Senior Knights

More
8 years 6 months ago #204326 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Senior Knights
It's time to take this issue up with the College of Knight's and The Council for a clear updated definition and program. And I'd publish the proposed plan for public comment before anything becomes in force.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 6 months ago #204329 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Senior Knights

Because it allows people to study without having to become part of the system?

We are not a school for anyone, lol...

We are here for training Jedi...

Should someone desire, they can study as they like, but we do not have to open our doors to the world, any more than any other school or organization...

Does this sound elitist? Maybe...

But, we don't stop folks from joining and participating... They stop themselves...

We just limit access to some of our stuff...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 6 months ago #204331 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Senior Knights
We've been making it our mission to make much valued knowledge available free of charge to all members of the order through the library, sometimes ignoring the law in the process.
The library originally was and a lot of it remains a collection of the materials masters ask their apprentices to read... you should know that, Jasper was librarian before me after all...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 6 months ago #204334 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Senior Knights
Yes, we are collecting the knowledge in our library for any with access, guests too, correct? (Can remember access level, lol)

But, we've never stated that about our training, only the IP has been open to all, the rest requires the free studies to be completed...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204373 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Senior Knights
:whistle:
i certainly have a lot of notes to copy, read, and organize....

the difficulty lays in the somewhat scattered nature of them :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 6 months ago #204377 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Senior Knights

Jestor wrote: Should someone desire, they can study as they like, but we do not have to open our doors to the world, any more than any other school or organization...

How do you not understand that this is not something anybody is asking? Do you seriously think that schools out there write and publish their own books to be distributed only and exclusively among their own, let alone among a specific, "sufficiently advanced" subset of their own? Bloody damn right this sounds elitist, and your insistence on painting boxes around your precious list of material as if the list was the material itself is nothing short of petty also, ironic though as it is.
Of course it is up to those who make the demand to demonstrate your obligation to provide, and all we can do at this point is argue that any other half-decent educational institution would, unlike TOTJO, actually not give away books for free without the authors' permission, but would, again - unlike TOTJO, list the topics of every course and often times even recommend related literature and similar study materials. That does not oblige TOTJO to anything, of course, nor does it need to justify perfectly legal secrecy. It just looks silly, but then that's not something TOTJO is going out of their way to declare they are trying not to be, is it?
Oh, wait... it is. :S

We just limit access to some of our stuff...

You don't have any stuff to call "our stuff". Cardboard boxes around other people's stuff is what you have. Compiling a list of lessons life made you face at some point or another is not actually an achievement, you know. Quit pretending that this place is a precious haven at the forefront of intellectual advancement, too dangerous and sacred for the little people out there to even know about. Come on now.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204382 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Senior Knights
Anton has made a few good points in that rant ...

(... though, you're more convincing when you're not acerbic, lad.) ;)

I don't know what the rest of you are doing ; I'm still keeping track of all of my apprentices (we don't have former apprentices), awarding them "points" here and there when they earn them (though they aren't always aware of it) and keeping the pedalogical/didactical dialogue(s) going ... It isn't so much out of respect for the "rules" of TotJO Apprentice-Master convention, but out of a natural love for teaching and how I view the pupil-teacher transaction (on several levels) as well as the symbol of the mentor from a million years of mythology.

Let's all relax a little. :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204396 by
Replied by on topic Senior Knights
How and why I teach is a reflection of my being Jedi. Hero with a Thousand Faces has been one of the textbooks in my World Mythology course these past two years. Each semester, re-reading Campbell uncovers new insights requiring re-working the lessons plans (lesson plan = the order and content of the class instruction for that day); and, of course, I learn from my students as well. I regret not having the discipline to write all this out and post it in my Knight's Journal (if I had one).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204397 by
Replied by on topic Senior Knights
As I am one who likes order from chaos, I believe that all the lesson plans should be gone through and given a 100-200-300 level designation. This way we can set up our Div’s just like a college. By doing this, we can allow anyone to see the lesson plans, but yet no one can advance through the lessons until they have completed the previous Div.

As Ren has stated, (i can't believe I agree with Ren :P ) if there are some that come here just to advance their knowledge of the Jedi Way, it would be accessible to them. BUT we do not have to grant degrees to them unless they are in “the program”.

The question is how do we watch over someone who is going through the lessons and then decides to get in the program. It would be easy for them to complete the IP and Apprenticeship quickly. Not if the lesson plans for Knighthood from the Teaching Masters is different from the Div studies.

(EDIT) This may involve creating new lesson plans or altering existing ones, but if we are to be "Professional" in this organization and take up the calling of inspiring hearts and minds, it is a must.

I believe that we should either make the Apprenticeship the A-Div, or we should make the split. Either way is ok, but as this Temple grows (as I stated several years ago in another thread) we will need to become as a college or religious school with defined lesson plans and degrees schemes.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

More
8 years 6 months ago #204413 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Senior Knights
As far as I know:
The library is accessible to any registered user (Guest).
There are forums not visible to search engines and anyone not logged in.
There are forums only accessible to Apprentices.
There are forums only accessible to Knights.
There are forums only accessible to Clergy.
There is a special forum for moderators and admins.
There is a forum for The Council only visible to it and Sys Admins.

Just as no two Knights have received the same training there is no set plan for Senior Knight. There is no secret plan or materials for becoming a Senior Knight. As I said earlier, it's time The Council and The College of Knights take up this issue to update and clarify it. The proposed plan should be published for public comment before becoming policy.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Gisteron

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi