Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • here's a thought. (Last post by Anyanwu)
    • Quote: Quote: I don't think its the same thing? Sex is a biological thing while race is socially constructed. Also sex has a "gender" construct on top of it (Girls like pink Boys like blue nonsense), which I think is another problem to add to the mix. Race is a very biological thing I'm afarid. It's the new feminist definition of "gender" that says it is constructed. Personally I also think that we have more sex-based social attitudes than we have racial ones.... Then again there seems to be some sort whole "black culture" and misappropriation of culture thing goinmg on around some circles... Personally I don't really care when black people wear "white people" clothes (rofl), I'm white european, the wife is black african, and we both think it's all a load of bollocks. funny trivia: Before pink was marketed for girls (an now women) it was a boy colour. It was seen as softer (for babies) than red (blood/men). Girls would be dressed in blue, seen as a proper soft colour. If you add certain biological facts to the equation it makes the whole thing even more hilarious. I think the current reason behind all the "pink" marketing efforts is to create a false sense of girl power whilst making sure parents have to pay again for what the bigger brother already had and stopped using. Race is not biological. It is a social concept used to categorize and separate people in order to benefit one group over another. There is no "white race" or "black race". I'm gonna need receipts to see otherwise. Here are mine: * Wikipedia's first line on Race: Race is a social concept used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation. * Response from anthropologist Dr. Shea: An anthropologist who proposed using race as a serious way of describing human variability would be laughed out of the profession—not for reasons of political correctness, but because the idea displays a manifest ignorance of biology. More than 60 years ago, M. F. Ashley Montagu demolished the concept of “race” in his book, Man’s Most Dangerous Myth: The Fallacy of Race (1945). Nevertheless, like many a bad idea, the notion persists that there is some useful purpose in classifying humanity into five, six or a dozen races. * PBS even has a nifty interactive learning webpag about Race * AAPA Statement on Biological Aspects of Race(Published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, vol. 101, pp 569-570, 1996): These old racial categories were based on externally visible traits, primarily skin color, features of the face, and the shape and size of the head and body, and the underlying skeleton. They were often imbued with nonbiological attributes, based on social constructions of race. These categories of race are rooted in the scientific traditions of the 19th century, and in even earlier philosophical traditions which presumed that immutable visible traits can predict the measure of all other traits in an individual or a population. Such notions have often been used to support racist doctrines. Yet old racial concepts persist as social conventions that foster institutional discrimination. The expression of prejudice may or may not undermine material well-being, but it does involve the mistreatment of people and thus it often is psychologically distressing and socially damaging. Scientists should try to keep the results of their research from being used in a biased way that would serve discriminatory ends. I got more if you need it. As well as some books on the subject. :) Now ethnicity, genetic variations, etc. THAT is biological. But someone's ethnicity isn't black, white, or asian. Of course YOU don't care if black folks wear your clothes, the history of the action is different. Like you said your white European, so of course there is going to be difference. Now sometimes I do admit it does go overboard but there is a REAL issue/problem at work. The main thing is "white's making it right". A black person does something and its ghetto, ugly, stupid, etc. But when a white person does it its edgy, urban, cool, etc. Even if that something is the same thing! Its this double standard that I take issue with.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Checking in for yesterday... no idea what day it is... 25 minutes of fairly intense yoga.
    • Thanksgiving Origins- Does it Matter? (Last post by Edan)
    • I come from the UK, so I don't celebrate thanksgiving. However, every Christmas someone gets upset at the lack of 'christian spirit' at Christmas. I'm not Christian, so for me Christmas is about spending time with the family, and appreciating your friends. Call the season what you want, for me the result is the same. I would think perhaps that is similar to thanksgiving.. does it necessarily matter how you got the holiday, if you spend it doing something you think is worthwhile?
    • Shambhala Flyer (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Quote: people are not fundamentally good . Kindness and wisdom take practice. I agree, wisdom is generally a product of experience. Kindness occurs in a spectrum from those who are innately pleasant to those who recognize the wisdom of kindness is that it is generally rewarded by the same. I think the statement of "Fundamentally good" is vague enough to drive through with a bus, and likely it is intentionally semantically challenged... It is a simple statement that evokes discussion and contemplation. As such it has succeeded ;) I believe people are fundamentally good, but those impulses can be perverted by pain and suffering in life (not to mention the infectious negativity of someone else's suffering rubbing off on others). In addition, the behaviours of one or few are different than the mob, which is fickle on a scale-of-whuut different...
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Love the title lol. I have something to be very thankful for. On 10 Nov 2014 my daughter was born. Long labor short, the doctor discovered something that could/should have been a major major problem that would have resulted in her death before she was born. What I thought was a nearly painless pregnancy should have been classified as a high risk.
    • In a Sith Bar..... (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Quote: You mean he wanted an Alec Guinness? :whistle: Yes, if I'd have thought of it B) Good one :laugh:
    • Jedi Movies? (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • Matrix The Last Samurai The Dark Crystal DragonHeart - in the code of honor and doing the right thing Excalibur Men of Honor - Due to it's message of honor and never giving up despite unbelievable odds
    • Parents Religion and Respect (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • I can relate to Cyan's situation as well, I am 44 years old, 90% of my family is Irish catholic, I was brought up in a bapist church, and baptized in a pentcostal church in alexandria, LA because I had never been baptized before and "thought" it was the right thing to do at the time. I was wrong. I felt uncomfortable there, other people started judging me because I did not speak in tongues yet and could not understand my reserved nature. I believe in christianity and I have an open mind to all religions as well. However, as far as religion and christianity is concerned, you can believe in God ANYWHERE, because he is ANYWHERE. You don't HAVE TO BE IN A CHURCH. Going to church is nice for the sense of community, but you have to feel comfortable there and like you belong or it will not work. When I met Rachel, a woman I consider my wife in everyway possible that matters, she was already "on paper" married. her husband was an....well, lets just say he was not a nice guy and did not care about her like i did. Despite her being married "on paper" we lived our lives as if we were married. We had a wonderful son together that we named "Aiden-Gabriel" and we went to the local church to get him "just prayed over" not baptized, just a short "I bless this child so he may grow up protected by the Lord". There were no pastors within a 50 mile radius who would do it. I thought it unfair because children of any age are a blessing. So after searching for a church to go to in the state that I live in which is Georgia, and not finding one I then joined here. I feel more at peace here. As far as your parents threatening to kick you out because you are suposedly leading your sister astray I say these things and I'm using my "common english" bible on this " Do not Judge or you too will be judged. For in the same way you will judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" Matthew 7 verses 1 and 2 . ( kings James translation "Judge not ye be not judged". I was raised disabiled, I was born with mild epilepsy and mild cerebal palsy in my left side. I walk with a limp and I have maybe 30% mobility in my left side. My parents "could have" given me away and tried again for a more "normal" child, but they didn't. They loved me and still love me regardless. I believe that parents should love their children no matter what path they decide. I agree 100% with Cabur though, if you need us, reach out to us we are here for you.
    • Etymology of the word "Jedi" (Last post by den385)
    • @Proteus - I'll answer from pov of my amateur etymology - please, ignore it if it doesn't feel right for you ) 1) The word Jedi originates from "jidai" part of "jidaigeki", where "geki" stands for "drama". So, I'd say that there is no "drama" in being a Jedi :) 2) About translating "jidai" as relating to the "present moment" - IMHO, it's not so. Meiji jidai - that's how they call a historical epoch of Meiji in Japan. So, epoch seems to be the main translation. Of course, etymology doesn't define the meaning ("semantics") of the word. E.g. if your name is "Jesus" (I've googled that it was 0.155% popular male name in USA for 2005) it doesn't mean you can make miracles or even that you're a decent person. Etymology just brings connotations. @Alan Thank you for references! I've seen most of these and you should definitely commit 'em to the "Jedi Movies" -> topic :) @SilverWolf By resources I mean time and energy and conscious effort and meditation to get some sense out of what's happening in the world. News are information, distorted by many things. Politics is just one facet of life. I mean sensing the whole stream of life on the planet - a myriad of flows. Culture, politics, climate, technology, social changes, ethical changes, changes of habits, of style, fashion, trends, economics. And maybe some of this will induce actions of yours.
    • Strict adherence to doctrine. (Last post by Br. John)
    • If the question is can a member of The Order believe in the Death Penalty even though TOTJO as an organization is against it - the answer is they probably can. Merely believing you believe in the Death Penalty as an abstraction is not executing anyone. It may be that upon examining individual cases you won't believe in it or you're unaware of the implications of the Death Penalty in actual practice.
    • Friendly weight loss challenge (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: If you guys are gonna go for percentage of weight lost, I encourage you to focus on cardio as it's really the best way to shrink fat cells. I disagree. Cardio is nice while you're actually doing cardio, but for a really lasting effect weightlifting or HIIT are amazing. When you build muscle, your body uses more energy. Not just while you're exercising, but all the time. You're burning more calories at rest than you did before, because those muscles still need energy and power even when you're not doing lifts or presses or butterflies or what-have-you. I also read in a study somewhere (that I'm Googling for, and can't find) that somewhere in the neighborhood of 78% of your caloric expenditure is at rest, agreeing with the above statement that you use more energy at rest just doing living-person things like breathing and stretching and not-falling-over-dead, percentage-wise, than you do while working out. NerdFitness has an article that compares cardio, HIIT, and weight training, and you can use the Google-ma-tron for other articles or studies if you don't like the one I've given.
    • Placement of the Simple Oath (Last post by Adder)
    • I think the idea is the public announcement to be on and committed to their Jedi path, but the material at TOTJO does not pretend to be the path, its just an example of material to help one on their path. Sorry, I don't have much time today so am in and out a bit (busy).

There are 370 visitors, 4 guests and 29 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Nakis, V-Tog, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Talariq, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, microft, Kwalker, porkapon763, GalUnDrux, Exarchias, Cyan Sarden, Arkayik, RaB, Solipsis, Tankyù-Sha, almosteasy69, Anyanwu, Zakkar.

Follow Us