Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 04:22 #45262

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
please allow me...

Original text by PoC, reversal of situation by Ren:

Agreed. I actually never see Christians gather together at all.. But if they do, what do they talk about?
"Hello, everyone! There is a god! Let's begin the day with a group discussion on your experience of god. I baked cookies and brought coffee for everyone, please, help yourself! There is a god! Now, I'll start and we'll go in clockwise order and begin with how you experienced god this week!"

I'd imagine it more like a support group.. They used to have an Christian church but I think they got tired of sitting there all day talking about the religion. They had pamphlets about the life of Jesus Christ. A book by God. Seems a limited basis for discussion. The only fuel for conversation I would imagine christians have would be all the crazy things the atheists do and say! That would be a never ending source of amusement!
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:20 #45263

LOL Just to be clear I wasn't trying to poke fun at you, atheism or Christianity. Just trying to imagine what it would be like in a real atheist support group and wondering if there is such a thing. Musing on the idea, because atheism seems like a personal idea. You definitely made a point to me by a reversal of what I said. Just don't really know if I got the point that was intended.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:30 #45264

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
Oh lol I got it right don't worry. I was just trying to show how "funny" christian activities can look in an atheist's eyes... :P

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:47 #45265

Oh, okay! Cool! Then I got the point! Christian activities are pretty funny to me, as well lol. I haven't identified with it all in quite some time. Needless to say, that's why I'm here! I have teetered on Atheism before. Really, I just don't know what to believe. Does the force emanate from an original source, that of a god? Or is a god only what feeble, mortal man can understand of a much more complex and powerful force... I have no frickin clue!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:53 #45266

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
ren wrote:
You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals...

When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc, then I'll start considering their evangelism as something more then just hatred, but yea any sort of direct marketing campaign tends to be intrusive. I prefer opt-in rather then having to opt-out and its getting worse with SMS's and telemarketers. Soon a stylized Jesus will be ringing me on my phone asking for a donation!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 06:49 #45267

ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 08:16 #45272

NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.
Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 11:19 #45279

Nameless3450 wrote:
NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:

ETC

Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 16:51 #45287

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc

Well, they do those things.... Just don't use the opportunity to advertise their lack of faith.

I mean even anti-theists are harmless. Remember the London bus campaign? "There's probably no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life". And the outrage you could read about in the news, bus drivers refusing to drive those buses, etc?

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 20:12 #45290

NumbEffect wrote:
Nameless3450 wrote:
NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:

ETC

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha
Yeah well most people will try not to insult others to prevent them looking ignorant and by doing that shows their ignorance. That or they will talk soooo slow to you like your retarded my fiancé is from the phillipians and she has to deal with that even though she speaks nearly perfect English. To a lot of Americans people are more treated like a puppy than a person lol
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by Revan Falton)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Let us also not forget when the rich wage war it is the poor who die, the other part to that is the rich win regardless of outcome... now please do not think me evil but if there is war and fights and skirmishes make no mistake some one is getting rich regardless of your views ...the tools for war are paid for in money..please dont forget that. Incorrect, it is religion agendas that are the big product of war. Every war resulted from either religion or agendas. Donald trump or Rockefeller are not out there starting wars. The rich use religion as a way to push people apart, and pit them against each other. Carlos is correct, if you study any major war, there is always some underlying organization getting rich. You don't think the Catholic church built the Vatican, or any of it's other exuberant holdings on the backs of the tithes of the poor do you? Study the works of US Marine Major General Smedley Butler. He has a much different take on war! Do organizations benefit from wars? Yes, some do. However, again, money was not the driving power in those wars, it was merely a beneficial outcome of the war.
    • The space inside your head (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • What I derive from that is that is distinction is being made between the objective occurrence of an event (subject to debate, sure, but not entirely germane) and the sensory experience and impression of the event. Sure, light will still issue from the sun, but the experience you have of visible light is mediated by gross senses as a way to make the experience of that radiation comprehensible and useful. Consider a strawberry. Lots of sugar. But sweetness is how our taste buds and brain classify that experience to make it pleasant. Is it inherently sweet? Can an impression be an essential quality of an object? What about the light spectrum you don't see. What if you saw less light? The radiation is present, but it is not part of your experience. What about the colors you can't see. You cannot imagine them. You cannot visualize them. Yet, there radiation at those frequencies. This is not a value statement as such. It does lead one to wonder how closely ones subjective experience mirrors external events.
    • Being connected via the Force (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: You dont need a technique to experience this. Your already a part of it intricately. You exist, here, now. No getting around that. Reach out and run your hand along various surfaces. Smell the flowers, smell all there is to smell. Laugh with friends. Look at the stars and see where you come from. Live. Well said, Khaos! Personally, I always feel the Force moreso when I'm outside and can breathe fresh air, maybe walk in the woods, or just sit and listen to the world, whether you live in the city or the country.
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by Kaverael)
    • I am still looking to do this assignment, but unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, adventure is calling me, and I have to answer, because sometimes you have to answer the Call to Adventure, whether you want to or not. I will try to get this in over the weekend and start #2 as well!
    • about Padawan (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: I suggest that waterfall braid for Knight rank and fish tail + french braid for Master rank! :side: :woohoo: LOL Well this would be problematic for me. Ive never managed to get a handle on the water fall braid, but I wear mine is a fishtail almost daily. I have the hair for any of those... lol :lol: Probably should have taken a pic when my niece french braided mine....for some reason she put a really narrow braid down the middle....that bit got knotted up pretty good too, when I undid the braid a couple days later...
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Lots of annoying things irritate the hell out of me....when it gets to be too much I take a deep breath in through my nose and exhale slowly out my mouth and utter the word fah kit....mentally I attach the irritations to the word say they depart as the breath departs...
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by jedi_roz)
    • Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Refused a call? Yes, in going to a different university. I ended up choosing one closer to home rather than one that was halfway across the country. I chose to be two hours from home rather than two days because my family was not in the best health and both my brothers were still in school, I felt responsible to help them if I needed to be home fast. However in the end it worked out because I fell in love, got married and am now teaching at my first college that I graduated from. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I think people get comfortable. They are afraid to take a chance, or can't take that chance due to personal circumstances. I couldn't leave tomorrow for another job across the country because we would have to sell our house, figure out our animals, the horses etc. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? In our instance my husband would have to quit his job for me to move but if I got a full time job in the teaching field it would be a good thing. I do think that's a great reason, and I'm actively hunting for just that. I'm 32 years old and have no future, nothing saved, no retirement to look forward to. I need to start looking to that future. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? I refer to this line: We Believe; In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty. I would certainly refuse a call to commit horrible acts on humans (or animals even) A great example in my area right now is just recently a small 4yr old boy was beaten to death by the mothers boyfriend. I will save the list of injuries except to say the child suffered for almost a day and half before he got medical attention and by that point the damage was done and he passed. Now there is darn near a lynch mob for the guy who did this and people are downright ready to kill him. Truthfully the mother in me is aghast, however we were talking about it at work and one of my coworkers friends is the father of this little boy. She is ready to commit murder to avenge this child's death. I couldn't follow her conversation. I agree punishment is in order, and certainly drastic but what people have threatened to do or even commit to this man is just wrong. Could I work in the jail where this man is at? Could I be in the jury to condemn this man? I don't think so. I don't feel I could treat this guy right, (not that I am going to do anything to him but I don't think I could stay neutral in this scenario, I wouldn't be able to do my job) I don't want to see what people describe doing either. I just try to stay as neutral as possible. This one is hard because passion runs high and people are angry.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!

There are 463 visitors, 6 guests and 42 members online (2  are in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, ren, Wescli Wardest, Adhara, Darren, Desolous, Gisteron, discordor, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, E-3_4L_Teeter, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, tzb, Senan, babyblueyes247, benedictveritas, Venator Mortis, Mathew Erickson, carlos.martinez3, Calanon, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Aqua, Revan Falton, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, WhiteRabbit7991, Mos-An Hobel, skizm100, Alf Kristian.

Follow Us