An Unpopular Conviction

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:00 #48707

This is one of my greatest moral convictions which has brought me endless ridicule, criticism, and controversy. However, it would be morally wrong of me to obscure and withhold truth for my own convenience, comfort, or even safety.

So here we go. I believe that reproduction is morally wrong. It brings misery on the living and the unborn. Since the human race began, it has been a tool to oppress women. It forces life upon the unborn, and life is merely varying degrees of misery. I was born and had to deal with fear, pain, anger, death, and other negative things my whole life, all of it forced upon me, and so have all of you. Just because an injustice falls upon every single person does not make it any less of an injustice.

Before any of you say that I am trying to form a nihilistic death cult, think about what you are saying. Do you think that a soul's existence begins with biological life, or anything material for that matter? That's what I thought.

So there you have it. Reproduction is painful, dangerous, and creates misery for everyone, but most importantly, it is unnecessary and 100% COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. I mean, abstinence, condoms, birth control, whatever your method may be, it is completely preventable.

Additionally, while I am not advocating hastening of the deaths of already living beings, I have to share one of the experiences that brought me to this conclusion and sums up why I believe as I do. A few years back, a friend of mine that is significantly older than me and that I have always respected suggested that I read the Watchmen comics. He lent be the big volume an I read away. Near the climax, the Soviet Union is preparing to launch all of its nukes at the USA, who would in turn fire back. One of the protagonists (I can't remember her name) asks Dr. Manhattan to intervene, He says that, perhaps there is a chance he could stop *some* of the Soviet nukes, but is the instant annihilation of mankind that bad? No more striving, pain, war, suffering-it would just all end (it turned out that the nuclear war actually was avoided...). To me, reproduction is just forcing life (and therefore suffering) upon another person, not to mention the complications that it creates for the already living.

Please, everyone, consider my views on this matter.
I love the doctrine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knarf

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:15 #48710

Happiness is no more than choosing to look past the bad.

And your perception determines your reality. So if the bad stuff is ll you wish to focus on then the bad stuff is all you will notice. I am not trying to be hard on you or your beliefs. It is just that mine are in complete contradiction with my own beliefs.

I feel that it is the individual that brings the bad to life and that life is a wonderful miracle. And if you have ever experienced the moment of birth, from a personal perspective, I fail to see how you could hold a belief like that.

I'm sorry but I am still in a state of shock. I will have to meditate on this and reply again later. I hope that others will reply as well.

May the Force be with you, in all your endeavors.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:18 #48712

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
Why did you become a Jedi then?

If life was all doom and gloom... Bad experiences and no hope....

Yea, that would suck..

But, since happiness, compassion, love and a plethora of other positive emotions exist I disagree...

But, you are entitled to your opinion....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"Together, the teacher, and the taught, make the lesson." -- Eckart Tolle

Dan: "I have enough teachers."
Socrates: "Oh do you now? Whether you have a proper teacher or not, depends on what you want to learn."

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:22 #48713

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Not everyone has experienced life as you describe it Star Forge, and you havent said anything to convince me for your position yet. While cessation of reproduction might be a perfectly valid belief individually, I do not think you could expect others to do the same solely based on your own life experiences.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:45 #48716

• ren
  • ID: 4418
You assume souls exist, have always been and will always be.
Also, you assume that physical life (as opposed to soul life?) is more painful.

I can't claim to know what it is you've been through, but I assure you, a lot of people love life so much they fear death, and most importantly, having children is just as enjoyable as condom-free sex.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:45 #48717

We all experience it, to varying degrees and through various lenses. If you enjoy life, fine, so do I. I am merely stating that life contains pain, fear, etc., and it is against both my morals and my libertarian views to force life on the unborn. Just because something has been the norm does not mean it is right. Just because the majority of European Jews were herded into camps does not mean that such a life was considered a normal Jewish life. Likewise, just because we all suffer does not mean that it is not suffering. Like I said, unless you are an atheist/materialist, you understand that biological events have nothing to do with souls.
I love the doctrine.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 10:58 #48718

You know, in a way, I am sorry I even shared this. It's just, I cannot understand how people think. Human reproduction, to me, is physically disgusting, sociologically damaging, morally repugnant, and totally avoidable. People explaining how great it is to me are just as outlandish as would be someone explaining how fulfulling it is to eat feces.
I love the doctrine.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 11:01 #48719

Can not have good without the bad because without one neither would exist. My opinion is that life is a choice it shouldn't be forced on someone or taken away from them.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 11:02 #48720

But everyone has their own opinion and all should be listened too and I thank you for sharing yours it has given my something to think about
Last Edit: 27 Jan 2012 11:04 by Jacen solo.

Re: An Unpopular Conviction 27 Jan 2012 11:04 #48722

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Star Forge, your position seems based on that the life is forced, but what if its not forced....you might be assuming that the soul doesn't itself choose to incarnate into a particular body. If it is the choice of the soul, then would that alter your determination about reproductive morality?
Last Edit: 27 Jan 2012 11:06 by Adder.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • invitation to totjo (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Actually, I can probably be there. I'll be back in the states next week, and I'll have the "right" time zone. I can't make any guarantees right now. But, if nobody cares, I can give a fair representation of what it's like to study the IP, work through part of an Apprenticeship, and go through the Clerical Training, even holding a minor staff position.
    • Father knocks out sons abuser. (Last post by tzb)
    • I don't applaud his violence, but I applaud him for restraining and not killing the man. In doing so he reconciled his need to protect and, in part, avenge his son with the need for an abused child to have a father who's not locked up in jail. Those of us who are parents might wish to consider the consequences of those kinds of actions now, in a calm and impersonal setting, so that should we ever be unlucky enough to find ourselves in a similar situation we have some idea of the long-term implications of various short-term courses of action. It's easy to say "I'd kill him!" or, I imagine, to react in that way. But it wouldn't be easy on our kids. If I found out my son had been abused, you can be damn sure I'd do whatever it took to be there for him, even if it went against my gut instincts.
    • What are your opinions about euthanasia? (Last post by Luthien)
    • Quote: The issue isn't who should be allowed to end their own life, its about at what point can the medical establishment end someones life for them. It's obviously situational, like you pointed out. I've told my wife and family that if I were in a vegetated state, I don't want them to keep me hooked up to machines to extend my life. I would want them to euthanize me. At the point of no return, as I say in regards to this, is when I would say is the right time. Considering the amount of time estimated left to live, it would seem fitting to allow the family to say their goodbyes and then end it. Now, I see what you're talking about, as far as grey areas go, because someone with an agenda can set up the parameters to legally kill someone, which would be murder, as I see it. I would have to take more time to consider more about this topic, before continuing. Great stuff to think about.
    • Still Around (Last post by scott777ab)
    • Quote: Hi Scott, good to see you're still around. Quote: I now try to keep most of my opinions to myself. Why's that? Why not? But to give a better answer. I just do not find it productive to argue anymore. What I believe is what I believe, no one is going to change that but me; it is pointless for me to argue a point trying to change someone else. If someone wants to know what I believe about something they can ask me, but I am not going to just blab my mouth no more. I have better things to do.
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: So... if energy is conscious and aware (whatever the heck that means because with the ill, nay, sick non-definition of energy it could be literally anything and one might expect that consciousness and awareness are buzz words of the same nature), and we are an example of that, then wouldn't rocks be an example of energy being not conscious nor aware (unless the ill, nay sick non-definitions of conscious and aware are such as to allow for conscious and aware rocks, i suppose)? If we are arguing from examples, surely that must go both ways, and conversely, in order for it to only go one way the argument must be one that wouldn't rely on examples. If looking for useful definitions, an example might be 'conscious' being self aware, and 'aware' being aware of outside of self. The 'structure' of a rock is simple compared to an animal, and its rate, quantity and variety of change is, as a result, at a different temporal frame. By virtue of its simplicity that rock can last a million years, by virtue of our complexity we collapse near 100. The problem might be expecting some truth from a practise, when the practise is not about seeking truth primarily but improving the experience of reality to have a better and more rich truth. Funny thing is we are not really aware of what is outside of self, we are aware of our self interacting with outside which we interpret as outside! But for practical reasons it makes sense to split mental processing into different areas. One example would be to use a three tiered level of; * space realm - temporal, spirit * mind realm - corporeal representation, spatial * abstract realm - mental, emotional While its all the same system of awareness, it probably uses different circuitry in the brain. Some people might have an ability to integrate visual processing (like in dreams) to different senses to work with such concepts. I dont think anyone is trying to 'define' reality by doing this sort of thing, rather have a greater experience of it or try to refine the experience for some nature of benefit. I agree though we must stay firmly anchored in the science of reality, and for me Jediism does heavily incorporate science and scientific discovery to shape how we can better experience reality.
    • Live Service - Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'll be conducting a live service on Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC. The sermon part of this live service would be available as a normal sermon for everyone to read. To find out what this time would be on your timezone click here.
    • Cognitive Dissonance - Your Thoughts (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Well it seems to me knowing yourself: likes, dislikes, desires and expectations would be helpfull? Then knowing your limits while working to expand them would keep dissonance to a minimum? I think it's all about: living, learning and becoming a better person. Don't get hung up on your flaws and keep on keeping on.
    • Words Mean Things. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: In type, you should strive to be more clear, if anything, as there is not context of voice inflection, body language, etc. In type, it much more easy to misunderstand something, hence, to be as clear as possible and non subjective with your words will open more doors then close them. Of course... But if I think I'm clear, and as clear as I can be, and still not getting through, it can't be helped... And, an individual should realize that not everyone is going to understand what someone else is saying so further questioning should be done...:) Quote: It goes against the argument of subjectivity really. Such as this... Would you explain? This is just another point where people get separated... The "prickly" people, and the "goo" people.... :lol:....
    • Another XKCD- Answers (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Not sure where to put this- so thought I'd just add it here. Just a bit of a fun poke at star wars www.xkcd.com/1397/ Don't turn it on.
    • Unacceptable Casualties of War (Last post by Deepseablue)
    • Quote: Czech Airlines were not flying from Seoul to Prague above Ukraine. Only above Russia. We have arrived safely in Prague. Good for you! I wouldn't have wanted to be anyone anywhere near Ukraine in the days after the "crash."
    • Well, I thought I would make a few suggestions... (Last post by Proteus)
    • The shoutbox was a 3rd party code which ren was managing when he was admin but took it down after the site's update due to some kind of compatibility or functional issues and never finished fixing it back up. Whatever its condition was when he left, I forgot, but I can check and see if there's anything we can do about it.

There are 244 visitors, 3 guests and 24 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Jestor, Darren, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, MCSH, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, mdk, Edan, tzb, Pyrus Erath, benedictveritas, Jamie Stick, Calanon, Knigma, RassLdk, SeventhSL, JosephGenesius.

Follow Us