Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: How do you know that the "choice" you have made was not inevitable? As in, if you you take a look at your entire situation, life history, and say that in one instance you choose to join the military, is it possible to "copy" you (your life, history, situation, etc), and watch that copy choose not to join the military? Excellent point - in pedagogy alleged 'choice' is often used as students who think they have a choice are happy students. In reality, they rarely do. It's fairly easy to trick someone in thinking he or she has a choice.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 15# day without coffee.
    • Live Service, Monday, 1 December at 20:00 UTC (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Hello everyone ... :cheer: We'll be having a Live Service in the TotJO chat this Monday, 1st December at 20:00 UTC. The topic will be our monthly reflexion for the month of December : Greed, yet Generosity. It will be nice to see as many of you there as can make it. :)
    • Survivors (Last post by Rocda)
    • I was listening to NPR this week and there was a discussion about survivors, people who survived avalanche or being lost at sea. There are some common traits of people who survive these disasters. 1. They are aware of dangers and tend to prepare. Things like bringing blankets, flashlight and food when traveling through a blizzard. 2. Their attitude is never, why did this happen to me or who is to blame. The attitude is, this is the situation. What do I need to do to survive the next half hour? After surviving the half hour, they congratulate themselves for surviving, then concentrate on surviving the next half hour. It's survivors attitude and outlook.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: I don't know if hate leads to suffering, but my suffering of an 8 pound charge by royal mail for their handling of an international package with 9.50 VAT imposed at the border (which I obviously also have to pay) is causing a great deal of anger. This being said the company I bought from offers vouchers to encourage trade with the EU, and they even covered the royal mail fee, which is pretty awesome. Living in a non-EU country in the mittle of Europe, I feel your pain. They charge 22.50 CHF + tax here for every package that has a value of more than 65CHF. If it's over 200 Fr value, they charge 35 + tax. I love it :-(
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by Peej16870)
    • That line is one of the few things that i hold onto from episode one as actually being good. While the order of events may not always be exact the pattern can be seen many times in history and are somewhat echoed in human nature. We fear what we do not understand. If we do not understand it it we develop a sense of anger towards it being different from what we accept as normal. anger over time develops into a deep hatred. If something is hated for long enough it is made to suffer in some form untill it conforms to what we hold our ideals to be.
    • Userpics and nicknames (Last post by Aqua)
    • The name ''Aqua'' refers to the water. I have experienced many things, and every time I came back alive.. As people can read in one of my posts: Aqua`s Journal: Aqua: ,,I was born two months earlier than expected, to this I had a collapsed lung at birth and cardiac arrest a few days later. The resulted in asthma and pneumonia.'' When I was about five I guess, I tinkered with a nail into a wall outlet, resulting in a huge shock from around 220 Volt. Many years later I had a similar, less dangerous, experience with a shock from a open hand dryer. At the age of eight I was almost drowned in the Mediterranean sea near a pier, stuck in seaweed, and some time later I had problems with an compass saw machine, at that time it was a huge thing and I could not find the off button and was shaking with it, almost lost my left arm, glad that did not happen. Due to flexible recovery and adaptability during these and other situations; I picked the name Aqua as my community name. Robinson Jeffers: ,,The tides are in our veins.''
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Quote: 31 Weapons are terrible things. If you want to get right with Tao, reject weapons. The Master, knowing that all things came from Tao, recognizes what he has in common with his enemies. But when there is no other choice, he uses force reluctantly. He does so with great restraint, and never celebrates a victory; to do so would be to rejoice in killing. A person who would rejoice in killing has lost touch completely with Tao. When you win a war, you preside over a funeral. Pay your respects to the dead. :) So the using weapons is like starting a civil war?
    • Jediism and non Jediism (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: I was wondering.. what is the difference between someone who study Jediism, and someone who does not? The second question: Are there differences like insight or point of view between someone who study Jediism, and someone who does not?? ~ Aqua Not much that I can tell. It only makes a difference on where you can post. ;)
    • Ikigai - "a reason for being" (Last post by den385)
    • @Adder - But how are gonna be good at both maths and football to the point that you're getting paid? )) @Aqua - I am afraid, finding Ikigai is a way of uncertainty and sometimes it can seem quite a labyrinth. I can discuss how I've found mine, if it would be of any help. 1) I was studying pure higher mathematics in one of Russia's best place for it. I wasn't very good and there were problems distracting. It didn't inspire me, it didn't light fire in my eyes, it didn't make my heart burn, there was no drive. Yet, it was useful. 2) Then I did quite courageous and same time stupid thing - I transferred to much less cool university (MIREA) with applied maths and programming. It was hard to study in that place, but I've started to get what Ikigai is, though I didn't know this word then. The fire came only in tiny pieces - when I planned my programming course projects and reached success in 'em, and when I was meeting interesting people and interesting tasks on programming conferences, which more like a hangout than a serious thing. 3) On last course of MIREA, I started to work as Junior programmer. It was hell of a lot frustrations. You don't know much, people seemed mean sometimes, they didn't want me to grow, just want to be productive. Normal jobs, yet I wasn't much of a fighter that time. I understood, that some life distractions and bad structure of MIREA and much more - my own indecisiveness costed me chances to do my own thing and have precious experience. 4) I changed several jobs in next 3 years. Was searching for "the right thing". Never understanding, that the only "right thing" I was searching was drive from challenges. This search and personal issues rewarded me with frustrations, uncertainty and instability in my career. 5) Finally, due to personal issues and my own lack of experience, I landed up on an awfullest job I ever had. Bad wage, bad tasks, bad people. Anti-drive in overabundance. And here I've understood that Ikigai is your own game above every professional activity there is. I understood that you can have your own rules of craft. But if your rules are not strict enough, they will get you fired. So your rules should be "what is expected of ordinary ok worker" + "what gives you drive: purpose, autonomy, mastery". Sometimes it's something extra on job. Sometimes - a side-project. 6) Now I've left this job with resources for a few months. I can finish my own project and find a decent job. Over all I can say that finding Ikigai is what Jobs meant by "follow your heart, don't stop" in his famous Stanford lecture. It's not easy, but if you can do it, your working life becomes meaningful and rewarding. And I believe that when you are good at what you love, and if you have will, that is the only right road to success. Finding Ikigai depends on self confidence. What self confidence is - it's subjective. But when you have your own world, your own vision, your own life, than working just to get paid starts to be a bad deal. And you are on a search for another attitude. I could say, you're searching for your own game wthin the Game of Life.
    • Transcendence (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: I would recommend the documentary "Transcendent Man" if you haven't seen it ad enjoyed the movie. Essentially Ray Kurzweil is Johnny Depps character sans the science fiction....at present. Also Extropianism/Extropism & Max More. Here is an interview/debate between Max and Ray, and discusses things like the singularity.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • When I priced them some where higher/some lower on both ends. Both are awesome companies, but the had been some negative talk on other forums about Ultra ( mostly their conversion and commissioned work). But I will still stand by both being awesome companies, fair priced, and still the most recommended. You can't go wrong either way. Ultra does have some cooler custom pieces though.

There are 345 visitors, 6 guests and 33 members online (6  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, RyuJin, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Joe, SenseiMitPen, Darren, Gisteron, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, Llama Su, Kamizu, mdk, Silvermane, Kaverael, babyblueyes247, Pyrus Erath, a67, Jamie Stick, blindbat84, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, Exarchias, Exar Qel Droma, Cyan Sarden, den385, almosteasy69, Anyanwu, AJGBlack, Sephiriel.

Follow Us