Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Your Inner Council: What is it and how to develop ... (Last post by Proteus)
    • In times of tough personal decisions, I find myself inspired by the character of Captain Picard of Star Trek TNG. In times of passion, Brandon Lee (RIP). In times when tact and calm is important, Ip Man. In times when keen motivation, prompt action and quick thinking is required, Jason Bourne. In times of playfulness, Jim Carrey In times of wonder, the character Edward Magorium. There have been other inspirations, and may change through time.
    • Guns in America (Last post by Goken)
    • One thing that I find interesting is that the media no longer seems to distinguish between a mass shooting and a murder in a public place or a fight between two groups where multiple people get shot. Obviously it's still gun violence and it's still bad, but if we're discussing the "current trend" of mass shootings then we need to be clear on what makes a mass shooting a mass shooting. There was a shooting today in the parking lot of an Arizona college dorm and it's being branded as another "school shooting." If you read into it at all though you find out that there were two groups of students that got into an altercation in the parking lot of a dorm hall at 1:30 am and one of them pulled a gun. One person is dead and three are injured. This is terrible and tragic yes, but it is not the same as a "school shooting" where a person walks into a school in session with the sole purpose of killing multiple people. This was a fight that got out of hand and just happened to be on school owned property.
    • UN says Afghan hospital bombing may be war crime (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Quote: I'm not sure I agree all criminal acts require intent... Manslaughter is a crime but covers killing another by accident. You are indeed correct. I should have said most or the bulk of. However in this case its still not a war crime. War crimes are willful violations of human rights and various convetionary rules. This case sounds like bad targeting data or bad intel.
    • Joe's simple RPG (Last post by Joe)
    • Hey. This is a simple RPG I created with help from many people as well from Totjo as from my other friends. It is not yet finished, and still in pre-alpha. If you want, feel free to create your own characters, if you want to. If the system works, I will probably do spontaneous sessions you can partake in in chat. IF i'm there, that is. Now. The setting is medieval fantasy. Similar to DnD, lotr, etc. To start, you will need to put your 40 starting stat points into the four basic stats. The higher, the better. The starting value of the stats must be between 6 and 14, those numbers included. The Stats are: Strength (S) Dexterity (D) Charisma (C) Mind (M) Now, chose one of the five races and add their stat modifiers to your own (this can cause you to exceed the maximum value for your starting stats, which is allowed): Human: no change. Elf: -2 Str +1Cha +1Dex. Dwarf: +2 Str -1Cha -1Dex. Orc: +3 Str -1Cha -2Cle. Lizard(wo)man: +2Dex +1Cle -2Str -1Cha From these new stats you can derive the rest of your characters stats: Hitpoints (HP): S+S+D Karma (KP): C+C+M Mana (MP): M+M+C Attack-base (AT): (S+S+D)/3 Defense-Base (DE): (S+D+M)/3 Ranged Attack-base (RA): (D+D+S)/3 Initiative base (IN) D+D+C Okay, so what do these stats do? At some points during the game, you will have to roll on one or more of those stats. To roll on a stat, you roll a d20, (/roll 1d20) and check if the roll is lower or equal to your characters stat. If so, your roll was a success. All those rolls can be modified by either decision of the Dungeon Master (DM) / Me, or by certain skills and abilities. Now, give your character a name. Done. What? no classes?! Correct. Classes will be unlocked by leveling your character. To do that, you must collect experience points (XP). The classes (and their main attribute) that will be coming soon are: Mage (M) Priest (C) Warrior (S) Rogue (D) For now, all heroes are class-less, and start with rags, 10 gold pieces, and a rusty dagger that does 1D6-2 damage. Now, for the lore so far: The world you live in is called Torgon. Torgon is a large continent, mainly inhabited by the four surface-dwelling races, the humans in the west, the elves in the east, the orcs in the north, and the lizardmen in the south. The orcs are at war with the elves, and humans are being xenophobic against the lizardmen from the south. The elves and lizardmen are at peace, and there are tensions between the elves and humans, because despite a long-lasting peace between the two peoples, the humans refuse to give any aid to the elves in their war against the invading orcs from the north. Below that, in an endless, and seemingly all encompassing network of tunnels, live the dwarves, the oldest race of Torgon. If you want in, post your character sheet down here. If you want to ask any questions, send me a PM or look for me in chat. If you want to give feedback, please contact me as well. Things that are still in planning: -All classes -Abilities that cost mana/karma -leveling system -Talent system (maybe) -Inventory system -Combat system (Practically done, must be tested)
    • If people of all religions can be saved, why do we... (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote: If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?'' My experience has been that various scriptures from around the world are not intended to be presented as A truth, but as THE truth. Many religions promise some manner of salvation, but they stipulate that their own path is the only one that works. The question looks like it has been written from the perspective of a comparative religion student. It implies that all paths work. It suggests that all people of all religions can be saved. Why then would any particular path be necessary if any one of them will do the job? Except that, from the perspective of most any particular religion, their and only their path leads to salvation. You will often find individual practitioners that will allow for multiple paths to salvation, but I cannot think of a religious scripture that allowed for that. If someone knows of one, I'd be interested in giving it a read. The assumptions don't coincide. Thus the confusion. Just to throw my own hat into the ring, I'm not really interetsed in being saved. Beyond the immediate dangers of speeding cars, I see nothing from which I need be saved. Because, if the paths are true, all religions could be a perspective of god. Different cultures would develop different ways to understand the perspectives of religion? So it would be necessary for god to create different religions to give cultures a way to understand the path to be saved at their own level of understanding? A comparative religion student would say that religion is created by people, not by a God. It is a social system. And there are people who would agree with you statement of different messages for different people. But no religous text says so. The basic premises of the question don't line up. A person standing on the outside of a given religion, or religions in general, operates on a different set of assumptions than a person squarely within a particular religion. If religion is a social system, then why is it that some religions claim to be created by god? Just as they thank god for their own actions? I find it hard to understand.
    • How do you meditate? (Last post by Hyrum Tigerprice)
    • Been keeping a regular pattern lately with a basic technique under direction of a master. It has been some time since I have trained in a dojo or gym and I would like to get back to it. The main thing for me lately is doing it at least twice daily. I don't have to create the Mona Lisa or anything equivalent to David. Starting is about the major part of it. Then breathing. It is one of the most enjoyable things I have been doing in my day for some time. Keeping it simple. Otherwise, along with above - I get a lot of peace from playing 6 strings too. The music industry doesn't keep me away from energy vampires though. :unsure:
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Oh how I hate the mall ninja and the liar. I cant stand when someone tries to pass off falsehood as if people are incapable of checking your bunk and calling you on it. Not once but TWICE this past week and a half people think they can pull the wool over the eyes of the uninitiated public. The only issue is that some of us have a wide scope of study and know that you are spreading falsehood in the name of getting attention. Its only by the fact that I am trying to let things go more often that I've not called them on it.
    • mind over matter (Last post by Zhaerys)
    • This is where meditation comes in, as well as the idea of practice. meditation allows you to control your mind and thoughts, meditating ( at-least closing your eyes and breath control for 2-3 minutes) before a test or event greatly helps with the nervousness. Practice is what we also fail to do, the more you apply yourself and do, the more you can do, .. a simple example is physics and my math homework, I have never done this before but do have a great interest in it. Its so making me angry right now but as i keep practicing and going over and over, I find myself do so much better. In our studies of the force, I believe what you put in into it and what you want it to do is up to you, mind over matter is up to the user in a way.
    • On War & Religion (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: i dont see any reason to believe that morality developed separate from religion - theres no evidence to suggest it that i know of Well, in this case let me inform you that a number of animals living today (and one can reasonably expect it being similar in the past, with animals of comparable social capacities) do have a morality. This is a claim I make, and while I am no zoologist, I am willing and able to cite sources. Thus, I present to thee, monkeys that understand the concept of fairness and value: And here is a link to the research paper, just so nobody thinks I'm citing YouTube as a source: If, as you say, it was not until the dawn of religion that hominini developed a sense of morality, we should expect to see other animal clades with any so rudimentary grasp of morality to have a rudimentary type of religion to account for that also. Since morality is a frequent result of and condition for social behaviour and can be sufficiently explained and accounted for as such, if you wish to maintain that morality in its beginnings requires religion, it remains to demonstrate that in every instance where morality can be observed, religion - past or present - is observable also. Go ahead.
    • Duty sword advice (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: I'd recommend you get a body camera and take lessons on how to disarm someone. This whole fictional terrorism threat is creating mass delusion and paranoia. Don't add to the police state by becoming a corporate security tyrant. I haven't stepped foot in a mall for over a decade but you're more likely to encounter a teenage gangster wannabe with a knife than a terrorist. [video] By "terror," we mean organized gang activity, though we don't rule out having to deal with Jihadists. We once had a suspicious group of Chechens that we dealt with without causing any alarm. Also, the kids of today are not the kids of yesterday. Kids don't carry chromed .25 auto pistols and flea market switchblades anymore. I've confiscated several sawed-down semi-auto shotguns hidden inside backpacks, a full-auto Ruger 10/22, an endless list of high-capacity semi-auto pistols, a couple Desert Eagles, and even a sawed-down .50 Barrett. Not to mention all the weirdo left-wing kids who do half-assed terrorist acts to be cool. Terrorism is hyped up in the media, but not fictional in the least. I am not contributing to the "police state" in any way. The mall is a private business, and the owners have the right to use whatever security measures they want, just as a US citizen has the right to own a weapon to defend their home or business.
    • Jedi Community Page (Last post by Connor L.)
    • There is a Halloween Party scheduled for Oct. 31 with the Chicago Jedi. The Indy Jedi are heading up. :)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 3 x 5 Front squat 3 x 5 Overhead press 1 x 5 Deadlift For time: 30 185-lb Deadlifts 45 Sumo-deadlift High-pulls (basically an upright row that starts in the deadlift position) 4 Overhead squats (naked bar; could not do more since my shoulders wouldn't hold out for all 30 Rx'd. Still working on my shoulder mobility.) [7:39.9] 30 Leg lifts Edit: Song that helped me power through some of the rougher parts of this was The Dark Templar Symphony by BERSERKYD (see below) Spoiler:

There are 606 visitors, 15 guests and 47 members online (3  in chat): Sirius, Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jon, Streen, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Trose , Proteus, Luthien, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Metsu Desal, Stas Kimbo, Archon, Kamizu, Vincente, bryanlyle, Jazz, Cabur Senaar, Goken, focone oceanlast, Slebo, den385, MrBruno, EthanLoveridge123, Seda Arksmen, CryojenX, Tellahane, Corsair Gorscue, Jamho Thaber, TheToonMerc, Morkhen, Golan Wilder, jonathangomez549, LylaGrrl, obiwankenokie, Ke JinnDakken, MadHatter, Raven Crest, Freerangegeek, Juice0123, Uberbeam, Lane22, Calebrules23, Pèlerin.

Follow Us