Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What are you reading right now? (Last post by Willa)
    • I am reading Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov the 3rd book from the Foundation series and also La Gloire de mon père by Marcel Pagnol Good books to read ! :)
    • Does "love" work? (Last post by Adder)
    • I tend to agree but think its better associated as the living aspect of the Force, where the unifying aspect is more around objective reality IMO. > Can love really save the world? From what? I do use compassion as the polar of evil, so yea maybe B) I am wondering if very one just focused on the purest or highest, most universal form of "love", what kind of world would be live in? I think it would take an energetic form, with all things represented as measures of that love. To act in that realm you'd have to define boundaries still I think, as while it might be seen as ideal to be one with and an extension of that 'love' to act within it as an 'agent' you'd likely need to exert different natures and extents of 'love' beyond your agency - otherwise you'd be exerting your own control over all things within a self centred framework. So understanding other manifestations of complex love (animals etc) as different agents then you might end up with a sort of recontextualization of existence - redefining how things exist. It's a bit confronting to face the dissolution of the 'known' to replace it with some other system of perception, but I do think its worthwhile if done cautiously. I find Buddhism to be the most useful, but lots of spiritual/religious path's have great value in doing it I reckon. > Can I really get to a state of "unconditional", complete, universal love? Only you can answer that :pinch: > where have your explorations in the power of love taken you? Trying to perceive 'love' as a field as a source of information can find attribution to outcomes, but I'm not sure if the association is causal or casual :laugh: Finding connections is fun though.
    • a question about the value of human life (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Sorry to hear you're having tough times, brother. My sympathies... Quote: i present the definition for religion as "what people belive to be true about life, existence, and their place within it" and i suggest that we all develop a religion irrespective of its affiliation, as a natural consequence of being thinking cognitive beings its practically inevitable i dont expect everyone else to adopt this definition for their personal inventory but for the sake of this discussion, going along with this definition, my question becomes; Alrighty... I wouldn't say it is a very proper definition given that most people understand something different and so do the dictionaries. However, since at the end of the day understanding is what words are about we might as well use the shortcut "religion" to mean this. Therefore we can make a few paraphrases later on and I shall mark them as such. For now, a preface: Quote: ... "does an individual unit (unit meaning individual person or group or organization ect) have the right to destroy the whole simply by the fact of having the power?" at heart this is a yes or no question, but the ambiguity of language and the range of potential conceptualization makes it not only debatable, but worse, TEDIOUS Yeeess, unfortunately language is our only hope to communicate at this point. Anyway, about that question. Technically no, might does not make right. Not automatically anyway. Traditionally with increasing power people would tend to grow more careless and personally I find that distasteful. What I do reject, and this is not something you said or implied here, but earlier, is that the frowning upon such behaviour can at all, let alone only be rooted in religious thought. Earlier I thought that you refered to traditional definitions of the word but now we can use yours instead. "What people belive to be true about life, existence, and their place within it" can be just about anything and while this is where ethics must ultimately spawn from, no particular ethics can be deduced pending specific beliefs only few happen to ever share. In other words, even with reference to what they believe about these matters, we ought not expect them to conclude that what we think is the abuse of power is indeed wrong in their view also. Likewise, someone who does not take base beliefs about their place in the universe into account much but instead makes a purely calculating decision might also in most cases not conclude that it is okay to get all genocidal all of a sudden. Ultimately it will depend on their current life goals and what they believe is most helpful to achieve those. So even if we take your definition and plug it in, getting Quote: [What people belive to be true about life, existence, and their place within it] functions to teach humans that it is "wrong" to murder everybody else and take their resources. is strictly incorrect. Some people may believe things that would lead them to conclude that this is wrong, others don't. Some may have other beliefs outside of these that would deter them from such action, others don't. You are assuming that everyone's religion is one that places value on human life and advocates peace, yet that is not part of your definition of religion and frankly it doesn't take much to find people who are at heart hostile and aggressive. Most of them will be so because rather than in spite of their religion, again, using your definition of that word. On the other hand, Quote: Ethics have no foundation without [what people belive to be true about life, existence, and their place within it]. I would tend to agree with. Not every choice we make is an ethical one, albeit that many have ethical implications or application, but the purely moral judgements must ultimately stem from thoughts of this kind. Quote: ... does it make sense that we should intentionally promote ideas which place inherent value on human life? Yes, I consciously omitted the conditions you placed on this and the following question, not because they are uncomfortable but because my answer would be the same irrespective of what the conditions entail, or so I presume. The question, and thus the answer, of course depend on what you mean by "making sense" in this context. Pending that, I shall propose that the answer is no however. What I mean is that while it may be immediately beneficial to promote these ideas, there is always something dark about promoting things we don't know are indeed true; this is even more important when the promoted idea raises more questions than it answers. Value does not need to be inherent in order to be there at all, so it is not necessary to asser that it is inherent. If we do assert that however, the question immediately arises what makes it inherent and why anybody should care unless the value is also subjective to our condition. Historically people have been forced into believing self-evident inherent capital-T Truths at gunpoint, or perhaps rather at the cold blade, which I don't think either of us wants. Maybe less of that would have gone on if the pronouncements were presented as subjective and tentative and accepted for their usefulness rather than for their sacredness. In my opinion, better say X is valuable because Y and not X is valuable, period.
    • Jedism hippies? (Last post by Adder)
    • Sure, why not :P Makes me wonder about the iterations of 'hippy'!!?? .............................'zen' ................................| homeless-stoner-hippy-feral-nutter ................................| ...........................tripper LOL, hmmmm, where Jedi might be an offshoot of 'zen'. I use zen here in the popular culture sense, and not the actual Zen sense. Perhaps mellow dude might have been better then using zen... anyway, the hippy Jedi then perhaps I think is more engaged in society in an active way then the hippy, but relates to the hippy still :S
    • Best martial art? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: Dim Mak, pressure point fighting style, if there is one fight style that is strong, one finger to put a man down .. [video] this is clearly fake im sure most here are aware of that but to anyone who is uncertain and interested, simply go to youtube and search "knockouts" and see what it really looks like watch a few videos of the real thing then come back and watch this again, and see if you dont spot some of the differences for yourself
    • To the Fatty on the Track (Last post by Talariq)
    • Personally, I love this. She takes the insults so many people sling and turns them into something positive and motivational. If someone said something like this to me, I would take it as a great compliment, which is obviously how it was meant. Just my opinion, but if anyone was offended by this, they are LOOKING for something to be offended by.
    • LuCrae's Question in Another Thread (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Split from the thread about the article in the Guardian recently. Quote: Let's expand and allow for the discussion. What questions or principles do you believe would be necessary for an all encompassing definition or doctrine of Jediism Alethea Thompson? I suspect if we broaden our definition large enough that many of the members here would agree. However, would this broadening detract from the philosophy in any way? I think we can hammer it down to something simple: 1) Do you believe in "the Force"? 2) Do you believe that by following the Jedi Code you can obtain inner balance? 3) Do you believe in helping others in some capacity? 4) Do you believe in self-improvement mentally, physically and spiritually? 5) Do you believe it is possible for anyone to become a Jedi? 6) Do you agree to incorporate all of these into your lifestyle? If you can answer "yes" to all of these questions, and you are sincere about it, then you are a Jedi.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Calem)
    • I am grateful for my mother giving me place to stay a little while until my new apartment's ready for me to move into and grateful for the fuzzy furball dog which rolls over for cuddles every time I come near. There's nothing like an animal to stop time while making it pass unnoticed :)
    • In the News: I am A Jedi (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • fair enough i really am not after a battle of any kind - i am aware of my tendancy to do jump into foolishness and im working on it and the OP is the OP and i ALSO dont mean to derail that
    • This isn’t 1968. Baltimore isn’t Watts. And Hillar... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • www.democracynow.org/2015/5/22/indicted_...ings_charges_against A grand jury has indicted six Baltimore police officers in the death of Freddie Gray, clearing the path for a criminal trial in the Maryland courts. Freddie Gray died on April 19 from his injuries suffered in police custody. The indictments came nearly three weeks after Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby first announced her decision to bring criminal charges against the officers. While some of the charges have been amended, the most serious ones — second-degree murder against Officer Caesar Goodson and involuntary manslaughter against four of the officers — remained intact. We speak to longtime Baltimore civil rights attorney A. Dwight Pettit. TRANSCRIPT This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form. JUAN GONZÁLEZ: A grand jury has indicted six Baltimore police officers in the death of Freddie Gray, clearing the path for a criminal trial in the Maryland courts. Freddie Gray died on April 19th from his injuries suffered in police custody. His family and attorney say his voice box was crushed and his spine was "80 percent severed at his neck." Gray’s death sparked massive protests nationwide. At a news conference Thursday, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced the indictments. MARILYN MOSBY: Previously indicated, my office conducted an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the tragic incident with the death of Freddie Gray. On May 1st, our investigation revealed that we had sufficient probable cause to bring charges against six police officers. As our investigation has continued, additional information has been discovered, and as is often the case during an ongoing investigation, charges can and should be revised based upon the evidence. These past two weeks, my team has been presenting evidence to a grand jury that just today returned indictments against all six officers for the following offenses. JUAN GONZÁLEZ: The indictments came nearly three weeks after Mosby first announced her decision to bring criminal charges against the officers. While some of the charges have been amended, the most serious ones—second-degree murder against Officer Caesar Goodson and involuntary manslaughter against four of the other officers—remained intact. ----- this is not the full transcript click the link if youre interested in the rest :-)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Checking in... Feeling tired but managed 35 minutes of running... Zoned out of the music.
    • saber build (Last post by CryojenX)
    • Quote: venom claws arrived today, i already mounted them and modified the raven claws, the blade retention screw is hidden by one of the claws. and now until i get the internal parts i'm at a standstill on silver fang.... [attachment] Very impressive a build so far. :cheer: I currently know too little about custom sabers to get involved in something of this magnitude. I wasn't aware that the various companies parts were compatible with each other.

There are 794 visitors, 5 guests and 28 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Adhara, Gisteron, Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, Calem, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Pyrus Erath, Calanon, Radar6590, Matsukaze, GalUnDrux, Cyan Sarden, Tk768, Atticus509, WayneTec, Willa, Blind, Plasmawiz.

Follow Us