An Unpopular Conviction

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 11:26 #50721

Star Forge wrote:
You know, in a way, I am sorry I even shared this. It's just, I cannot understand how people think. Human reproduction, to me, is physically disgusting, sociologically damaging, morally repugnant, and totally avoidable. People explaining how great it is to me are just as outlandish as would be someone explaining how fulfulling it is to eat feces.

Does anybody here watch The Big Bang Theory? Doesn't he sound just like Sheldon Cooper? :P Not really on topic, just gave me a good chuckle and couldn't help but point it out, lol.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Locksley

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 11:41 #50725

Your belief is not new. There have been people who believed similar things for various reasons throughout history.

For reasons which should be obvious, most of the original people who believed these things are not around anymore.

At any rate, what it really comes down to is whether "suffering" is that bad a thing in the first place. It gives us something to challenge us. Overcoming the challenge is what life is about.

The line of thought you have led yourself down is similar to the line of thought of people who contemplate suicide... and its realization is, in essence, the slow suicide of the species.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 13:04 #50732

*Warning, everything posted below is on the assumption that you are a Christian based on the first quote I am about to post. If you are not, then most of this won't really pertain to you.*
Star Forge wrote:
I mean, is the idea of a Christian, fairly conservative, heterosexual, American man being against reproduction so horribly alien?

Actually, yes. Genesis Chapter 1, Verse 27-28a:
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it;"
Yes, I think that human reproduction is immoral, as it is not our place to create a sentient being which has no will or say in whether or not it will exist.

Once again, back to the verse above. The very first chapter of the Bible, the very first page, the final day of creation, and he commanded man and woman to reproduce. And if it is morally wrong to force life onto the earth, why did God do it? And why did he tell us to do it? And why did he give us the power to create life if it's not our place?
Well, the Genesis part is all figurative, and only retarded creationists take that stuff literally.

So i'm retarded? You have really stooped down to name calling for someone who does not agree with you? I find it insulting and do not appreciate it. Not exactly the Jedi way. Especially for someone who believes that everyone has a right to believe what they want.
I think our reproductive habits are not something he is too concerned about, or even takes cognizance of, even though many Christians consider sexual behavior and the prohibitions thereof to be key tenets of Christianity.

..........uh, have you really read the Bible? lol Sex is all over the Bible. And let's not forget that God bestowed a child unto Mary and her cousin. Although, I can see where you will go with this one. Mary was a virgin, and her cousin was supposed to be too old and most likely her and her husband did not have sex. But still...God forcefully procreated man in this instance, without even asking them "hey, is it ok if I knock you up?" He forced the pain and suffering of child birth upon them. He created John to prepare the way for Jesus, and Jesus to prepare the way to Heaven. God really didn't have to do any of this. It was simply His way of proving His love for us.

Now all of these responses i've given have been in thinking that you are a Christian, a conclusion I came to with the first quote of this post. I know this is a topic that will always lead in circles, and is probably a thread that needs to just die away quickly as it leads to nowhere, lol, but I just really felt that I should post my feelings on all of this as well.

I should also point out that while some of these things have probably already been discussed, I'll admit that I was writing as I was reading through the thread (I did skip a few pages) and just didn't want to delete anything because it was what I was thinking at the time and I like for my thoughts to be shared.

And I would like to end on one final note:
I will again remind you all that just because life contains some enjoyment does not make it desirable.

Uh...I disagree. For example, if I were to die, and I were given the chance to live again from the very beginning, knowing all the pain and suffering I would go through in life, I would gladly choose that option. Not because I don't want to blink out of existence or not because I don't want to go to Heaven (a bit of an odd choice to make, lol), but because there are so many joys in life that I find myself wanting again, even knowing that pain and suffering come with them. I do NOT enjoy the pain and suffering AT ALL, but it's a part of life for every living being. But I find the joys of life very pleasurable, and would not mind the pain and suffering, as those come and go throughout life. Perhaps it's because I don't dwell on them? I learn from them and move on.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 14:05 #50734

Learn_To_Know wrote:
Hal_littleeye wrote:
(I'm soooooo going to be chastised by someone for posting here, I just know it.):whistle: :pinch: :side: :lol: :P

I CAN NOT believe...you should be ashamed...I mean really...this is nuts...can you even THINK? I mean WT---Seriously, your intelligence.......

Nah, just kidding. I enjoyed your post.

----

I'm disappointed Star Forge never responded to Master Jon's question: what's wrong with suffering?

----

I can salute someone that sticks to their views to a point. But when he's talking about annihilation (that is if everyone followed his point-of-view) I don't salute it; I just think it's absurd. But I'm glad he posted his thoughts though. It was very interesting reading this thread while it was happening.

MTFBWY,
LTK

I didn't mean that I saluted his beliefs, I think they're... well nuts. :P But I do respect anyone who can... erm... stick to their beliefs blindly? :pinch: :P It was brave of him to post something that controversial is all. And interesting, I'm really glad that I know of the antinatalist movement, it's good to know about things like that... like you said-interesting.

Anyway, glad you liked my post. I was just worried that someone would be unhappy that a resurrected such an old and heated thread. I'm new here lol, don't want to step on any toes! ;)
"My life, though ordinary enough, seems to haunt me-in uncommon ways." -David Holzman's Diary
“Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.” - Macbeth
Last Edit: 17 Feb 2012 14:07 by Locksley.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 17 Feb 2012 21:15 #50746

This horse has been beaten to death, I think. Just one more kick for posterity, though.

I am reminded of a quote from the immortal Captian James T Kirk:

"Damn it Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. [to Sybok] I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!"

this was from Star Trek V. I know it's one of the worst in the series, but the quote is relevant. Here's why:
In this scene Sybok, Spock's brother, is attempting to turn Spock, Kirk, and Doctor McCoy to his way of thinking by forcing them to face moments in their past which have caused them great suffering.

The point is that without suffering, without struggle, the very thing that tempers us as human beings... we are as nothing. It makes us strong, makes us who we are. Suffering and pain mold and shape our lives every bit as much as love and kindness. You say "what right have we to force suffering on others?" I say what right have we to deny it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Locksley
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • To be "an instrument of peace" (Last post by ckott)
    • Really? You tell me that my beliefs are misplaced and think that I would not take offense to it? You point out the firepower and of the dangers of standing against them but offer no other consultation on the subject.... Do you have any idea of what our fellow Jedi and the people down there are going through? Im going to guess that as a 24 year old American apprentice who has not even found himself yet, you dont. Let me tell you that when men with guns come to take all you own that some would rather die standing than living on their knees. Look at what is going on in other parts of the world and tell me how important a new screemo band is. Pffft making it a bigger issue than it needs to be? This will soon be one of the biggest issues faceing our order..As Jedi do should we put our lives on the line to protect those who need the help or do we stay in our little coccon? I think we all know where I stand and it gladdens my heart to see fellow Jedi like Whyte Horse stand with me, and I but ask that you and others look deep and ask the Force where you should stand
    • My Daughter (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'm so sorry Damion,... and I'm glad that she is okay now. I've missed this topic... I'll have you and your family in mind
    • How To Change The World: Repetition, Ritual and Be... (Last post by tzb)
    • Alexandre PMed me this earlier, in response to the thread: Quote: On holiday now, I'm just getting around to reading ''Religion for Atheists'' by de Botton. Whereas a profound and contemplative understanding of the masks of 'god' (archetypal refection), I tend to feel very quite hesitant about the benefit of the masks of 'religion'. The 'religion' buffet, as de Botton puts it (and I stole ;-D ), from which one picks and chooses various entertainments, isn't very nourishing unless it reaches that part of us, whether it is a soul or not, that McGilchrist talks about. As far as changing the World goes -- that generally leads to further chaos. Tao Te Ching 29 ... Perhaps we can enjoy philosophical musings and religious entertainments for the World. As for changing it, just teaching others about the Force. And then let them live it, vacillate with it or laugh at it ... It changes anyway.
    • From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Yeah, I looked it up, its in the public domain just about everywhere in the world except the United States as they changed copywrite laws to expand to 95 years after death..... :/
    • D&D (Last post by Joe)
    • Since i lack any form of routine in my life right now, i really can't say when i will have the time. Lets just go for "whenever" right now.
    • Language learners (Last post by rugadd)
    • The large sweeping motions in movies and wushu competitions are not the same as gong fu in practical application. I"ve found from personal experience that it becomes compacted in live combat. A high level of control, even a "natural state" of hand and arm gestures close to the body, is an insane advantage. Like the sign for "snake" or "wall", its easy to see how having a dictionaries worth of word movements to apply is like having every tool in the toolbox. Blocking especially.
    • Confused (Last post by ryangoan)
    • "I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I,Ryan Goan born on 09/07/1984, without eservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi."
    • The Order of the Good Death (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • Suicide has nothing to do with conquering fear. I have dealt with many suicides in my profession. None have been about conquering fear. Suicide is the end result of a life not understood. It is a rape victim who cannot deal with the shame. The anger of a son against his father. Wife against husband. Suicide is the last resort of a enfeebled mind. Until you see and hear the cries of the children who found their fathers body swinging in the garage, you must be careful of what you say here. There are many of us here that deal with this subject on a professional level and know. There are some here who may have tried to commit suicide and thankfully failed.
    • Assigning the Deity (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: The assigning the deity argument really just boils down to the extent to which you can justify your opinion etc... That's exactly right. My assertion is that you can never justify your opinion using religious sources. I disagree rather completely. It's no different than justifying your opinion using other sources you didn't author. Appealing to divine authority is a very specific form of the more general 'using other sources you didn't author' so it isn't quite the same. Think of the difference between moral views and scientific views, both use sources other than your own but they are very different.
    • The Union of East & West through Pop Culture (Last post by Arcade)
    • An excellent Oxford Union address by Chinese-American singer-songwriter Wang Leehom about discrimination, perspectives, stereotypes, thinking for yourself, and removing the artificial borders that separate the East and West by promoting a world music culture. I've always enjoyed his music, but gained more respect for him after viewing this. [video] (Leehom's Mixtape)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Tripp Borz)
    • I started the insanity workout program this week. I think the hardest part wasn't the work out, it was getting up at 430 in the morning to go to the gym... :blink: So far I have the desire, I just hope it sticks around!
    • How to Post a Sermon (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Quote: Quote: Your article will be saved for a revision. As I said it needs a revision. An admin or a publisher must approve it - unless you are one. Alexandre was faster than me.... :( Go ahead and keep answering people's questions though, Sajjad, please ... Alexandre gets things wrong pretty often too ... :blush:

There are 483 visitors, 14 guests and 30 members online (5  are in chat): Akkarin, Shadouness, Gaia Chi, RyuJin, Jestor, Adhara, Reliah, Proteus, Luthien, Locksley, Alexandre Orion, Tripp Borz, scott777ab, Khaos, SSRosvald, ckott, Vusuki, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadra, Ness, tzb, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, jamesjohnston1741, Visro Windu, ejgraydon, Skydrrö, Xan Montagu, EEJim, darrenjazz, stormtrooperuk, prosingerrenee27, viktor.p, Darkrider, C.G.P., Kyleb.

Follow Us