The nature of entertainment media

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #208373 by RyuJin
i'm always mindful when gaming....i'm fully aware of everything going on around me....as was mentioned it can be a form of active meditation...and the games i tend to prefer are not mindless fragfests....although i do love a good mindless mass slaughter game on occasion....you know, just 'cuz...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #208376 by Adder
B)
I reckon fragfests are easier yes, because they usually have simpler sets of action, but just done faster - which is easier to 'pace' with an external scan to keep up awareness (if you have too). Like taking a pause in cover every number of movements to look out the proverbial window... explanation; when flying you have to scan the instruments pretty much in a constant pattern but also have to remember to look outside for traffic etc, which is often never there so runs the risk of being skipped - not a good idea.

I find the tricky ones are when there are nested sets of action which require a mix of constant attention but also scan's of slower changing information - at the same time, but at different rates. It means all the attention is focused on either interaction or planning/strategy/operational taskings. Your 'pauses' in manouver are already allocated to other tasks. Especially a problem when there is no such thing as cover to pause behind
:huh:

I tend to think of it like having a drink during a bar fight (the drink being the game), freaky skill is required to dodge the flying chair. It's just part of gaming I think
:lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208390 by
Replied by on topic The nature of entertainment media

CryojenX wrote: I do question my motivations for playing such games. If I wish to cultivate peace and tranquility, why am I drawn to games that are often centered around visceral conflict?

I suppose it's more a question I should be asking myself. I was just wondering if anyone else has grappled with the same dilemma.

Of course. I am sure we all do at one time or another. How we resolve this is key to determining our destiny.

Early on when computers and tech was in it's formative years the term "garbage in garage out" was common. I took that to heart and became more observant and careful of what I put in my brain. That included everything: I watched, listened to, read, spoke and how I acted. The whole sensor package of my input. At times it extends to the company I keep. Which is very difficult as some of these people were/are my "friends" or so I thought.

More
8 years 5 months ago #208393 by Carlos.Martinez3
As one learns who they are they often find the flaws. My goal, to find who I truly am and release the potential. After a while it seems like we r changing but what we are doing is honing our selfs "polishing" us so to speak.
This is true evidence your inner man, woman, is coming out of the condition. Keep up the good work friend. When the Force reveals things like that, You are on the right track!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi