Mayan Calendar Explained

Moderators: Adder, Adhara
  • Page:

Mayan Calendar Explained 06 Oct 2009 01:05 #26213

This is an intersting video I just saw.
“We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the hero's of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. And where we had though to travel outward, we shall come to the centre of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone we shall be with all the world.”

― Joseph Campbell

"...he came to see myths as the transcendental link between the human and the divine.

In cultures everywhere, he found, they were the stuff of dreams, the theatre of the imagination, the stage where gods romped. If, in modern times, myths had lost some of their hold over politics, religion and art, they remained nonetheless a powerful landmark in the personal search for meaning."

Bill Moyers, speaking of Joseph Campbell

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 11 Oct 2009 10:18 #26253

as it ends in 2012 - so does the world - according to those who haven't really thought about it or Nostradamus :D

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 11 Oct 2009 23:18 #26264

It's not likely that the world will 'stop' as time moves in a circle, not a straight line. I believe that 2012 will bring new changes, which is great. Nobody who left this world will be coming back, even though a Beatles reunion would be fantastic :laugh: .
“We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the hero's of all time have gone before us. The labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path. And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god. And where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves. And where we had though to travel outward, we shall come to the centre of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone we shall be with all the world.”

― Joseph Campbell

"...he came to see myths as the transcendental link between the human and the divine.

In cultures everywhere, he found, they were the stuff of dreams, the theatre of the imagination, the stage where gods romped. If, in modern times, myths had lost some of their hold over politics, religion and art, they remained nonetheless a powerful landmark in the personal search for meaning."

Bill Moyers, speaking of Joseph Campbell

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 12 Oct 2009 03:41 #26268

I was being sarcastic - but there are folk who believe the world will literally stop when this calendar (or we hit 2012) runs out.

The fact of the matter is we have already had 2012 under this calendar - we the gregorian system (12 months) I believe the myans had 8-10 months (the romans added a couple of new months).

See how 'time' is another humnan invention/concept :D - as species go - were quite funny really :D

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 25 Jun 2010 00:13 #31744

When thinking about the beliefs of the end of the world in 2012 I believe that it is being taken to literally. My hope and belief is that it is not the physical end but the spiritual change. I believe that the world is moving toward a new day of enlightenment. As the world gets worse and worse the is no other logical path but to the world to return to a pure state of enlightenment and that religious wars to stop as all will see that we are the same.
Rev. Robert Cannon, OCP B.Div
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of TotJO
Former Apprentices: Knight Cynthia, Knight Alexandre Orion, Knight Reliah
Current Apprentices: Archon, Naya

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 25 Jun 2010 05:59 #31749

• Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 4355
its the end of the mayan calendar...
but that doesn't means anything, we, every years trash our calendars, and find a new one to hang in the wall

maybe thats all, they need to print the new one...

its impossible to perform a perfect prediction of the future.

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 25 Jun 2010 10:52 #31751

While deployed to Iraq I was in charge of a few Third Country Nationals (yes its degrading to call them that but that is a military term), they were from India and they laugh at how people are buzzing around about 2012. They use a very similar calendar in India as the Mayans and for the Indians it is the year 2057 right now as explained at the time, so really they just ran out of stone to write on. Or they found the demise of thier own culture (which if the calendar is close the the Indian's calendar), they are far past the 2012 they predicted.
Step away from the ledge, I'm coming down....

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 01 Jul 2010 02:21 #31879

Here's how I see it. The Mayans had to stop somewhere. Every section of the calendar required a great amount of work. So it seems like a legitimate reason that they would stop more then 1500 years in the future. Or maybe something happened in their society that didn't allow them to continue. Political or otherwise. We just can't know for sure. But it's not the end of the world. That I can guarantee.

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 01 Jul 2010 03:18 #31881

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
ah but if humanity isn't careful, we could turn it into a self fulfilling prophecy....which would make the mayans right even if they simply ended the cycle at 2012...we hold the key to our destruction as well as our liberation...
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)

Re:Mayan Calendar Explained 01 Jul 2010 04:04 #31882

If you study the Mayan calendar (technically the Long Count), you'll see that it ends after a 13-baktun cycle:
1 tun = 1 year (18 months of 20 days plus 5 days given over to the birthdays of gods)
20 tuns = 1 katun
20 katuns = 1 baktun
13 baktuns = approximately 5200 years.

The Mayans viewed the numbers 13 and 20 as sacred and mystical and they believed that humanity rose and fell in cycles of 13 baktuns (5200 years). The age that we are about to enter will be the 5th (or the 6th Sun according to the later Aztecs). They also believd that the last age was affected by flood. This corresponds roughly to the deluge myths of the Bible, the Sumerians, etc etc.

So it is thought that humanity will enter a new era of harmony and peaceful co-existence and this change will start around the end of the cycle (worked out to be roughly around Dec 21st 2012) and possibly marked by natural disasters. We're already having a huge amount of tsunami, earthquakes, etc and if we were to have continued with our polluting, Earth-destructive tendencies, who know what m,ay have happened. But it may be a case of averting disaster because it was foretold (the opposite to what RyuJin was proposing) - like the Millenium Bug, would it have happened if we hadn't put so many measures in place to prevent it?

The Mayans aren't then only ones with related prophecies:

Zulu tribes tell of the return of M-sho-sho-no-no (star with a very long tail) in 2012 which turned the world upside down thousands of years ago and will again (a comet? planetary polar shift?)

The Hopi tribe tell of a forthcoming \"great purification\" before the start of the \"5th world\" and have the \"Blue Star prophecy\" about all this:
www.december-21-2012.com/hopi-blue-star-prophecy.php

The Maori believe that Rangi (the sky) and Papa (Earth) will take advantage of mankind's quarrelling and come back together with devastating consequences, agreed to be in 2010.

Aztec seers predicted a period of \"hell\" of 9 lots of 52-year cycles after the Spanish Conquest (the end of their \"heavenly\" times). This would be followed by a 25-year cycle of purification before the 6th Sun and equates to February 2012.

Grandfather Moses Shongo of the Seneca Indians foretold the same.

The Book of Daniel mentions a prophetic dream in which Daniel overheard Jesus telling an angel that \"for two thousand and three hundred evenings and mornings shall the sanctuary be trampled underfoot. Then it shall be restored to its rightful state. From the time that the continual burnt offering is taken away and the abomination that makes desolate is set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. Blessed is he who waits and comes to the thousand three hundred and thirty five days, the end of days.\" Going on the common principle that biblical prophecies refer to years as days, the \"sanctuary\" will be trampled underfoot from the invasion of the Greeks in 333BC until 2300 years later, 1967AD. Add on the blessed \"extra waiting time\" of 45 years and the End of Days is predicted to be 2012.

Then there's St. Malachy's Prophecy of the Popes (given in 1139) that states that the current Pope is to be the last; Terence McKenna's Timewave Zero, an exposition of \"novelty theory\" that states that an Omega point of everything being possible all at once will occur in 2012; the relevance of the pyramid of Kulkulcan at Chichen Itza with regard to serpent energies and a solar eclipse (occurring in 2012), etc etc etc.

So there's a lot of prophecies and theories stating that something will happen in 2012 but what? Some say disaster, others say glory. It's entirely up to you what you believe. Personally I'm hoping for a shift in awareness that means there's more people helping than destroying. It may not even be apparent until years later that 2012 was when it started to happen. So make up your own mind, but isn't it worth rallying to an idea of global harmony and humanitarian support? That's the kind of self-fulfilling prophecy that I'd like to see!

As the Maya-Aztec shaman Quetza-Sha said in 1991: \"The year 2012 is not the destruction of the planet, but is the transformation of the spirit, sexual energy, the energy of your heart and mind in all the dimensions of our existence in the solar system\".

MTFBWY
Sometimes another door doesn't need to open just because one closes.
  • Page:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's... (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: Because I can't write it. I don't have the talent. But I can help everyone see it through their own works. So, people wont believe it until they see it, or until its written by someone in order to express what they have seen, but until there is consensus, no one can write about it, but until someone writes about it, people wont see that there is a unity... Does that about cover it? :) Ive seen you write a number of things rather eloquently.... but if you dont feel that writing a book is your strength, then why force yourself to do it that way. We all have our "best" form of expression, is there a way you could use what you feel drawn to most in order to do it?
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth (Last post by jedi_roz)
    • Quote: Some absolutely wonderful responses so far guys, thanks to you all for your contributions! One thing I'd like to pick up on is how you've all examined the four functions of mythology beautifully, from the perspective of the myths' heroes. But how about as a listener/viewer? How do the myths you speak of speak to us, here in the real world, of awe and the mystery of our own being, of the shape of our universe, of our social order and the stages of our own lives? I believe the examples you've given all satisfy these criteria in the real world as well, just as the myth of Star Wars gave rise to our real world religion. Consider the old Taoist idea that things are defined by their opposite, that for example high only exists in relation to low, rich in relation to poor. In this case, what does fiction teach us about reality? I think the myth I chose resonated with me because of the traditional background I've had growing up. Skipping one simple task can really be a drastic mistake. One fence down and all the cattle are loose, get on the highway and get hit, in the process causing human death too. (that never happened to me, just and example) So understanding the responsiblity of my actions really spoke deeply with me when Kenai took off with his brothers, turned and saw the fish go slaming to the ground and he just waved his hands at it like "oh well" and left. For me its a trust thing, my parents started trusting me very young to do major tasks. Heck I was trimming horse feet at 14 years old and milking cows when I was 8. If I had not been responsible enough to do the task they never would have given me the opportunity. Sure I made mistakes, but nothing on that level. I think too that the idea of "love" is huge. We as a people spend tons of time on it. From dime store romances, to "going out" to reality TV there is always some concept of love. Even the movie series Star Wars is based on love, and that love almost crushed an entire galaxy. Quote: I think they both followed that structure because we are programmed as humans to want a hero who struggles. Its too easy to be born a billionaire playboy with a genius mind. We connect deeper with the man/woman who has everyday struggles. It resonates with us and we can identify with that hero easier than one who has always had privilege. I think the writers knew this and since this same journey progression can be found throughout history it obviously is something that we look for and enjoy to see. At this point we can almost say its instinctual. I really loved this point. The Hero's Journey is, to an extent, a mirror to the process of learning or growing, wherever we are and whatever we do. We leave our ordinary level of understanding, go and do something hard which challenges us, and return equipped with that new knowledge. You're right, that may well be why we love this pattern and structure. Thanks! Quote: I think the world “Force” allows us to connect to that universal connectivity we instinctually are searching for without putting a label on it such as Buddism. By using the word Force we allow ourselves universal neutral ground. Another beautiful point. Universality is something key to our path, as is maximising harmony in all we do. As Jedi we work to understand what we have in common with all things, all other people. I like to think that because we follow a path based on mythology (Star Wars), understanding the way mythology unites humanity and influences our understanding is vital to being Jedi. The Force is also a kind of myth, a way of understanding something which is, perhaps, outside of our immediate experience. Like you say it's a short word which means a huge number of different things, but at its root it is about mutual understanding and experience. Oneness. Thank you. :) Thanks ;)
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Ckott I think you just like rocking the boat around here. Got anything constructive to say? I enjoy a good discussion but I don't see how some of the stuff you say relates to this place? Your tangents seem self serving and entertainment for you. Got nothing better to do? I just had to get that off my chest.
    • campaign together? (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • I'm OK with light sabers and Star Wars but I'm not at peace with light sabers and religion. It's not you, it's me. When I come to peace with that I'll become a member.
    • Can mindfulness change the way you eat (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: I am vegetarian my whole live, guess I have always eaten mindfully so I think it is a part of who I am. Healthy means for me no alcohol, no smokes and no fast food.. The best diet is the diet that you persevere! When you say mindfully, do you mean in regards to the ethical considerations of eating vegetarian, or do you mean the "in the moment" experience of paying attention to the food itself? Its taste, texture, the interaction of the food and your teeth/tongue, differing flavors as you chew etc...
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: I twisted my ankle trail running yesterday, so nothing for me today. Still felt guilty. Can't feel guilty for an injury... perhaps unless you use it as an excuse for 12 months... (no that's not my knee I'm feeling guilty about!) :P
    • Article: How to Increase your Willpower (Last post by Connor L.)
    • The only problem I see for dieters is that willpower has to be: "How can I view food in healthy portions and having deliciousness as a paradigm." If a food addicted individual learns to view food as delicious fuel (both have to be developed separately), then will power will work. Until then. Most of us view it as an excuse. No amount of telling us that certain foods are "bad" will fix it because ALL food is good in some quantity. (Varying degrees of good, of course). I mean... just ask Jestor how his blood sugar is after eating all those cookies! If he limits himself to one every other day, then I bet it's fantastic, and delicious. ;)
    • Astrology and Horroscopes (Last post by Akkarin)
    • I am someone who tends to stick with the pervading scientific opinion on matters. The scientific opinion on Astrology and Horoscopes are that they are absolutely unscientific nonsense. They work by being vague enough that circumstances will always meet them when you interpret the situation loosely. Consider that if astrology and horoscopes really did work surely someone would have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Afterall these practices have been around for an incredibly long time, and they are performed by many many people. Surely one of those people would have proven that they work in a scientifically controlled environment. If they have not been proven to make accurate and reliable predictions then the only conclusion one can draw is that they do not produce accurate or reliable predictions. They leave enough ambiguity in their predictions to seem as though they work most of the time while relying on people's confirmation bias to seem as though they are more accurate than they really are. "Confirmation bias" is the tendency for people to remember only the things that meet their expectations while forgetting or underestimating the amount of times something does not meet their expectations. Don't forget also that every prediction that's ambiguous enough can be shown to be right metaphorically or when interpreted to a great enough extent.
    • American Jedi (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: LOL wow I love when knights and ranked members of communities take shots at me but complain when i do it to them. I hope you enjoy the video and if you want to speak your mind about me one way or the other we can set that up on my radio show whenever you like. My poke at you was intended in good humor. :)
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Physicists Achieve Quantum Teleportation of Photon Over 25 Kilometers For the first time, a team of physicists have successfully teleported a quantum state of a photon to a crystal over 25 kilometers away through a fiber optic cable. This effectively showed that the photon’s quantum state, not its composition, is important to the teleportation process. The team was led by Nicolas Gisin of the University of Geneva and the results were published in the journal Nature Photonics. With this new paper, Gisin’s team has successfully squashed the previous record they set a decade ago by teleporting a quantum state of a proton 6 kilometers. The quantum state of the photon is able to preserve information under extreme conditions, including the difference between traveling as light or becoming stored in the crystal like matter. The photon’s state acts as information that can be teleported along great distances using the optical fiber, and can be stored within the crystal. This was achieved due to a phenomenon in quantum mechanics known as entanglement, where two particles have a correlation, despite the fact that they aren’t touching and transmitting information to one another. To test this and ensure what they were observing was actually happening, one photon was stored in a crystal while the other was sent along optical fiber, over a distance of 25 kilometers. The photon that was sent along the optical fiber collides with a third photon, which was assumed to destroy them both. However, the information from the first photon was transferred to the third photon in the collision, like the transfer of energy when one billiard ball hits another. The information from the third photon came back to the crystal where it could be measured to ensure the information was preserved between the first and the second. The photon did not physically “teleport” as we are used to hearing about in science fiction, where someone’s body can moved from place to place in a matter of seconds. Instead, the information contained on the now-distant photon can be inferred based on what is seen with the information in the photon in the crystal. By knowing one, you already know the other. However, what the information actually is can't be known until it is examined. Félix Bussières of Gisin’s team explained in a press release that it appears "that the quantum state of the two elements of light, these two entangled photons which are like two Siamese twins, is a channel that empowers the teleportation from light into matter.” Regardless if the information was in crystal or light, there wasn’t a change to the information itself. This could very well mean that the quantum state, not physical state, rules in quantum physics. Quantum entanglement is the basis for theoretical quantum computing and quantum communication, though it will be a very long time before these results will have real-world implications. The achievements of Gisin's lab could also improve how quantum entanglement interactions are measured. www.iflscience.com/physics/physicists-ac...n-over-25-kilometers

There are 429 visitors, 8 guests and 31 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, jedi_roz, Lightstrider, Adder, Learn_To_Know, Darren, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, E-3_4L_Teeter, Talariq, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, tzb, aworldwithoutdanger, Venator Mortis, jadedbehan, Jamie Stick, Cabur Senaar, TambelSadera, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Jeffery Williams, Quae-Do Lumen, Sabel, Sonura, Oneiros, Benny420.

Follow Us