can then truly serve the world as an instrument of peace.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 10:04 #50871

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Firewolf wrote:
Detachment at least complete detachment is hard nowadays and a virtually impossible expectation after all most of us have partners or wives or children and detachment from that would be odd in my opinion

I dont think the Jedi attachment is best considered the opposite of detachment. Yes, for us to cease being attached is to perform detachment to resume an unattached state, but the word attachment for me is used as a specific action, wheras detachment is usually intepreted more broadly as being completely detached, having no attachment, none at all...and as you say 'complete detachment'. In that way detachment seems for me to imply being perhaps cloistered, as in strict obediance to perpetual vows. For me this has relevance as a contemplative pursuit to reach and perhaps maintain enlightenment, or communion with God etc, depending on ones beliefs... for Jediism I guess being connected at a high level to the Force around us. I like to think Jediism is about living an engaged life with society at those higher levels of connection to the Force without having to be completely detached. So therefore detachment could be considered a tool to be used when required to refocus to an achieved level of mastery, or to try and attain higher levels of mastery.

I think how V-Tog pointed out that the Jedi Vow of Attachment is important because it is about understanding how to connect to the Force. Specifically, avoiding attachment's to things which actually distract from the connection to the Force. I'm not sure if we need to have any negative attachments, but if we do then I guess we'd need to counter-balance them with methods to reconnect to the Force.
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012 11:38 by Adder.

Re: Detachment as I see it 19 Feb 2012 11:23 #50876

Living without attachment is cold and tiresome. The attachments for me, are what keep me connected to this world, knowing full well that nothing is forever and everything has an end just as it has a beginning. But that just make them all the more precious.
  • Page:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "Quand j'étais bouddhiste je rendais fou ma famille et mes amis, mais maintenant que je suis devenu un bouddha, je ne dérange plus personne." ~ anonyme "When I was a Buddhist, I drove ma family and friends crazy, but now that I have become a Buddha, I don't bother anyone anymore." ~ anonymous
    • Favorite Art (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each I did this back in May Had no intention of doing any art as I'm not artistic but this does tell a story of my new begining and dealing with PTSD :)
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Quote: "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." -Charles Caleb Colton If it were done in an attempt of mockery I could see how some might get offended; but seriously!?!?!?!? :huh: Of course, if any of the people with their panties in a wad knew any Native Americans they would already know that we don’t really care what the white man does so long as he does it somewhere else. :ohmy: Hahahhahahhha :P :woohoo: And that of course is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge of the subject. :P :woohoo: ;) :whistle:
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I feel ya on the tat....just check the avatar...lol It does garner considerable attention...
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by tzb)
    • Here's my Star Wars themed vid: Another interesting point, when you donate to ALSA you can choose for the whole of your donation to go towards research: [image]
    • Volunteer Work (Last post by crystale)
    • I did post a topic on relationship with this,sorry my awkwardness :huh:
    • Volunteer Service (Last post by crystale)
    • Hello, in Brotherhood. Usually I not make new topics. I like to think that I can help,maybe with a small tip. I like to watch and preservate the nature of many things (without) ,or (in less) participation (mine) Maybe sound as contradiction that some times I like participate in some things that can create a trascendental change,this can to create my inner personal conmotion (as expression) I describe myself as a sensitive person This is my point: I want to offer some service,in relationship to help some people that (in middle of maybe a tiring,or some times violent society,some of us can to feel tired or confused... I have this behaviour of preocupation with people around many times. (But now is with brothers here) Is not about rank,degrees,or group/s. Can to be nice for me to listen, in private messages maybe,or in this thread, some personal concerns, trouble, or worry. Some times maybe technical needs ? I do not offer answers to all but I try to activate a mechanism of positive change. Also I need a one other volunteer,perhaps more preparated, or high ranked, to,some times... I express a general idea of general preocupations, as summary for him... sounds like policy? The idea also is about particular concerns (Is a trying.....(humble..... If my idea is not considered "good",or if this work actually is under treatment by other people... I offer my apologies. (I sure of course many people is helping in very organized way) This idea is maybe for other needs,maybe considered in minor urgency, or hard to express. (?) Or mediation in mid of two parts in conflict...? or other ? This is not strictly for new members. Some times we all feel in the need to drink a coffe (or tea)with someone ready to listen ...some times is just thats... "hey bro I was have a hard day today"....as example,or maybe other more complex In other way of expression I want to say: I am opened to listen. I don't sure how many people is needed for this kindly ocupation Is not my intention get a some functional or politic position Perhaps many people know /having how ...or who ...or where go. perhaps others, not. So.. this is my worry. If is not good idea, I use this topic to say I'm here. ;)
    • The Misuses of "Criticism" (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • NB 'The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as 'I know that I know nothing' stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.' Stokes, Michael C. (1997). Apology of Socrates. Warminster: Aris & Phillips. p. 18. ISBN 0-85668-371-X.
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Runelunan)
    • Great point! If you look at it another way you could see it as: All is changing and therefore an illusion or not real; we are the gods, our essence is unchanging, therefore we are real. We need to heed the warnings of conformity because to do otherwise would result in our destruction, as the Universe is ever changing, we need to deal with it.
    • Live Service - Thursday 28th August - 19 UTC (Last post by RyuJin)
    • We really do need a phone friendly chat app...I get booted from chat frequently...and if I don't get booted I can't see what I'm typing...and the chat won't autoscroll so I have to keep manually scrolling which keeps changing the view.....
    • Ebola (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Apparently there is an experimental treatment, and so far it seems to be working on the 2americans that have been treated with it...time will tell for certain though ZMapp, its not 100%, a Doctor who was infected had it but died anyway. Seems to make the odd's more favorable though. Apparently it takes months to produce!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp
    • Down's Syndrome... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • When considering having a child my motivations would be based on maximising the child's potential well-being. This comes in many different forms - being able to financially support the child, being mature enough to support the child are amongst those forms. The fact of the matter is that you ultimately do not know how your child's life will go, you will only know what it's like when it happens... which is why it is important to do your best to try and maximise the chances of their quality of life being as good as you can make it. This idea of maximising their chances gives an explanation for why, as one might expect, well-off people have decent lives, but also why less well-off people have decent lives. Money isn't everything, a close-knit family or some great friends can make up for other 'deficiencies' in your living standards (being poor etc). We cannot predict everything with a lot of accuracy, but we can try to maximise their chances. If a child were to be born with a debilitating condition then we can safely assume that, all things being equal, this is more likely to result in having a difficult life. Of course that child may end up greatly enjoying their life, but if the goal is to try and give your child the best possible start that you can then, in my opinion, adding a medical variable into the mix will likely make such a life more difficult for both the child, the parents, and the state that may have to support the child/family. If I had a child I would try my best to maximise the well-being of every factor in that child's life. The fact is that it can be difficult to maximise the well-being of factors such as medical conditions so I would likely request that any fetus likely to be born with a debilitating illness be aborted.
    • V-Tog, Assistant Pastor, Resignation, 2014 (Last post by MCSH)
    • The Clergy of the TotJO regretfully regretfully announce that Senior Knight V-Tog has resigned from her office of Assistant Pastor due to personal reasons. On behalf of our temple's members I thank you V-Tog for the service you've done while holding that office.‏ May the Force be with you.

There are 136 visitors, 7 guests and 15 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Adder, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, Edan, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, SeventhSL, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Fabtrek.

Follow Us