Tai chi chuan for begginers

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200268 by
Replied by on topic Tai chi chuan for begginers
But how do you know you've mastered it? What if you went to somebody who knows it and they were like: "you've learned this all wrong!" ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #200269 by
In fact I think that this is doing well for me, great, this path I will follow. I have the same problem with Buddhism; if I could not learn in books or videos, so I do not know almost nothing but still looking for a teacher who can help me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201452 by
Replied by on topic Re:Tai chi chuan for begginers
Thank you very much for this link.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201497 by

Connor L. wrote: But how do you know you've mastered it? What if you went to somebody who knows it and they were like: "you've learned this all wrong!" ?

Unfortunately I think I run the risk of learning some things wrong, but the search for a good teacher continues. Unfortunately many things here in Brazil are limited and if not for this material or many others that we have here in the temple, maybe I had not already learned much of what I learned and made a difference in my life. The difference is that here I am counting on good teachers. :lol:

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #201522 by OB1Shinobi
its pretty much impossible as a beginner to know if youre doing something wrong without feedback from someone who can tell you

you wont know youve mastered it
not by the standards of those who practice it formally
so i think the first understanding a solo practitioner needs is that everything is up for review at any time

that being said
i think that anyone who has excitement to learn and especially the willingness to do the work of learning should go ahead and do it even if you dont have access to a teacher
the benefits of learning on ones own initiative are ALMOST always are far greater than the non benefits of not learning on ones lack of initiative

so, GO FOR IT

there are tons of reference sources online to learn from - this is a bit of a quagmire for someone new to any field because again you wont have the experience to identify right from wrong right away

master wong, the guy in this video, is OK

he isnt great
he isnt bad

i have seen him BS his way through conversations in other videos and that is always a flag to me, but he is a source and sources should be explored

i dont mean to be critical towards the OP
i am sharing my observation because i think its important

he does these "wing chun in real fights / wing chun vs mma / wing chun vs boxer" ect ect and ive seen quite a few of his vids

i think he is a legit source to learn from, all things considered, but i also think that in the absence of one really good teacher your best bet is to scour the internet for as much content as possible and do your best to sift through the lessers until you find the ones of the best quality and most appropriately suited for you

heres a few more vids to check out as you feel like it, and hopefully these may lead to others and so on and so on

i wish you the best in your growth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35AxiihzD4M

(thanks to YOU WHO POSTED THIS in the JEDI WARRIOR thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDsXbMTBd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4w_62WX9Rk&list=PLrlqhq0d1qB_NOaedTR4hxIuQ4sbWr0lB

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #201539 by
A relatively good documentary on Tai Chi as a martial discipline, although it suffers the flaws of all such travel dairy type martial arts documentaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4rrFkhCqQ

Do not expect too much in the way of technical learning, but it might open one's eyes up to more possibilities, and general principles.

As a resource on Tai Chi Chuan; I have found the work of the late Joanna Zorya invaluable; http://www.martialtaichi.co.uk/index.html

One can also find information on the disciplines of Baguazhang & Xingyiquan, which are excellent arts for developing a strong foundation for advanced Tai Chi combat principles.

As an exercise alone, I favour simplifies Yang-style, as it is hard to go wrong with it compared to the more traditional styles and their longer forms.

What I would say of video training, or potentially getting things wrong; every step on a path is a potential misstep, but every journey starts with a single step. Better to be making the journey, and learning, even against adversity, than it is to have never tried. Yes, finding a teacher would be best, but kudos for training, and making the effort, and good luck.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249138 by
The video of Taiji is an example in point there are some fundimental errors in following taiji first principles,
if you follow the classic chinese medical model then these errors will lead to blocked qi at best
the western medical model will lead to knee pain and patela misalinement long term painfull knees are not muck fun and the replacements are not that good .

More
7 years 8 months ago #249172 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Tai chi chuan for begginers

shifu wrote: The video of Taiji is an example in point there are some fundimental errors in following taiji first principles,
if you follow the classic chinese medical model then these errors will lead to blocked qi at best
the western medical model will lead to knee pain and patela misalinement long term painfull knees are not muck fun and the replacements are not that good .

Yes, there is not much focus on breath and no rounding of the back, and the knees are overextended at some points and at awkward angles for much of the video. But there are tons of different styles of Tai Chi Chuan (even within Yang style) and many traditional Chinese teachers do teach it this way, including some who are very devout in their study and practice of traditional Chinese medicine. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249193 by
That's actually a really good video to learn from. It's what i used/ing to learn from

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi