Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Windows 10 (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 the other day. As soon as I log in the desktop just keeps reloading over and over again. I can't do anything unless I go into safe mode. I tried deleting the graphics drivers and redownloading them, tried disable anything that loaded on startup, and now I'm at a loss. Anyone got any ideas before I give up and go back to 8.1? If you somehow manage to do this: run msconfig, go to running services, hide Microsoft services, then mark all others and disable them. Once you apply, it'll tell you to reboot - do that and things should be back to normal. In my case, an older version of Google Chrome was the culprit - that one runs some kind of auto-update background task which wasn't compatible within windows 10. After the reboot I removed chrome - I find Edge better anyway
    • Why should we have "fear of God"? (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: Quote: Why are they saying that you should fear God? Isn't the idea that God is just and kind and compassionate? Why have a religion based entirely around fear? The etymology of the word means to frighten or terrify, but also means to revere, or regard with awe. It's one of those situations where English speakers use an archaic phrase where a portion's meaning has changed over time. It's not actual, literal fear, it's respect. I agree with that as far as the English language goes. However, the same isn't true for other languages. In German, the word 'fürchten' - als in 'fürchte Gott' very much means means 'fear' as in 'fear of the dark'. In this sense, 'fürchte Gott' has been taught in church as 'fear the wrath of God' - e.g. if you don't stick to the 10 commandments, are gay, masturbate and other things the various denominations tend to frown upon to varying degrees. This constant threat of punishment was one of the main reasons that initially drove me away from the Christian belief system. Heaven and Hell, Jesus and the Devil, God smiting those who don't do as he commands, the sins of the father extending to seven generations, people who defy God getting their loved ones in trouble first and then themselves etc. Of course, there are many examples of God's benevolence and mercy as well. Overall, I just have the feeling that large part of Abrahamic scripture is based on whipping people into becoming whatever 'Menschenbild' (idea of the ideal man) the person / organization who wrote and / or translated envisioned. Now I'm not an expert in archaic languages - I do know some Latin from school, but even Latin versions of the Bible are only translations. That translations of the Bible (or of anything else) are always interpretations is somewhat problematic as not all denominations use the same translations. Sorry if this sounds cynical, but the issue struck a nerve as I've just recently had to endure a sermon where God's punishment of those who don't obey was the main topic. Incidentally, that was the christening ceremony of our daughter.
    • Irritated by an individual, and changing my perspe... (Last post by Keladry)
    • One thing I wanted to mention about your roommate she may not be constantly "banging doors, cupboards, running up and down the stairs and in general being loud on purpose" I have dyspraxia, when I get up from the couch, open doors and cupboards I am pretty loud it's not on purpose it's my complete lack of coordination. I don't run up stairs though this is a bad idea and means I would be likely to fall down the stairs. There are other issues that could have similar results as well.
    • What is TTIP and why should we be angry about it? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i hate to be doom and gloom but things are not going to get better - theyve been getting progressively worse for decades and the trend is not slowing in pace or in scope there really is what amounts to an "evil empire" and it really is taking over and it really is very, very bad
    • Today I.... (Last post by RyuJin)
    • today i donated food to a homeless charity, even though i needed the money for supplies to fix my car
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Akkarin)
    • This slipped by but has now been updated properly: Rosalyn J is Secretary for the Clergy. Cabur Senaar is Secretary for the Synod. www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheClergy www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheSynod And here: www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/c...n/2154-synod-charter
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each FOCUS "High in the Himalayan mountains, lived a wise old man. Periodically, he ventured down into the local village to entertain the villagers with his special knowledge and talents. One of his skills was to "psychically" tell the villagers the contents in their pockets, boxes, or minds. A few young boys from the village decided to play a joke on the wise old man and discredit his special abilities. One boy came up with the idea to capture a bird and hide it in his hands. He knew of course, the wise old man would know the object in his hands was a bird. The boy devised a plan. Knowing the wise old man would correctly state the object in his hands was a bird, the boy would ask the old man if the bird was dead or alive. If the wise man said the bird was alive, the boy would crush the bird in his hands, so that when he opened his hands the bird would be dead; if the wise man said the bird was dead, the boy would open his hands and let the bird fly free. So not matter what the old man said, the boy would prove the old man a fraud. The following week, the wise old man came down from the mountain into the village. The boy quickly caught a bird and cupping it out of sight in his hands, walked up to the wise old man and asked, " Old man, old man, what is it that I have in my hands?" The wise old man said, "You have a bird." and he was right. The boy then asked, "Old man, old man tell me, is the bird alive or is it dead?" The wise old man looked at the boy and said, "The bird is as you choose it." And so it is with your life."
    • Logic Puzzles (Last post by Akkarin)
    • embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/scienc...uzzle-question-video (Includes solution to first puzzle) Area maze: Answers are never fractions, the only equation you need is: Area of rectangle = width x height Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image]
    • How to speak so that people want to listen (Last post by Akkarin)
    • www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to...o_listen?language=en Don't: Seven deadly sins of speaking Gossip, don't talk ill of people Judging, it's hard to listen if you know you're being judged Negativity Complaining, it's viral misery Excuses Penultimate, exaggeration and lying Dogmatism, the confusion of facts with opinions Do: HAIL Honesty, stand in your own truth Authenticity, be yourself Integrity, be your word Love, wish others well Consider: Register - deeper voices are listened to more and have more weight Timbre - people prefer rich/smooth/warm voices Prosody - the metalanguage used to impart meaning, don't be monotonous, don't end sentences like they're questions Pace - don't say things too quickly, take things slower rather than faster, use silence Pitch - Try adjusting your pitch for emphasis Volume - Adjusting your volume for emphasis, don't "sod-cast" loudly imposing your sound all the time
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • I don't feel I can openly rant about what I want to rant about. So I'm going to rant that I can't rant about it. :angry:

There are 945 visitors, 10 guests and 30 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Proteus, V-Tog, Xaii, Alexandre Orion, Kamizu, Cyrith, Edan, Avalonslight, SeventhSL, Dessel761, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, den385, Krieger, Protonix, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, WRRPhoto, Edgar0566, Whotalen, Kenji, yeltneb, Mikhael, DanielJ, RikJWolfrik.

Follow Us