The Hero's Adventure -

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #51375 by
The Hero's Adventure - was created by
I may being looking to much into this, but I seem to want to dissect every little detail of something. In this case I was fine until I got to the point in the audio lesson where consciousnesses and unconsciousness were discussed.

Here is some of the data I collected on this topic and as you may find, he seems to contradict himself:

Unconsciousness-> (Jonah and the Whale example) has to be controlled by consciousness.

Consciousness-> (Vader Example) Should remain a secondary organ; must not put it self in control.

*It seems as if unconsciousness must be controlled with the consciousness, but consciousness must not put it self in total control.

Is he getting at the fact that there should be a balance between the two? Is that the lesson to take from that?
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 1 month ago #51377 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: The Hero's Adventure -
Yea, you are reading too much into it....

The lesson is called, "Hero's Adventure"...

What does it say about the hero?

Who is a hero, who can be?

What makes a hero?

Pretend I have never heard of Joe Campbell...

How would you explain this to me, so that i would understand, and not be bored...?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #51378 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Hero's Adventure -
Fair enough, I was taking notes and that part caused me to get a bit hung up. I see the relevant points though.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 1 month ago #51380 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: The Hero's Adventure -
Yea, life is full of balance...

Sometimes, its one way, sometimes the other....

Contradiction is definitely a big part of life...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #198334 by
Replied by on topic The Hero's Adventure -
Jestor, It has been a long while since I last read this material and since I have spoken with a few of you, but I have definitely learned a lot in the real world. I decided to pursue a double major in Math and Physics. Unfortunately, I still rely heavily on auto correct ;) , but I am quite surprised at how I previously diagnosed this one particular audio track. I am even more surprised that my mind is capable of fully remembering the experience as I read through my old post.

In retrospect, I don't think I over examined this... I get the message the man was attempting to send, but he clearly did not do an amazing job at sending that message. It is mixed. It is unclear. It is not something I would want to live my life based on. There are great points... but if the man continued on his speech and lost himself enough to actually contradict his own speech...

My intention is not to undermine this, but rather to show that there should not be one perfect viewpoint on life perspectives. I have learned quite a lot while being away and I am sure I can learn even more by coming back.. but you better believe I am going to sift through these 'words of the wise' with great focus and fully dissect the true meaning.

That is all. I hope you all are all well ;)

Cheers,
Tim

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #198337 by Alexandre Orion
Yes, actually he did do a pretty amazing job of talking about that -- to a journalist (who was also highly educated in Religious Studies) and in the time and context they had to talk about it. It is not that profound, "The Power of Myth" ... But the profundity is there : one just has to have the interest and inclination research it for oneself, not only in books, but in your own Souls.

This IS the real world, and one would be surprised at just how little the world we take for real is the real one. One trivial thing that stood out was : why would it surprise you that you rely on auto-correct if you did Maths/Physics at uni ? We tend to consider maths/physics to be the crown of intelligence whereas it is not. Not even all philosophers are great writers ; many of them were not. Do not confuse the benefits of diverse disciplines ...

Now, back to Myth : Not only is there much contradiction in Life, but the whole of it is wildly paradoxical. "It is mixed. It is unclear." Well, actually, no -- it isn't. Life itself is mixed and unclear. If one seeks homogeneity and clarity, one ends up even more 'mixed and unclear'. We cannot impose a lasting order, regardless of the promises of Science. Science (the conscious mind) is a servant, not a governor ... It is not a 'Saviour' either.

Your intention is sound : there is not one perfect viewpoint. What are you trying to look at ? We often say to people, "there are no wrong answers" when what we should be saying as well is that there are "no right ones" too. This is no one's fault and I'm not just bitching about what you've exchanged here -- but there is an essential understanding that no one has seemed to grasp for a few hundred years : symbols are not signs. We are never going to be able - neither in word nor deed - to present perfectly (so that the viewpoint is focussed) - that which a symbol re-presents to the unconscious. We will never be able to control the unconscious consciously. We can only feel it, and that is when we stop yearning for clarity of understanding with our the conscious mental faculties ...

Please, don't stop at Campbell here. Continue by Carl Jung, Mircea Eliade, Gilbert Durand, Rabindranath Tagore, Iain McGilchrist, Martha Nussbaum .... (this list could go on for a while) and they didn't get everything right either. 'Truth' is not in any book, or at the end of any 'path'. They are - or have been - just very good at exploring other viewpoints. For insomuch as one can actually 'look at' this stuff. Read poetry AND scientific journals. Hell, read scientific journals AS poetry ... Stop trying to understand the unconscious ; it would be like trying to get to Ganymede on a bicycle. Imagine it, feel it (two attributes of Man that we consider superfluous in this politico-economic scientistic wasteland we live in) and even analyse your relationship to it, but one can never adequately analyse the unconscious. Though we don't accept it, we live mostly there too ...

The belly of the whale is allegorical for only the first steps on the Hero's Adventure : the time spent in the 'water' (the unconscious) is a 'w*t*f do I do now' period where one knows that there is no going back. All the familiarity of the World (the conscious perception : what we 'know' about what we 'know') is of absolutely no use. It is here where the conscious meets the unconscious, is somewhat informed by it -- it is not 'understanding'.

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

More
8 years 8 months ago #198345 by Alexandre Orion

"The small wisdom is like water in a glass -- clear, transparent, pure ...

... the great wisdom is like the water in the sea -- dark, mysterious, impenetrable ..."

~ Rabindranath Tagore

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #198497 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Hero's Adventure -

Jestor wrote: Yea, you are reading too much into it....

The lesson is called, "Hero's Adventure"...

What does it say about the hero?

Who is a hero, who can be?

What makes a hero?

Pretend I have never heard of Joe Campbell...

How would you explain this to me, so that i would understand, and not be bored...?

Two points that make a hero:
  • The circumstances they find themselves in
  • How they react to these circumstances (i.e. the characteristics of the person involved)

The Adventure of the hero is a path that gives you a way to share your experience with other people, and a path that creates room for you to play with it. :side:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Strats wrote: *It seems as if unconsciousness must be controlled with the consciousness, but consciousness must not put it self in total control.

Is he getting at the fact that there should be a balance between the two? Is that the lesson to take from that?

Mm.. Unconsciousness and consciousness are both part of the same system, the ''difference'' between the two are the levels of access. Consciousness and unconsciousness switch all the time, when you do not need conscious information, it will be stored in you unconscious part.

The unconsciousness lays behind the consciousness, if you are able to create a abrupt and sudden stopping of everyday activity such as shaking a hand, you can penetrate directly intro the unconsciousness. ( seen in hypnosis)

Consciousness protects your body from unconsciousness, because your body can not deal with much information at ones.
But neither one does have control, maybe they both are separated from you body, by some kind of not understandable barrier, but not sure about that. The control of the mind is not the same as the mind controlling the mind :blink: My question would be what does create the difference between consciousness and unconsciousness. Anyway just a minding..
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #198657 by
"We tend to consider maths/physics to be the crown of intelligence whereas it is not" - You could not have made a more ignorant claim. Math and science do indeed make everything work. Many of your sentences are meaningless tautologies. Creative people are certainly necessary in the progression of life, but let us be clear. Creativity does not mean someone is smart. If you wish to dispute that fact, I urge you to take a look at some intro psych textbooks and that issue should be made quite clear within the books. You said a lot of incorrect things and a lot of straight jibberish and non-sense. I advise you to seek out some physics, chemistry, or biology books before you make more ignorant claims.

My original point was that the man in the lecture contradicts himself a lot. Why would you want to follow someone who can't even correctly portray a specific viewpoint and stick to it? Logic and reason should be the foundation of all great thought. Stop this madness.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #198658 by
"Mm.. Unconsciousness and consciousness are both part of the same system, the ''difference'' between the two are the levels of access. Consciousness and unconsciousness switch all the time, when you do not need conscious information, it will be stored in you unconscious part."

-It appears that you have completed a doctoral program in the field of neuro-psychology. Well now, glad you solved a significantly complex problem in 2 sentences. This is straight jibberish. I realize you may think I am taking this too seriously or looking too deep into the matter, but what is the point of debating these topics if you all want to simply 'boil-them-down-to-basics'? What you are talking about, unconsciousness and consciousness, is just plain incorrect. "when you do not need conscious information, it will be stored in you unconscious part" - No. This is the worst part of the whole thing.. I honestly don't know how to respond to that claim.

These post are some of the most ignorant and flatly incorrect things I have ever heard people mention. Perhaps I am being a bit dramatic, but please don't assume you know what you are talking about and spew garbage, because that garbage will eventually be believed by other people that read this and lead to a group of people that are incorrectly educated on these issues.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi