evolution

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: evolution 22 Oct 2011 14:01 #43815

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I can give an example of rapid evolution from a single cell to a complex mammal.

Human_Carnegie_stage_1-23.jpg
Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coryduran

Re: evolution 22 Oct 2011 14:02 #43816

Brilliant, you can even see it evolve through life forms, as it reaches a tadpole resemblance stage, then a lizard resemblance, then finally it begins to look like a human!

Re: evolution 01 Nov 2011 01:05 #44039

Hmm...

I see no reason why evolution disproves creationism and no reason why creationism disproves evolutionists.

Like it has been stated..man takes the bible to litterally. Time is a concept of man used like a filing system to categorize everything. So the authors of the Bible used 7 days. But why does 7 days have to litterally mean 7 days? Those 7 days could have been millions or even billions of earth concept years. But moments for God. And the creation of all beasts and the creation of man...well who's to say that evolution was not occuring but the author had no way to describe the concept.

Just some food for thought on the matter.
Master: Dan

-Sometimes....this is just hilarious. Welcome to the Viking Realms people! But seriously....we're eating boars and drinking mead....don't think you'll interrupt us.

Re: evolution 01 Nov 2011 04:42 #44046

No one really says that they disprove each other, except for all of the people that fight about it.

There are plenty of level headed people who believe the two ideas can both be true, and even more than think they can co exist at least, but there are a huge number of people who feel it's one way or the other sadly.

Re: evolution 15 Nov 2011 13:17 #44427

shaunk wrote:
i believe in evolution not just physical but mental as well, i feel most people forget about the latter.

I like this.

I have no problem with physical evolution (as it is pretty well documented), but I think the mental evolution is just as important. We should accept truth where ever it comes from and where ever we can find it. And contrariwise, we should we willing to reject something taught as truth (if our direct experience later shows it to be false) no matter where we have heard it or been influenced by it. That's very important in mental evolution.
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: evolution 04 Dec 2011 09:04 #45411

well its been awhile since i checked in, mostly just been trolling the forums then log off. This is what I've discovered so far.
Some of the church members believe to deeply in creationism and find it appalling that they do not teach it in school. They are so set in the bible that it is truth to them. I tried using those passages Br.John and what i got as an answer was evening disturbing. They said I was looking too deep into it and to just except it as fact with no real facts to support there theory.
They seriously believe we are descendants of adam and eve even with me trying to (but no one would listen) about lilith the very first women in the original old testament. I tried to account about the other races. They dismissed this as well with no explanation.
I have talked to a methodist preacher who is open minded enough to hear me bout jediism and evolution/creationism. a friend of mine wants me to meet her rabbi and talk to him and she said he is intrigued with my thinking and philosophy on the subject as well.
its the protestant christians im finding you cannot talk too cause they take the scriptures literally. even my friend im still staying with is this way too. I usually just nod and go my way now.

Re: evolution 04 Dec 2011 11:32 #45418

I'm with Coryduran on this one. Time on a geologic scale is different than on an evolutionary scale. 65 million years is a split second in the big picture. So why can't the creation of Adam and Eve be the evolution of the first man and woman from the swampy pools of prehistoria?
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: evolution 04 Dec 2011 12:10 #45420

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
www.thankgodforevolution.com/

I urge anyone who's interested in this issue to get this book. There's plenty of free information on the site so take your time there.

About Rev. Michael Dowd evolutionarychristianity.com/blog/about-michael/

And of course see evolutionarychristianity.com/
Founder of The Order

Re: evolution 04 Dec 2011 13:05 #45423

War Beauty wrote:
Hmm...

I see no reason why evolution disproves creationism and no reason why creationism disproves evolutionists.

Like it has been stated..man takes the bible to litterally. Time is a concept of man used like a filing system to categorize everything. So the authors of the Bible used 7 days. But why does 7 days have to litterally mean 7 days? Those 7 days could have been millions or even billions of earth concept years. But moments for God. And the creation of all beasts and the creation of man...well who's to say that evolution was not occuring but the author had no way to describe the concept.

Just some food for thought on the matter.

I fully agree and second your comment.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Art as Meditation? (Last post by Streen)
    • Very cool, Jamie :). Yes, it is safe to say that that is meditation. It doesn't have to be about sitting still, breathing a particular way, or emptying your mind. In a sense, in your drawing, you are doing all of that anyway, just not consciously. I'm a landscape painter, and I can definitely confirm that it has the same effect as "ordinary" meditation. It could be anything. Art, music, exercise, washing dishes, etc. Whatever focuses your mind. Chinese calligraphy was considered a form of meditation because it took time to create the ink. You had to rub a block in water a certain number of times, and this act would create the meditative state that was necessary for good calligraphy.
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • prophetic dreams are over here for discussion... www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Gener...794-prophetic-dreams
    • Prophetic Dreams (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • I started this here so my other dream string wouldn't get tangeted to death. Does anyone have Prophetic Dreams? I don't... propheticdreamers.com/prophetic-dreamer-test/ I have intuitive flashes and images of the future when awake but really don't/can't control them. They happen when they happen and are difficultto distinguish from random thoughts so reliabilty is low. Please tell us about your prophetic dreams if you have them. Dreamers need only post. :)
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by Streen)
    • I agree on all points :). Seems silly, but then, I guess it's too bad we live in a world where such things are silly. :silly:
    • military strain (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Thought I'd start this for our military members to discuss some of the stresses,strains,anxieties, etc that they face on a regular basis. The only ones that can really understand what military members go/have gone through are other military members. Military service does affect behaviour, mood, and health but not only in positive ways, negative as well. First there is the culture shock of bootcamp where they break you down and build you back up. I've seen my share of people crack under the pressure, to the point of receiving a discharge (we called them section 8's). Those that make it through then have to get through the strain of their chosen training school. From there it's into service...that presents a whole new mess of stresses depending upon where you're stationed...there's isolation from family, foreign opposition, and countless other stressors. When I served I did many things I never did prior, nor since...most of us do, it's one of many coping methods servicemen use...some get reckless(like me), some get violent, some use alcohol,some drugs, some combine methods...and then we find ourselves facing the stress of returning to civilian life which has become an alien world to us...the lack of structure and organization is enough to set us off...some of us(most of us) take years to readjust, some need help ,some don't...for all, time, understanding, and patience are needed.... So yeah I figured I'd park this post for our other military members to discuss the some of the challenges they have faced or are currently facing...
    • Is Consciousness A State Of Matter, Like a Solid, ... (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • Quote: The velocity of light depends to a great extent on the medium it is travelling through. That's why it is more accurate to say the velocity of light in any given medium and that, with vacuum being the medium, is also what is usually referred to as the infamous speed of light constant. It is also the velocity at which all force derivatives are traveling. If the sun suddenly lost 300lbs, it would still take roughly eight minutes for the earth to experience any effect and longer yet to experience the reaction of other solar bodies in the vicinity. Now, special relativity isn't just any random hunch. I thusly conclude that whoever stood up to challenge it must be having some very convincing evidence on her hands that to my knowledge at least has despite its extreme significance not been widely spread in the scientific literature yet. Could you therefore please link us to the "modern research" you were referring to so we can have a look? http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html Quote: Quote: Despite being most often considered an energy wave, light has also been shown to behave like a particle with mass. That is because they are the same thing. Agreed. Quote: Quote: Light particles collide with other atoms to devastating effect. Given that there probably isn't really such a thing as solid matter if you really get down to it, "collide" in the mechanical sense may be a somewhat confusing term. However, collision as a phenomenon can be redefined to reflect what is actually going on, and it has. As far as I know, there are something like three things that can happen, partially depending on the amount of energy the light particle has: - The electromagnetic particle can pass through the atom unchanged; - It can be absorbed and a new one would be emitted with a different intensity and direction, and - It can be absorbed with no subsequent electromagnetic emission. Unless I have missed a possibility, one of these three effects must be the devastating one. Again, agreed. Newton's 'Billiard Balls' physics is now considered to be a not-good-enough explanation of what's going on. It did make some truly awesome predictions and produce some incredibly powerful technology.The model wasn't 100% right, but it was very very useful. The most devastating effect here may be the realization that Newton's physics wasn't going to explain everything in the universe ;) Quote: And finally Quote: ... we may discover that consciousness is the result of a chemical reaction occurring in the brain. We have. We know so much about it that we can manipulate it, too. Within limits, of course. After all, there is only so much we do know and there is only so much our ethics allow us to mess about with. But that's exactly how it seems to be, more and more as we keep looking. Occam's razor disposes of every additional idea we may have so long as no evidence can be provided in its favour. See below on further considerations vis a vis my cheesy TV analogy.
    • Ebola (Last post by Reacher)
    • I might be over there in 6 months or so. It's definitely a concern. I won't be in any areas directly affected right now, but in 6 months quite a bit could happen.
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Zenchi)
    • The site to this link provides horror (Lovecraft) and a broad selection of the Occult... darkbooks.org/collection/categories.html
    • a little toilet humor (Last post by RyuJin)
    • This first one is for wes and our other texans :lol: Spoiler: [attachment] This one is for our married members Spoiler: [attachment] This is for any apple/mac users Spoiler: [attachment] And for everyone that admires admiral ackbar Spoiler: [attachment]
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Creating plasma using a grape and a microwave is one of the great home science experiments. In this video Veritasium shows you how and discusses the science. For the confused, the plasma made here is the fourth state of matter, after solids, liquids and gas. It shouldn’t be confused with blood plasma, which is actually a liquid and something you probably shouldn't be experimenting with at home. That leaves the question, why grapes? As Derek and Steve note, lots of things will work, and you can have plenty of fun finding out which ones do. However, a typical large grape is about a quarter the wavelength of the microwaves your oven produces, which is the perfect size to act as an antenna. The grape needs to be cut so that the joining section heats up to the point where it vaporizes while the rest of the grape is still intact. Read more at www.iflscience.com/physics/how-make-plas...#xkuCJJWBJMVQozAA.99
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • ALS- great cause. Ice Bucket Challenge- I live in a state in the middle of a drought, as such I won't participate. Donation- I already have two medically affiliated organizations I donate to: Marfan Syndrome Research and Make-A-Wish Foundation, as such I'd rather see my money go towards these causes because I have a family dear to me that has Marfan, and I've seen what it is like for her to live a "normal" life without being able to do a lot of the things she wants to do (such as horseback riding or going to amusement parks) due to the elevated risks of heart attack at an early age. From this challenge, ALS has already made more than enough, my small donation isn't much of an impact in the grand scheme to them, but it would be towards the other two. Reading the Article: Much of the information on the organization itself is not a surprise. You need to keep people on the pay schedule, otherwise you'll loose good employees. I think I've argued this before on a discussion here at ToTJO regarding any other charity in general (more specifically Red Cross if I remember right). So it's not shocking in the least. Drugs take a long time to test- that they abandoned something 10 years in, is neither surprising or unexpected. Sometimes you need that time to determine if it works or not. I mean, heck, look at all these different lawsuit commercials popping up about various other drugs on the market. Those were years in the making also- what would have happened if they abandoned them and tried something new? We don't know, because sometimes a business wants to try and get money off of the product they've invested in- sometimes they really do believe in the product, and then later on when the lawsuits show up, well they still may end up with more bank than if they had not tried after it. Now let's talk about those alternatives. I'm very iffy to believe in alternative medicines without the appropriate backing. So I'll reserve judgement on it until I get an opportunity to research that information further.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by tzb)
    • leaves together made, we make the dividing line indistinct each nothing adding nothing leaving only space each memory plots a course: a summer day which became a leaf fated to the autumn, finally entombed within the snow we rise ephemeral as smoke a curved and coiling ring which turns inward, inward until there's nothing left.

There are 91 visitors, 9 guests and 29 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Streen, RyuJin, Jestor, ren, Connor L., Adhara, Desolous, Gisteron, Psyddhattha, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Tripp Borz, MCSH, Rickie The Grey, Whyte Horse, Gallileo Oortael, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, ladyhawksoulshine, Chadius4, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast, lnewton87.

Follow Us