Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • Streen, why not build your own. Yellow box lightsabers has some good tutorials on how to build them out of plumbing parts, and The Custom Saber Shop sells modular parts to build your own. TCSS also has an app that allows you to virtually build a hilt, and gives you the cost before you buy. Then you will have truly followed the Jedi path.
    • here's a thought. (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: I'm only talking about biology here. I have no idea what these socially constructed races are. I have never heard of a poor race, a ghetto race, an urban race and whatnot. The ones I am more familiar with always seem to make reference to external traits or geographical area, much like many other animal species and subspecies. *deep breath* THE POINT WE ARE TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT "BIOLOGICAL RACE" IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS. "Race" means the phenotypical differences among human beings, which are, by definition, the same species. If you're referring to anything other than superficial phenotypical differences--for example, differences in culture, language, hairstyle, whatever--that is an ethnicity, not a race. ETA - Dalton Conley gives a great explanation: Quote: While race and ethnicity share an ideology of common ancestry, they differ in several ways. First of all, race is primarily unitary. You can only have one race, while you can claim multiple ethnic affiliations. You can identify ethnically as Irish and Polish, but you have to be essentially either black or white. The fundamental difference is that race is socially imposed and hierarchical. There is an inequality built into the system. Furthermore, you have no control over your race; it's how you're perceived by others. For example, I have a friend who was born in Korea to Korean parents, but as an infant, she was adopted by an Italian family in Italy. Ethnically, she feels Italian: she eats Italian food, she speaks Italian, she knows Italian history and culture. She knows nothing about Korean history and culture. But when she comes to the United States, she's treated racially as Asian.
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by Brenna)
    • Disclaimer: Expressed the views of Yoda only are hmmm, yeees. Not necessarily do they represent the views of council, no they do not. Guidelines only are the teaching and words of Yoda. Individual results may vary.
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Quote: Senan, I agree with what you said except for one point. This thread is about forced service and to force someone to do something is to make it no longer a "right" or a "freedom" or a "choice." What makes you think you have a choice about anything? the language you use, going to school, having some kind of job, obeying the law, etc... ? I do have a choice. I could learn Spanish and speak nothing but that. I could skip school everyday and never go. I could chose not to go to work. I could break the law. People make those very choices every day. I would just have to live with the consequences of those choices. There are few people in my area that would understand me if I only spoke Spanish, I would be less intelligent and employable if I didn't go to school, I would get fired and become homeless if I didn't go to work, I would go to jail if I broke the law. I don't want those things to happen so I choose to speak the most common language of my area, to go to school, go to work, and obey the law. My point was simply that the topic of this thread is about forced military service and Senan's post was about doing it out of duty because people sacrificed and died for that right. My point was that forcing me to do it made it no longer a right. I was not saying that doing them out of a sense of duty is wrong, just that forcing me to do it out of someone else's sense of duty is. Edit: On a side note. I have nothing but respect for the military. I have considered joining them myself but I have a heart condition that makes me ineligible. I must do what I can for my country from home.
    • The Role of Logic (Last post by Goken)
    • I took one logic class in college and loved it. I agree that it's important but also that, as has been stated, it can lead to off topic nitpicking rather than actually discussing the topic at hand. I've seen lots of times when highly intelligent people were wrong and used logic to attack the argument of someone who wasn't as intelligent just to confuse and belittle them. I have seen it used as kind of a smart person's bullying tactic. Logic is one more thing that must be used correctly and carefully to actually be a tool for the betterment of the world.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 13# day without coffee.
    • What do you worship? (Last post by Streen)
    • Oh my. Well first of all, I stopped asking God why bad things happen when I realized that WE are the ones who allow bad things to happen. One might counter that with a message about natural disasters. We don't cause those, after all. I would re-counter that by saying, life involves suffering and death. That is a simple, inherent factor of being alive on this planet. I believe the right question to ask is, Why would an omnipresent and omnipotent God send a soul to hell? The description conflicts with the concept. God is a part of all of us, and we are a part of Him/Her/It. So why would God hurt himself? THAT is the question that preachers can't answer. At least, I have yet to hear an answer. If there's one thing preachers of this kind are good at, it's separating the human race from God. Always there is talk of what we owe God, what we take from God, how we deserve nothing kinder than death for the things we do. God created all things. What are all things made of? God. We Are That We Are. EDIT: I forgot to make the point that the word God is somewhat interchangeable with the word Force.
    • What makes a Jedi? (Last post by Aqua)
    • If you are faced with a serious problem, think very carefully. Is there a solution, then it makes no sense to excite. There is no solution, then it's no use you to excite. Unacceptable behaviour for Jedi, to much excitement.
    • Scientific Article: "Get Me Off Your F****** ... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: You should try to go to conferences. Sometimes I swear a majority of the people there are actors (people who get paid to pretend they work in/with the industry). Wouldn't surprise me one bit - if you want to meet the actual scientists, go to the town where the conference takes place. But rather than looking for them in the conference center, look for them in the local spa, zoo, micro-brewery etc. :-)

There are 324 visitors, 7 guests and 30 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Wescli Wardest, corugi, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Arcade, Brenna, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, SilverWolf, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, ChaosMerdy, Jamie Stick, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, Aqua, Oneiros, Exarchias, Rocda, Tk768, MrBruno, seshanaga, myriad.

Follow Us