How to get a group started?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193244 by
Replied by on topic How to get a group started?
I feel sorry to hear that story Master Jestor, I feel with the people that sharing Illness in mind of body, and I can put myself in the charges of people, they would like to have a group. I feel also with your opinion, protecting them for feeling less better then before.. It is quite hard to seek the right choice.
Think that this discussions is important to do, as it is for every Jedi, If people want to talk they can always open a thread to share their pain and expressions though.. That would be better than a separate group? Guess not everything can be protected always. Without creating a group you would make it different to feel less better?
You have a inspiring insight by indirectly saying that 'black and white' are just as colorful as any other color. calling it black and white on the same spectrum. :blush:

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193251 by
Jinkies, I didn't expect this to turn into such a spirited debate. To be fair, I'm ok with there not being such a group, should that be how things pan out. I was just kind of thinking it would be helpful, something I proposed on a whim but had never considered all the other implications you all bring up. I certainly don't mean to cause a ruckus! :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193252 by

CryojenX wrote: I certainly don't mean to cause a ruckus! :laugh:

Not to worry. We enjoy good, healthy, spirited (and spiritual) debates around here. I might have found it odd if there wasn't one.

CryojenX wrote: Jinkies...

The fact that you said "jinkies" is fantastic. :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193253 by

CryojenX wrote: Jinkies, I didn't expect this to turn into such a spirited debate. To be fair, I'm ok with there not being such a group, should that be how things pan out. I was just kind of thinking it would be helpful, something I proposed on a whim but had never considered all the other implications you all bring up. I certainly don't mean to cause a ruckus! :laugh:

I personally like your fresh eye on our Temple, the fact that it is a spirited debate is because you created a post with a beautiful subject :side:

More
8 years 10 months ago #193256 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic How to get a group started?

CryojenX wrote: Jinkies, I didn't expect this to turn into such a spirited debate. To be fair, I'm ok with there not being such a group, should that be how things pan out. I was just kind of thinking it would be helpful, something I proposed on a whim but had never considered all the other implications you all bring up. I certainly don't mean to cause a ruckus! :laugh:

I think it's a great idea! We're just batting around ideas so the best outcome gets done. Even if that means 'no group' :)

The problem with opening a thread with "I have this problem" is you're making a very public announcement. A group who included people like me who are more open about my experiences would make me available to anyone who needed me.

Long story:
Warning: Spoiler!

TL;DR: Anxiety caused me not to get help for a long time.

But maybe if someone else has anxiety issues, or ADHD, and is too afraid or shy to speak up in a thread or in this group if it was made, he can always take a look at the group and our conversations and maybe he feels he can talk one-on-one with me (or whoever). Sometimes it's easier to talk to a crowd, and sometimes it's easier to talk to a single person. This'll give the capabilities for both. I think I've piped up in every thread I've seen asking for help in those departments but maybe a group would be more obvious? I can't say how active the group would be but I think it might be worthwhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 10 months ago #193257 by Br. John
A peer support group can work wonders. I can help.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Locksley, Kit, Edan,

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193259 by OB1Shinobi
everywhere i go is a group for people with mental health issues lol

i think its a good idea

i wonder of theres anyone in the temple who WOULDNT join

EDIT - I dont think it needs to be totally anonymous

i think that while not everyone is clinically this that ot the other, still everyone has moments in their lives when they would fit the profile for one or another mental/emotional challenge

there are always PMs and such for extra sensitive discussions

but being available to the communitity as a whole is important

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 10 months ago #193260 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic How to get a group started?
Oh something else I was thinking of is if the mental health side was going to be included in this group we have to be really careful about not giving out medical advice or the group being used instead of seeing a mental health professional for someone who really needs more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #193263 by

Jestor wrote: Aqua, as a guy married to a lady with depresssion for the last 17 years, my concern was that once they get into the group, and discuss things, they might feel even more seperate from the overall group of Jedi...

I am not against such a group, if you know me, when I am unsure, I move more slowly, and cautiously...;)

I have to mention the lesson of Jestor, not being against the plan. But cautiousness could be important due to the misunderstanding within a group.. Additionally I want to ask, how to know that a group will fulfill purpose if there is a way of contacting an officer, or starting an thread?

Groups give a more open way to share, and could be experienced as 'less scarry' then a one on one chat. Open ways are not only variable. It is also a good way to learn form each other. It gives the possibility to share, break and heal emotions. The biggest question for me at the moment is: ,,How to know that it works as you want?''

I should suggest using supervision, with a clear rule to talk in private with the supervision when needed, and to undergo a session with an assigned officer, to be instructed before entering te group for the first time about the possible danger of the 'feeling less better moments' that Master Jestor explained. And an instruction to talk with an assigned officer on planned days. Creating the new function of 'health officer' or 'grouphealth officer' (if this does not already exist under some kind of name)

My opinion is that possible groups should only be used when secondly committing to a one on one talking session with an officer ones every two weeks. With this rule you can exclude most danger or misunderstandings. I hope this can convince Master Jestor after a very slow consideration. Guess we all should..
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

More
8 years 10 months ago #193264 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic How to get a group started?

Kamizu wrote: Oh something else I was thinking of is if the mental health side was going to be included in this group we have to be really careful about not giving out medical advice or the group being used instead of seeing a mental health professional for someone who really needs more.

I'd think of it more like a support group...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Kit, ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi