An Unpopular Conviction

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 11:26 #50721

Star Forge wrote:
You know, in a way, I am sorry I even shared this. It's just, I cannot understand how people think. Human reproduction, to me, is physically disgusting, sociologically damaging, morally repugnant, and totally avoidable. People explaining how great it is to me are just as outlandish as would be someone explaining how fulfulling it is to eat feces.

Does anybody here watch The Big Bang Theory? Doesn't he sound just like Sheldon Cooper? :P Not really on topic, just gave me a good chuckle and couldn't help but point it out, lol.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Locksley

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 11:41 #50725

Your belief is not new. There have been people who believed similar things for various reasons throughout history.

For reasons which should be obvious, most of the original people who believed these things are not around anymore.

At any rate, what it really comes down to is whether "suffering" is that bad a thing in the first place. It gives us something to challenge us. Overcoming the challenge is what life is about.

The line of thought you have led yourself down is similar to the line of thought of people who contemplate suicide... and its realization is, in essence, the slow suicide of the species.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 13:04 #50732

*Warning, everything posted below is on the assumption that you are a Christian based on the first quote I am about to post. If you are not, then most of this won't really pertain to you.*
Star Forge wrote:
I mean, is the idea of a Christian, fairly conservative, heterosexual, American man being against reproduction so horribly alien?

Actually, yes. Genesis Chapter 1, Verse 27-28a:
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it;"
Yes, I think that human reproduction is immoral, as it is not our place to create a sentient being which has no will or say in whether or not it will exist.

Once again, back to the verse above. The very first chapter of the Bible, the very first page, the final day of creation, and he commanded man and woman to reproduce. And if it is morally wrong to force life onto the earth, why did God do it? And why did he tell us to do it? And why did he give us the power to create life if it's not our place?
Well, the Genesis part is all figurative, and only retarded creationists take that stuff literally.

So i'm retarded? You have really stooped down to name calling for someone who does not agree with you? I find it insulting and do not appreciate it. Not exactly the Jedi way. Especially for someone who believes that everyone has a right to believe what they want.
I think our reproductive habits are not something he is too concerned about, or even takes cognizance of, even though many Christians consider sexual behavior and the prohibitions thereof to be key tenets of Christianity.

..........uh, have you really read the Bible? lol Sex is all over the Bible. And let's not forget that God bestowed a child unto Mary and her cousin. Although, I can see where you will go with this one. Mary was a virgin, and her cousin was supposed to be too old and most likely her and her husband did not have sex. But still...God forcefully procreated man in this instance, without even asking them "hey, is it ok if I knock you up?" He forced the pain and suffering of child birth upon them. He created John to prepare the way for Jesus, and Jesus to prepare the way to Heaven. God really didn't have to do any of this. It was simply His way of proving His love for us.

Now all of these responses i've given have been in thinking that you are a Christian, a conclusion I came to with the first quote of this post. I know this is a topic that will always lead in circles, and is probably a thread that needs to just die away quickly as it leads to nowhere, lol, but I just really felt that I should post my feelings on all of this as well.

I should also point out that while some of these things have probably already been discussed, I'll admit that I was writing as I was reading through the thread (I did skip a few pages) and just didn't want to delete anything because it was what I was thinking at the time and I like for my thoughts to be shared.

And I would like to end on one final note:
I will again remind you all that just because life contains some enjoyment does not make it desirable.

Uh...I disagree. For example, if I were to die, and I were given the chance to live again from the very beginning, knowing all the pain and suffering I would go through in life, I would gladly choose that option. Not because I don't want to blink out of existence or not because I don't want to go to Heaven (a bit of an odd choice to make, lol), but because there are so many joys in life that I find myself wanting again, even knowing that pain and suffering come with them. I do NOT enjoy the pain and suffering AT ALL, but it's a part of life for every living being. But I find the joys of life very pleasurable, and would not mind the pain and suffering, as those come and go throughout life. Perhaps it's because I don't dwell on them? I learn from them and move on.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 14:05 #50734

Learn_To_Know wrote:
Hal_littleeye wrote:
(I'm soooooo going to be chastised by someone for posting here, I just know it.):whistle: :pinch: :side: :lol: :P

I CAN NOT believe...you should be ashamed...I mean really...this is nuts...can you even THINK? I mean WT---Seriously, your intelligence.......

Nah, just kidding. I enjoyed your post.

----

I'm disappointed Star Forge never responded to Master Jon's question: what's wrong with suffering?

----

I can salute someone that sticks to their views to a point. But when he's talking about annihilation (that is if everyone followed his point-of-view) I don't salute it; I just think it's absurd. But I'm glad he posted his thoughts though. It was very interesting reading this thread while it was happening.

MTFBWY,
LTK


I didn't mean that I saluted his beliefs, I think they're... well nuts. :P But I do respect anyone who can... erm... stick to their beliefs blindly? :pinch: :P It was brave of him to post something that controversial is all. And interesting, I'm really glad that I know of the antinatalist movement, it's good to know about things like that... like you said-interesting.

Anyway, glad you liked my post. I was just worried that someone would be unhappy that a resurrected such an old and heated thread. I'm new here lol, don't want to step on any toes! ;)
"My life, though ordinary enough, seems to haunt me-in uncommon ways." -David Holzman's Diary
“Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.” - Macbeth
Last Edit: 17 Feb 2012 14:07 by Locksley.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 21:15 #50746

This horse has been beaten to death, I think. Just one more kick for posterity, though.

I am reminded of a quote from the immortal Captian James T Kirk:

"Damn it Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. [to Sybok] I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!"

this was from Star Trek V. I know it's one of the worst in the series, but the quote is relevant. Here's why:
In this scene Sybok, Spock's brother, is attempting to turn Spock, Kirk, and Doctor McCoy to his way of thinking by forcing them to face moments in their past which have caused them great suffering.

The point is that without suffering, without struggle, the very thing that tempers us as human beings... we are as nothing. It makes us strong, makes us who we are. Suffering and pain mold and shape our lives every bit as much as love and kindness. You say "what right have we to force suffering on others?" I say what right have we to deny it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Locksley
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Let us also not forget when the rich wage war it is the poor who die, the other part to that is the rich win regardless of outcome... now please do not think me evil but if there is war and fights and skirmishes make no mistake some one is getting rich regardless of your views ...the tools for war are paid for in money..please dont forget that.
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by Talariq)
    • Quote: (...and it's just fun burning things!! :whistle: ) Burning was definitely the last step in the plan for this list. I just have to figure out where to do it so I won't destroy a few city blocks. Colorado has been a little sensitive when it comes to fires lately. :pinch: Haha. And Wescli, I think I'm going to have to frame that post and keep it on my desk. Thank you very much for that. I think it's almost exactly what I've been looking for.
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Ignoring the definitions above for a moment, what does the word "Adventure" mean to you? How about "Hero"? Are you a hero? Adventure for me is when you step out of the comfort zone, when you push yourself to work harder, go further, in a direction you're not necessarily used to. If I spent 6 months in the dark in my house, afraid to leave, afraid to change, I wouldn't be a hero, it's when I stood up and made the choice not to be beaten, when I opened the curtains and stepped out of my door that I would become the hero. Quote: Read the definition of 'adventure' above, and your own answer to question 1. What are some of the things you consider "adventures" in your own life? Are you on one right now? What were the "calls" which began these adventures? Much of life itself in an adventure. I am on a journey to understand myself in a way I would never previously allow. I would compartmentalise feelings and emotions, split myself into parts to prevent getting hurt, and closed the door to things I didn't immediately agree with. I've thrown open the doors and now as I'm bringing my separate parts together, the adventure is learning who I am as a whole. The call for this is very personal. I guess another adventure I'm on is less exciting, but in that starting a degree when I already have a career, I am going in a direction and I have no idea the end. A few years ago I thought I would be an accountant forever, and now I have found a chance to be something completely diffeerent. The knowledge and the not knowing really where this ends is the adventure. The call was a few things coming together, but the main one was my fiance standing in front of me saying "you could just take criminology..." Quote: Joseph Campbell wrote: The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure. What do you think the relationship between being ready to answer the call to adventure is to becoming a hero? Do you feel ready to give a "hearty yes" when adventure comes calling? It's not easy to say yes sometimes, for some adventures, like the first one I put above, the call isn't something positive. Sometimes you're kind of just pushed into it and you either break into a run and go with it or you fall on your face and give up. The call and the adventure are requirements for each other, if you fall on your face the adventure won't even begin. Quote: Jedi are ordinary people, without superpowers unlike our fictional inspiration, often without the kinds of famed achievements or renowned victories usually associated with heroes. Many of us live ordinary and fairly conventional lives. Why do you think the study of heroes and adventures is relevant to our path? Is it? I'm gonna steal Jestor's line here (sorry!) and say 'we're practising Jedi, not perfect Jedi'. To improve ourselves is sometimes to step on a harder path, to take the adventure despite difficulty either literally, emotionally or mentally. Without the study of heroes, where is the inspiration to take the adventure in the first place? Every religion has its hero or heroes, we just study many, instead of few.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by AlexanderJ.W)
    • 1. Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Yes I have refused a call, and I still regret it every day. When I was sixteen me and my current girlfriend had been dating for just a bit over a year when we got pregnant. After much discussion and tears we made a decision to do an abortion. We based the decision on that we weren’t old enough and that we couldn’t take care and give the child a god and fair life. And I think that it fits to say that we felt incapable to be parents. Me and my girlfriend got engaged and where together for eight more years after that, and we are still very god friends and talk about it sometimes, and we both regret the decision. Hopefully this will make me a better parent when I do have kids. How could I know if a refusal is the right thing, when I don’t know where the adventure would take me or what I would learn? I think that every adventure is an opportunity to learn something, and that it is the force that sets us on the path of the adventure, so how could it really be the right decision to not undertake the adventure? I can only think of one thing that would make the refusal to be the right decision, and that is if I refuse this adventure another will be laid before me and I get the opportunity to undertake that adventure instead. 2. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I believe that the most common reason for people to refuse the call is fear of the unknown. Overall I feel that people in general is afraid of things that they don’t know enough about. And I think the reason for that is the loss of control, you can’t control what you don’t know about. 3. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? The refusal could be that the adventure is better suited for someone else, and that the hero as unconsciously stepped on an adventure which was meant for someone else. And that could be both good and bad because the adventure could be even better for the “new” hero and lead to an even better result than expected. On the other hand the hero who was supposed to go on the adventure maybe “needed” the adventure more than the “new” one. And the result could be disastrous regarding the purpose. The adventure could be too much for the “new” hero and fails and even becomes a villain. To be content with the life the hero already has, not to leave because the life he has now is simply to god and comfortable. The hero don’t want to change the view of home to go on an adventure that doesn’t concern him. This is rather selfish and I would say that it is a bad reason to refuse the call. 4. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? This was a tough question and I look forward to read the other answers from other members. But I think that the belief in the force can cause to refuse a call, if the Jedi is uncertain if to intervene or not. If I do intervene maybe I cause myself to start an adventure and if I don’t intervene I might miss that same adventure and there for miss the lesson I was supposed to learn by it. So it is really about balance and as it says in the twentieth Maxim: “A Jedi intervenes only when a Jedi's intervention is required.”
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 17 checking in. Today was yoga, 40 minutes. My muscles are in that kind of achy state at the moment from the work I've been doing ( :) ) so it was hard, but actually it was the best one I've done so far. I attempted, and (bar a few failed attempts in which I fell on my face and laughed at myself), I managed to do Bakasana / Crow pose. For anyone that is interested, crow pose is where you lean forwards on your hands looking forward, and balance your knees on the back of your arms. It is not easy and I've failed previously, but the fact I managed it today means that I am definitely stronger than when I started, which is good.
    • Open Sermon Slots (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Twice now I've sent my sermon to someone on the day it's supposed to be published and I noticed that it's pretty much not enough turn around time so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommended amount of time prior to the day it's supposed to be published that open sermons should be submitted?
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by tzb)
    • To knowingly allow the other gods to trick Fenrir, no less.
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...-refusal-of-the-call PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • Zen Pencils (Last post by Invictus)
    • I love Zen-Pencils! Especially the drawing with Allan Watts. It's deep...and so true! :)
    • On Self Knowledge (and The Jedi Path) (Last post by Br. John)
    • On Self-Knowledge - Kahlil Gibran Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams. And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless. Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself like a lotus of countless petals.

There are 107 visitors, 6 guests and 28 members online (none are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Reliah, Proteus, Williamkaede, E-3_4L_Teeter, Arcade, Talariq, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, Kaverael, babyblueyes247, Venator Mortis, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Jodan, Ratcliffe, ALFONSOLOT, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, WhiteRabbit7991, Mos-An Hobel, GregHorvath77, Daniel.

Follow Us