Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 28 Nov 2011 06:47 #45110

Adder wrote:
I think a problem with Atheism is that religion has long been associated with being the source for morality, and Atheists havent realized that they currently are seen purely as a counter-culture which is not a self supporting system of its own equivilant to the religions. Since morality is so integral to religion, when a culture rejects religion it can be seen as rejecting those aspects of morality. While this might not be true individually as atheists sometimes argue morality exists within all humans as a choice, the problem is atheists are not associated with having a definition of morality. Some people might fear that in terms of measuring trust, and this could be amplified by terms used by some atheists to label all religious people as crazy, and not just the crazy religious people are crazy.

For me though, Atheism is a fine choice for some, but its like going to a theme park and not going on one the rides IMO.

Having said that I definatly dont prescribe to what I call liturgical suffrage and blind doctoral faith, but I do think that blind faith can be a tool, and the religious content can be the raw materials, together for accessing 'spirituality', whether that be higher human functions or metaphysical natures.

So for me most religions are better represented as models for metaprogramming of the brain to allow our minds to access, and be accessed by, the subconscious and through that, hopefully, the metaphysical realm. If the metaphysical realm does exist, then because the subconscious mind not only has access to the senses, but it has access to the full range of capabilities of the senses, it might be the pathway to it. The conscious mind only gets what the subconscious mind considers relevant to interaction and survival in our environment as a function of available brain capacity, apparantly.

So for me belief in an 'other' higher conscious plane of existance that is caged in terms of reference which our conscious minds can understand, such as personified God/s, creates a shared language that our conscious and subconscious minds can use to communicate, other then the hackneyed physical feelings and emotions. From that greater awareness hopefully we can achieve greater access to the Force.

So I sort of see atheists just as people who are not interested in trying to use metaprogramming to increase their spirituality - nothing wrong with that but on the other hand it makes all the effort by many athesists to attack beliefs seem pointless. Attacking religions on the other hand can be more meaningul sometimes, but these are human institutions run by humans and humans are definatly not perfect, especially when we are talking about things occuring over thousands of years.

I agree 99.99%. The only thing I don't agree with is attacking religions for it isn't just a "thing" out there but dear and close personal beliefs of people and people should all be treated with respect and so shall their ideas. I respect a Wiccan's religion even though there is some parts that don't make sense to me like dipping a knife into a cup of water somehow does something? Which I don't understand but I will respect that for it is their symbolism of something bigger of some sort. Other than that I say spot on.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 28 Nov 2011 06:57 #45112

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Nameless3450 wrote:
I agree 99.99%. The only thing I don't agree with is attacking religions for it isn't just a "thing" out there but dear and close personal beliefs of people and people should all be treated with respect and so shall their ideas. I respect a Wiccan's religion even though there is some parts that don't make sense to me like dipping a knife into a cup of water somehow does something? Which I don't understand but I will respect that for it is their symbolism of something bigger of some sort. Other than that I say spot on.

Dowh! You caught the pre-edit version where I said doctoral instead of doctrinal :pinch: LOL dammit. Yep Nameless3450, definatly agree respect of others is vital, perhaps moreso if its unfamiliar as respect could be the most efficient way to enable learning more about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011 07:02 by Adder.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 29 Nov 2011 21:46 #45210

As you will note below my icon to the left, I have the phrase “Fear is the lack of knowledge”. I believe, that in all things, the differences that arise among people are handled in a similar way. If there is a difference that the larger group does not understand or believe is the incorrect interpretation of social order, and if they do not try to understand the differences of the smaller group or individual, fear is born.

As fear grows, the divide between the groups widen. Alienation along with unrealistic and more often false accusations arises about each other’s group. Stories are told and become more and more outlandish. “FEAR those that do not think like us for they are the antichrist!” “Do not say prayers in the classroom or my child may become some religious fanatic!” Believe me, as a catholic and a PTA (parent-teacher association) past president, I have heard both of these things in many ways and from many people.

Could it be that a person that is spending so much time trying to remove prayer from everywhere, is thinking more about religion because he fears the unknown of the “here-after”? Could it be that the universal consciousness we call the Force is trying to reach out to that person and redirect their path?

Could it be that a person so wrapped up in their religious beliefs is actually having a crisis of faith and is overcompensating? Are they trying to talk themselves into faith because they don’t know what to actually believe?

What I am not saying is that people need a religion in one of the standard faiths, but in something. Morality has no religion because it is not religion based. It is humanity based. It is the idea that we are all here together and we all inherit an inalienable right to life. The fact is that people are inherently good and wish no harm upon another.

We learn to hate and that hatred is borne of our fears of the unknown.

The Force is no stronger in a Christian, Muslim, Hindi, or Buddhist than it is in an Atheist. The Force has no religion! The Force IS! We all must learn to tap into the Force, to understand the path we are on, and to follow that path to enlightenment. On our path, the journey to the end, we must remember that the total consciousness of The Force IS ALL OF US!

Fear leads to the Dark Side in which war is waged and senseless killing is committed against another one of US! Knowledge and Wisdom in all people are the ultimate weapons against war and hatred.

May the true nature of The Force find those that need to find their right path.
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 30 Nov 2011 09:31 #45225

Phortis Nespin wrote:
As you will note below my icon to the left, I have the phrase “Fear is the lack of knowledge”. I believe, that in all things, the differences that arise among people are handled in a similar way. If there is a difference that the larger group does not understand or believe is the incorrect interpretation of social order, and if they do not try to understand the differences of the smaller group or individual, fear is born.

As fear grows, the divide between the groups widen. Alienation along with unrealistic and more often false accusations arises about each other’s group. Stories are told and become more and more outlandish. “FEAR those that do not think like us for they are the antichrist!” “Do not say prayers in the classroom or my child may become some religious fanatic!” Believe me, as a catholic and a PTA (parent-teacher association) past president, I have heard both of these things in many ways and from many people.

Could it be that a person that is spending so much time trying to remove prayer from everywhere, is thinking more about religion because he fears the unknown of the “here-after”? Could it be that the universal consciousness we call the Force is trying to reach out to that person and redirect their path?

Could it be that a person so wrapped up in their religious beliefs is actually having a crisis of faith and is overcompensating? Are they trying to talk themselves into faith because they don’t know what to actually believe?

What I am not saying is that people need a religion in one of the standard faiths, but in something. Morality has no religion because it is not religion based. It is humanity based. It is the idea that we are all here together and we all inherit an inalienable right to life. The fact is that people are inherently good and wish no harm upon another.

We learn to hate and that hatred is borne of our fears of the unknown.

The Force is no stronger in a Christian, Muslim, Hindi, or Buddhist than it is in an Atheist. The Force has no religion! The Force IS! We all must learn to tap into the Force, to understand the path we are on, and to follow that path to enlightenment. On our path, the journey to the end, we must remember that the total consciousness of The Force IS ALL OF US!

Fear leads to the Dark Side in which war is waged and senseless killing is committed against another one of US! Knowledge and Wisdom in all people are the ultimate weapons against war and hatred.

May the true nature of The Force find those that need to find their right path.

You said mostly what i was going to say lol.

My significant other is a christian and so is her family what i've learnt from talking with them is different depending on the person. Her step-father is probably the most fanatical of them all and the fact that any other religion or point or view is just as valid or possible as his makes him angry. Some other family members who you can tell probably believe in a god mostly out fear and in this case the fear of death and there being absolutely nothing after death. So when science comes along and tries to challenge common conceptions of not just religion but everything that fear of what they hold true to them possibly being wrong would scare anyone in my opinion.

On a side note i personally feel like atheist have a horrible name for themselves these days and it's not because of the bulk it's mostly the idiots that just want to cause mayhem and i personally think it's alot like one of the points i made earlier i think the people that go out and attack other religions or beliefs but for the most part its christians they attack but i think they may fear being wrong and thats their way of feeling more secure.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 30 Nov 2011 13:56 #45240

What NumbEffect said, but also:

I think people as less afraid of Atheism than they just dislike a lot of Atheists partly because of the ones that just want to cause mayhem, but also the general "My lack of religion is the only right way and you should believe there is no god too" attitude conveyed by many. This leads some to dislike Atheists for the same reasons that many Atheists feel the same about every other religion. As I always say, evil men are evil men no matter what they profess to believe in.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 30 Nov 2011 15:30 #45245

I sm not sure it's fear neccarily as it is to not know. I've been to many churches in my time and each one was a different way to God. If you didn't do it in that churches way you were going to hell. However, one thing that they did share was Jesus' is the only way. I think sometimes people fear atheism because there is perhaps their own fear within their insecurities about their own beliefs that is if there is a real fear amongst those who are of religous faith.

Although, that we're on the subject I personally believe that there is no such thing as Atheism. Doing studies and talking with so-called Athiests believe in something. Either it is the flying pasta monster or that they came from monkies or they believe in aliens and so on. Agonstic is greek meaning for "Not knowing" meaning they are undecided for the most part not saying their isn't and not saying there is a god kind of neutral. Now I may be wrong about my statements and I don't mean to offend anyone if I have because I respect everyone in the temple and I don't want any hard feelings.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 30 Nov 2011 15:37 #45246

Ooops pushed the send button lol...but I myself personally I still consider myself a devout believer in Christ and a Jedi. I have dealt over the years of people saying mean and hurtful things and I'm fine with that it's no different when I tell people I am a jedi. One thing I have really learned to excercise the last couple of years in tolerance. Learn to live with people, love people, learn from people. Often, there is just too much hate going around and too little peace. You don't have to like always what people do however, understand that not everyone is like you. Wouldn't the world be a little boring if were all the same? Yes, I love variety and I'm sure God does as well in my own beliefs. There is nothing to be afraid of nor should anybody be.

M.T.F.B.W.Y!

Sven

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 30 Nov 2011 21:45 #45250

• ren
  • ID: 4418
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 00:58 #45254

Agreed. I actually never see Atheists gather together at all.. But if they do, what do they talk about?
"Hello, everyone! There is no god! Let's begin the day with a group discussion on your experience of godlessness. I baked cookies and brought coffee for everyone, please, help yourself! There is no god! Now, I'll start and we'll go in clockwise order and begin with how you experienced a lack of god this week!"

I'd imagine it more like a support group.. They used to have an Atheist booth out on the Venice beach boardwalk but I think they got tired of sitting there all day talking about the futility of religion. They had pamphlets on the history of Atheism. Books by famous atheists. Seems a limited basis for discussion. The only fuel for conversation I would imagine atheists have would be all the crazy things the fundamentalists do and say! That would be a never ending source of amusement!

Re: Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism? 01 Dec 2011 02:49 #45260

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
ren wrote:
Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

And neither should good Christians.... Judge other people... lol...

They should be available if you wanna talk about something.... The door to door thing, eh, they dont bother me.... I told last ones I was a Jedi, and explained my beliefs... I was just shy of a ramble.... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by sidvkili)
    • Quote: I am going to ask that this topic stops... I am not going to lock it... Lets see who can put their training to use... I know I can! wait damn it! I just posted
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by tzb)
    • Apologies I haven't had time to provide more in-depth feedback for this lesson guys, writing some of the later topics has kept me more occupied than I would have liked. You're all getting hold of the idea of adventure, and the hero will become more apparent as we progress through the topics. There were some interesting responses to Campbell's quote in question 3 - as to being ready to answer the call, the topic of discussion 2 will draw out the difficulties inherent in that. I'm also thrilled how open and ready to accept you all are in your responses, including your answers to question 4. It's really inspiring to hear that you can all perceive the "heroism" which is possible in your, perhaps conventional (no offence! Mine is) lives. I'm also really happy a few of you have expanded that outwards to say "everyone" can be a hero, "everyone" can have adventures. I hope that translates not just to ourselves, but to everyone we meet... the guy making our coffee, the girl at the gas station, the person who cuts us off in traffic. They are all heroes of their own stories, they all weave their own adventures.
    • about Padawan (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: I suggest that waterfall braid for Knight rank and fish tail + french braid for Master rank! :side: :woohoo: LOL Well this would be problematic for me. Ive never managed to get a handle on the water fall braid, but I wear mine is a fishtail almost daily. I have the hair for any of those... lol :lol: Probably should have taken a pic when my niece french braided mine....for some reason she put a really narrow braid down the middle....that bit got knotted up pretty good too, when I undid the braid a couple days later...
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Lots of annoying things irritate the hell out of me....when it gets to be too much I take a deep breath in through my nose and exhale slowly out my mouth and utter the word fah kit....mentally I attach the irritations to the word say they depart as the breath departs...
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by jedi_roz)
    • Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Refused a call? Yes, in going to a different university. I ended up choosing one closer to home rather than one that was halfway across the country. I chose to be two hours from home rather than two days because my family was not in the best health and both my brothers were still in school, I felt responsible to help them if I needed to be home fast. However in the end it worked out because I fell in love, got married and am now teaching at my first college that I graduated from. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I think people get comfortable. They are afraid to take a chance, or can't take that chance due to personal circumstances. I couldn't leave tomorrow for another job across the country because we would have to sell our house, figure out our animals, the horses etc. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? In our instance my husband would have to quit his job for me to move but if I got a full time job in the teaching field it would be a good thing. I do think that's a great reason, and I'm actively hunting for just that. I'm 32 years old and have no future, nothing saved, no retirement to look forward to. I need to start looking to that future. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? I refer to this line: We Believe; In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty. I would certainly refuse a call to commit horrible acts on humans (or animals even) A great example in my area right now is just recently a small 4yr old boy was beaten to death by the mothers boyfriend. I will save the list of injuries except to say the child suffered for almost a day and half before he got medical attention and by that point the damage was done and he passed. Now there is darn near a lynch mob for the guy who did this and people are downright ready to kill him. Truthfully the mother in me is aghast, however we were talking about it at work and one of my coworkers friends is the father of this little boy. She is ready to commit murder to avenge this child's death. I couldn't follow her conversation. I agree punishment is in order, and certainly drastic but what people have threatened to do or even commit to this man is just wrong. Could I work in the jail where this man is at? Could I be in the jury to condemn this man? I don't think so. I don't feel I could treat this guy right, (not that I am going to do anything to him but I don't think I could stay neutral in this scenario, I wouldn't be able to do my job) I don't want to see what people describe doing either. I just try to stay as neutral as possible. This one is hard because passion runs high and people are angry.
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by Revan Falton)
    • Quote: Let us also not forget when the rich wage war it is the poor who die, the other part to that is the rich win regardless of outcome... now please do not think me evil but if there is war and fights and skirmishes make no mistake some one is getting rich regardless of your views ...the tools for war are paid for in money..please dont forget that. Incorrect, it is religion agendas that are the big product of war. Every war resulted from either religion or agendas. Donald trump or Rockefeller are not out there starting wars.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 17 checking in. Today was yoga, 40 minutes. My muscles are in that kind of achy state at the moment from the work I've been doing ( :) ) so it was hard, but actually it was the best one I've done so far. I attempted, and (bar a few failed attempts in which I fell on my face and laughed at myself), I managed to do Bakasana / Crow pose. For anyone that is interested, crow pose is where you lean forwards on your hands looking forward, and balance your knees on the back of your arms. It is not easy and I've failed previously, but the fact I managed it today means that I am definitely stronger than when I started, which is good.
    • Open Sermon Slots (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Twice now I've sent my sermon to someone on the day it's supposed to be published and I noticed that it's pretty much not enough turn around time so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommended amount of time prior to the day it's supposed to be published that open sermons should be submitted?

There are 194 visitors, 7 guests and 29 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Garwa Mayharr, Darren, Proteus, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Clone_Warrior, Williamkaede, Khaos, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Edan, tzb, Kaverael, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, benedictveritas, Frost, Mathew Erickson, SeventhSL, Sabel, Oneiros, dkiefersu, Mos-An Hobel, I.R97.

Follow Us