Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 04:22 #45262

  • ren
  • ren's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Member
  • ID: 4418
please allow me...

Original text by PoC, reversal of situation by Ren:

Agreed. I actually never see Christians gather together at all.. But if they do, what do they talk about?
"Hello, everyone! There is a god! Let's begin the day with a group discussion on your experience of god. I baked cookies and brought coffee for everyone, please, help yourself! There is a god! Now, I'll start and we'll go in clockwise order and begin with how you experienced god this week!"

I'd imagine it more like a support group.. They used to have an Christian church but I think they got tired of sitting there all day talking about the religion. They had pamphlets about the life of Jesus Christ. A book by God. Seems a limited basis for discussion. The only fuel for conversation I would imagine christians have would be all the crazy things the atheists do and say! That would be a never ending source of amusement!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:20 #45263

LOL Just to be clear I wasn't trying to poke fun at you, atheism or Christianity. Just trying to imagine what it would be like in a real atheist support group and wondering if there is such a thing. Musing on the idea, because atheism seems like a personal idea. You definitely made a point to me by a reversal of what I said. Just don't really know if I got the point that was intended.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:30 #45264

  • ren
  • ren's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Member
  • ID: 4418
Oh lol I got it right don't worry. I was just trying to show how "funny" christian activities can look in an atheist's eyes... :P

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:47 #45265

Oh, okay! Cool! Then I got the point! Christian activities are pretty funny to me, as well lol. I haven't identified with it all in quite some time. Needless to say, that's why I'm here! I have teetered on Atheism before. Really, I just don't know what to believe. Does the force emanate from an original source, that of a god? Or is a god only what feeble, mortal man can understand of a much more complex and powerful force... I have no frickin clue!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 05:53 #45266

  • Adder
  • Adder's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
ren wrote:
You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals...

When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc, then I'll start considering their evangelism as something more then just hatred, but yea any sort of direct marketing campaign tends to be intrusive. I prefer opt-in rather then having to opt-out and its getting worse with SMS's and telemarketers. Soon a stylized Jesus will be ringing me on my phone asking for a donation!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 06:49 #45267

ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 08:16 #45272

NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.
Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 11:19 #45279

Nameless3450 wrote:
NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.
Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 16:51 #45287

  • ren
  • ren's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Member
  • ID: 4418
When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc

Well, they do those things.... Just don't use the opportunity to advertise their lack of faith.

I mean even anti-theists are harmless. Remember the London bus campaign? "There's probably no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life". And the outrage you could read about in the news, bus drivers refusing to drive those buses, etc?

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 20:12 #45290

NumbEffect wrote:
Nameless3450 wrote:
NumbEffect wrote:
ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.
Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha
Yeah well most people will try not to insult others to prevent them looking ignorant and by doing that shows their ignorance. That or they will talk soooo slow to you like your retarded my fiancé is from the phillipians and she has to deal with that even though she speaks nearly perfect English. To a lot of Americans people are more treated like a puppy than a person lol
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Helping the Homeless? (Last post by Karn)
    • I have helped the Homeless. I generally talk with them and show some concern and compassion. That goes a long way as well. I have gone through a fast food restaurant and given them food, or given water on hot days. Escorted/given them a ride to a shelter to get long term assistance. In New Orleans, homeless is big business. I have watched "homeless" people leave their "spot" and walk to their BMW and drive home after "work". This is why I like to talk with them a little before just tossing money.
    • Father knocks out sons abuser. (Last post by Calanon)
    • Quote: Quote: Like beating your wife is widely viewed as being bad whereas just a couple of hundred years ago it was perfectly acceptable so long as you didn’t use a stick that was thicker than your thumb, hence the rule of thumb. :ohmy: Now instead we have no wives. So we're going back to the athenian model of men have sex with men and only use women for procreation. I do have a question.. where in blazes do you get off saying that we have no wives? Sure the homosexuals marry into the same gender, but straight people have been marrying the opposite gender for millennia. Still are. The evidence that there are still wives in our culture is overwhelmingly against your statement. You might not have a wife, but you're not everyone else. Nor should you continue to dictate what others have and don't have. It's a nasty habit to be in, because the moment you start telling others what they do or don't have, can or can't have, and what they believe, you're going to be wrong more often than not.
    • Forgiveness (Last post by Luthien)
    • [image] :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    • Still Around (Last post by scott777ab)
    • Quote: Quote: . I now try to keep most of my opinions to myself. Please don't. Your presence helps make this a better place. See my post above. Quote: Quote: For now I am going to go hide in my secret place. LOL. Please don't. Your presence helps make this a better place. By secret place I mean that place which is within. If you don't understand sorry. Those who do know what I am talking about.
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: Let go of your: logic, reason and evidence and soar in the sky once in a while. You'll get a different view of things from up there. People "fly" just fine with logic reason and evidence. There is no lack of wonder, and awe, for those who choose such a path. People with there "head in the couds" ( as opposed to feet on the ground I guess) have a different view, but just as a guy who has a view from the edge of a cliff from a person jumping off, well, it might help to have a healthy, logical, reasonable, understanding of gravity and that different isnt necessarily the point. Because you actually wont fly. I could easily reverse it, and tell you to let go of your nonsense, and get a different view, but that is not the point. I dont want to change views, nor change your view. I am seeking clarification on your view, and understanding,so is Gisteron. ' Ideas should compete, be tested, some weeded out if they dont hold up,etc. Then, they should change accordingly. I am less interested in to having my own singular, individual, different view, then I am about having the view that has been tested, peer reviewed, and applicable on a scale wider than my own little world. For which, in all you have presented, thats all it is. Things you choose to believe for no good reason other than it "makes you feel warm and fuzzy." If I do not proceed from reason, logic, and evidence, then I am simply taking your word for it, and that is preffered ignorance, which isnt flying. Kind of like planes. If people did not proceed from logic, reason, and evidence, we wouldnt have flown at all. To post your OP is fine, but most people, when offered anything are going to attempt to look deeper, and I cant see how thats not a good thing. Ideas should be discussed, tested, dissected, etc,because that is how we, as a species, have always surpassed our limits and "flown".
    • What are your opinions about euthanasia? (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Quote: If you have the correct conviction to end your own life you don't need to be so cruel as to ask someone else to do it unless extreme circumstances prevent you from acting on your own. Most everywhere in the US it is illegal to attempt to commit suicide and doctor or nurse who knowingly allows a patient to kill themself is considered complicit. So if you happen to fail to actually kill yourself, you can be in serious legal trouble (to say nothing of the psychiatric crap they'll put you through). I'm in favor of legalizing compassionate release. Life can be difficult when you're a relatively healthy, but if you've got some kind of progressively worsening condition, I can't imagine life is something you really want to cling to.
    • Words Mean Things. (Last post by ren)
    • en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_spelling_reform#History I think I'll forgive Jestor this one time :P
    • invitation to totjo (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Actually, I can probably be there. I'll be back in the states next week, and I'll have the "right" time zone. I can't make any guarantees right now. But, if nobody cares, I can give a fair representation of what it's like to study the IP, work through part of an Apprenticeship, and go through the Clerical Training, even holding a minor staff position.
    • Live Service - Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'll be conducting a live service on Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC. The sermon part of this live service would be available as a normal sermon for everyone to read. To find out what this time would be on your timezone click here.
    • Cognitive Dissonance - Your Thoughts (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Well it seems to me knowing yourself: likes, dislikes, desires and expectations would be helpfull? Then knowing your limits while working to expand them would keep dissonance to a minimum? I think it's all about: living, learning and becoming a better person. Don't get hung up on your flaws and keep on keeping on.

There are 201 visitors, 7 guests and 29 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Octagon, baru, Jestor, Karn, Nakis, Wescli Wardest, Learn_To_Know, Desolous, Reliah, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, avner, scott777ab, PatrickB, Arcade, Llama Su, zeronycon, elizabeth, Vincente, wesleycook74, tzb, benedictveritas, marza tumud, Calanon, TambelSadera, AlexanderJ.W, Rizper, Diala, Mr.MojoRisin.

Follow Us