Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Well done, feminism. Now men are afraid to help wo... (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Quote: Citations that these are actual feminist issues and not just intersectional issues that feminists generally also agree are problems? Andrea Dworkin (if you are familiar with the name Dworkin, then you should know she's regarded as one the most hateful feminists to have ever written, yet still she was never about hating men) Judith Butler (obtusely academic, but largely concerned with patriarchal and gender roles and how those have negatively impacted men in society. I would say Undoing Gender is primary source of her work for discussing how men and women are affect by patrarichy) Any of the authors in Men Doing Feminism. Butler covers the issues of gender roles and the ethics of circumcision, many of the authors in Men Doing Feminism cover all four issues I mentioned, and Dworkin has a speech which may be illuminating (because of the filtering system on my network, I am not sure that that is the full speech, but when I Googled it this was the most promising search result).
    • Justice in the Force (Last post by Tellahane)
    • Having dealt with much of the same similar things I pretty much agree with all of the replies up here as well, the force having no intent at all being the biggest point. Some time ago I gave up on karma. For me, and this is only my personal opinion, karma is a trap. Karma is an easy way to hope that both justice and reward will eventually come for those that work hard or hardly work. It falls into the same category for me as prayer and social media sharing(ie like/share this post to give wishes to someone to get better and it will happen posts). In my experience you can either pray for someone, hope for them, send them best wishes. Or you can get off your *** and do it. Which one is more likely going to get them the help they need. If everyone who prayed for something got up and went out and actually did something for someone, the world would be such a far better place, and we would all be exhausted at the same time, but we would all be sleeping better at night. I've been doing that this last year or so, if someone needs help, and I can somehow fit it into my schedule I do it. Sometimes thats working extra hours as an EMT, sometimes thats helping someone move furniture that can't do it themselves(fault of owning a truck for anyone really). Sometimes thats just being on the phone and listening to someone vent. Someone once asked me, if I make $50/hr doing tech support, why do I spend 12 hours a day sometimes 36-48hrs a week being an emt for only $11/hr. I turn around and I tell them would you be an emt? Most of the time they say no way, blood, sickness, death and for so little pay absolutely not. My response is thats why. I don't do it for the money, I do it because I can, I do it because its needed. Granted things like cancer, depression, there's treatments, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there isn't a way out for certain individuals, despite my personal views of the subjects. My thoughts are it's not as important as to figuring out why/how they came to be, It's happened, its there. What's important is what you do next, how you will choose to deal with it, and how you will choose to live the life you have, and what you will do not just for yourselves but for your impact on the world, even if its only to the scale of the tiny environment around you. I don't know about your scenario in any details and everyone's results and choices are different. But for the sake of perhaps providing some guidance, MY choice was to make positive impacts in lives to those that need it. Even if they don't know it was me. Karma never came around for me, I make karma for someone else. Perhaps that is the true nature of karma.
    • On War & Religion (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • genetics does not in any way provide one with a sense that their life or any life has value beyond the immediately obvious, the immediate impulse - as a purely genetic being i may value my own life in the sense that i dont want to feel pain, and i dont want to die, and i may value a mate because i like sex - and i may value association with others because we get more wooly mammoth by working together, and because Urggh tells really funny dirty cave woman jokes and that entertains me, but once we begin to associate a deeper significance to ourselves than pain and sex and food and general entertainment we are entering into the realm of the religious - by definition - and this is where morality becomes JUSTIFIED religion is the exploration of the ULTIMATE - ultimate reality, ultimate truth, ones ultimate journey as a soul or spiritual being when we say "my life is valuable because i am intrinsically valuable" we have to justify this - and religion is the original source of this justification you say that we dont need religion to tell us that its wrong to burn down a dozen villages - but i say that this is exactly what we need - or what we needED, and that until religion came along and told us that it was wrong, it wasnt wrong! now that religion has informed us that there is a better way, we have the luxury of saying religion is pointless but it was religious thought that developed human kinds first sense of morality, becauase it was religious thought which first asserted that human life has value beyond the immediate sense of pain and pleasure and delay of death and ultimately it is religious thought which justifies any morality, because once you assert that there is value in life, beyond what we (or the subjective I) PREFER in the moment, you enter, by definition, the realm of the religious if you dont agree then please, lets establish exactly WHY it is wrong to burn down a dozen villages If it benefits me, if it simply entertains me, and i can get away with it, and my life is just as good after burning these village as it was before, maybe even better because the villages smelled bad and they played their music too loud, why shouldnt i do it? what is WRONG about it?
    • Guns in America (Last post by Doogle)
    • "What the media reports and what is fact are two different things" - messed up the quote feature So you are saying that those people weren't mentally ill? The guns they hade just made them feel like such a red blooded American they had to go out and shoot other Americans? It is obvious you are trying to avoid the point that the root cause of these shootings are not guns. The root cause is obviously the mental health of the person in question. There was a man in China who tried to go on a mass killing spree with knives should we outlaw those too? If they didn't have guns they'd make a bomb or something. The focus of efforts and legislation should be on responsible not limited gun use and a better idea of how to help mentally unstable people in this country.
    • Your Inner Council: What is it and how to develop ... (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • This is a great thread - and I like your list! Here are my current 7, in no particular order: George Fox - for original thought and steadfastness in the face of oppression Obi Wan Kenobi - just because . . . Bjorn Lomborg - for effective environmentalism, no matter how unfashionable ( Lao Tzu - for wisdom Thomas Young - the definitive polymath provides inspiration that everything is interesting Valentino Rossi - for bravery, technical acumen, persistence and sense of humour Edgar Mitchell - for pursuing his interests and beliefs in the face of opposition (
    • SW Force Awakens books (Last post by Br. John)
    • I have this one. Aftermath: Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens It starts immediately with the end of Return of the Jedi but only covers a short time period - not near the thirty years that have passed. I understand that time period (between VI and VII) will be filled in with more books. There's going to be a single episode comic that tells why C3PO Spoiler: has one red arm now. [attachment]
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I'm working so hard with so little result... This is slow. Slow is a good teacher, though... I must remember that.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by elizabeth)
    • If you cut enough times with words do you imagine I will feel your pain? Will the guilt for being a cause of your turmoil close the distance between us? Will it change how I feel? Give me a new perspective? No. It raises defenses and rages, burns out all that was ever there. It furthers the distance until I no longer see. Clouds the reality Destroy everything and when its spent nothing has changed. Except.. Except I no longer wish to try, I have no empathy because, my love Words are hollow and meaningless and like the weapons you choose to wield them as, Sadness and love are passing storms and they destroy not build.
    • UN says Afghan hospital bombing may be war crime (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • One article I read suggested that the location in question was being used by the Taliban as a sort of staging ground / home base / etc for the region, with it being Afghani officials being the ones to say that. [ source ] So let's say that the airstrikes were based on that information. It wouldn't be the first time the Taliban has used an otherwise normally "don't strike" building as a base of operations. They've used mosques and other religious buildings, schools, hospitals, etc in the past. They'll very likely use such "no strike list" buildings in the future. What I want to know is if this is a war crime, then why isn't someone investigating the Russian military for their sudden escalation and airstrikes against Syrian land targets? Is it because they're reportedly just against terrorist training camps? Because if that's the case, then people should be aware that there are just as many civilian and non-combatant individuals in those locations as there were in that Afghani hospital, in the form of hostages, sex slaves, women, children, infants, and the elderly.... What if ISIS were using a hospital as a base, and then Russia conducted an airstrike against that hospital? Would there be the same outrage? Collateral damage, which is the term you're looking for here, happens in every conflict. Innocents are killed; buildings are struck that shouldn't have been struck. And it sucks! The problem is, whatever justification the US military used to decide that an airstrike was the best way to deal with the reported threat, will very likely remain classified past any investigation the Pentagon or UN or NATO or whatever organization you want to name happens to conduct. What information did US officials use? Afghani intelligence? Our own boots on the ground? Local reports? Satellite imagery? What if the information regarding the Taliban being there was wrong? What if it was right? When does the military have the obligation to stand back and allow known militant groups to use what is supposed to a safe haven as a base of operations for spreading their terror and discord? When should they step in? How should they step in? Should they have sent a special forces team in instead of dropping a bomb? Should they have tried to draw these supposed militants out onto the streets? Or should they have ignored it and just let things go as they were supposedly going? When do you decide the pros outweigh the cons? Because quite frankly, I'm not certain anyone is ever going to be able to fully, ethically/morally decide "yes it's ok to strike this location" or "no it's not ok to strike this location", in any form... be it on the ground or from the air. Because there's always going to be some kind of civilian casualty... And to clarify, I am neither condoning nor condemning the actions that were taken... Because honestly, I don't have the intel to understand the reasoning behind it. I'm just presenting a bare basic example of the many levels of consideration that had to be made in order for a strike to even be ordered in the first place.
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Competent)
    • "After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Cato The Elder
    • The nature of entertainment media (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: Quote: I used to be a metalhead. I still listen to a lot of metal, I just don't identify with the subculture. I was really into black metal, but I got tired of it after I became a Christian, because I didn't feel like listening to a genre that is at least 75% dedicated to bashing Christianity. I don't like the metal culture, either. It advocates a self-destructive lifestyle. I know what you mean, part of my problem was that I wanted to belong to a community, I like a lot of metal, and so tried to fit into the subculture, as it's supposedly the place for the misfits. But while I love some metal, the culture is simply not who I am. This is one reason I puled away from the music for a while: I had completely oversaturated myself to the point of spiritual exhaustion. I do like me some indie pop and folk music, yknow? Quote: As for the video games: I don't mean to be pushy or preachy, but I have nothing good to say about them. I decided at the beginning of my adult life to live without video games, TV, and films, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. My advice to you would be to throw out all your games, but I can understand if you see that as unreasonable. To tell the truth, in the past I have done exactly that, thrown out all my games. Unfortunately with nothing to fall back on it left a vacuum in my life and never lasted for long. I don't see anything inherently wrong with the medium, or film for that matter; just as with music, one needs to simply be selective. I like films and games that show me life from a perspective I might not ordinarily have, to help me gain a better insight of universal truths. Believe it or not, there are more games out there with deep philosophical, emotional, and moral themes than you might imagine. ;) Philo Farnsworth, the dude who invented TV, always thought that his invention was at best useless and at worst harmful. When he saw the moon landing, he was relieved, as he felt that his invention was validated, and had been used as a force for good, at least in that one instance. That being said, there is one singular game that I have concluded is video gaming's "moon landing." Otherwise, I have a uniformly negative view on gaming (though I despise film the most). I won't name it publicly here. I am writing a longass treatise on the game currently. It is a project I have been planning for since 2009. I may or may not make it available here once it is done.
    • Digital Temple (Last post by Whyte Horse)
    • Quote: Thanks for the support, Whyte Horse! One thing I forgot to mention is that the game does support voice-over chat. You just need a mic. Ok, it took me a few days but I got it downloaded. Now we'll see if it works under wine ;)

There are 699 visitors, 16 guests and 47 members online (2  in chat): Garm, Sirius, Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Kitsu Tails, Connor L., Darren, Gisteron, Luthien, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Joey, Metsu Desal, Khaos, Brenna, Kamizu, JohnsonMD, Edan, tzb, Jamie Stick, Cabur Senaar, Cristris_Jons, Goken, Aqua, GalUnDrux, Slebo, ThorlakurThor, den385, MrBruno, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, asteropos, Tellahane, TheToonMerc, NavonSavir, Mikhael, SilentTiger32, Morkhen, Tymmy, mikul, flowerfie, Mael, Ke JinnDakken, Doogle, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, Raven Crest, Gibby9001.

Follow Us