The nature of entertainment media

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191420 by
I used to be a big metalhead. I was into things like thrash metal and doom metal. Megadeth was a big one for me. Recently I conducted a purge upon my music collection as I found I was no longer able to compartmentalize music with violent or aggressive lyrics as harmless. Other people may be able to find them harmless, but I feel like they were detritus, polluting my chances for self betterment.

I am still an avid player of video and computer games however. I play indie "art" titles, but also some of the top-tier franchises as well. This troubles me, as many are violent/aggressive. I've been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series for some time, and I know that you cant harm pixels or polygons, but I have the same concerns, about whether such games are really harmful to the self.

There's a wonderful quote from Dragon Age: Origins that says that "Evil doesn't worry about being good" (meaning that the very fact of showing concern for such things proves that you are not lost to the dark side), however I do question my motivations for playing such games. If I wish to cultivate peace and tranquility, why am I drawn to games that are often centered around visceral conflict?

I suppose it's more a question I should be asking myself. I was just wondering if anyone else has grappled with the same dilemma.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #191423 by Edan
I'm a metalhead... I have been since a teenager, I'm also a gamer.

I am not a violent person, and I don't believe music or gaming has ever inspired me to be so. I have no doubt that some people 'get lost' in the violence of a video game or an album, it's inevitable... but I generally think that people like that are probably going to get that whatever they're into. If not from entertainment media, then the news, or books etc. We cannot avoid being influenced by our environment, even a little. I tend to think that the people who are influenced by the violence in games and music are the ones that go searching for them for that exact reason. A symptom instead of the source. Sometimes you need an outlet for the things you're feeling that you can't act upon.

The only game I have ever questioned (and incidentally one I never played) was the Call of Duty where one had the ability to murder lots of innocent civilians. But saying that my fiance played it, and indeed plays many war games, and he is neither heartless nor violent.

It's like anything... you have to look at what something is doing to you, the same as you do with food, or alcohol, or gambling.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191429 by
Replied by on topic The nature of entertainment media
I've found that unless some form of entertainment media (like death metal or violent video games) leads one to behave wrongly, in a way that hurts others, it's hard to take too much issue with it. Somehow I grew up playing really violent video games - for example, I'm 25 and played a lot of Mortal Kombat 3 when it was new (in 1996-ish), so you do the math. And yet I've never been a violent person or drawn to violence. In fact I'm a really ardent pacifist. But like you, I have asked myself the question: does it conflict with self-improvement?

I don't know if I have an answer yet myself. I do know that, in general, I've kind of eschewed more violent video games as I've gotten older, but I still like some pretty dark and morbid music, for instance. It's not what I listen to most, but it's there and some days I feel like listening to really grim industrial metal or whatever. It doesn't always reflect my mood, either. It just is.

I find that, on the other side of the coin, playing "casual" relaxing games like Animal Crossing (which is, at present, basically the only video game I play) doesn't necessarily cause me to become more relaxed, even if I find it enjoyable. It has the same effect on me as a game of Halo where I kill a bunch of aliens and paint the ground with their fluorescent guts - nothing. It's entertainment, not life-altering. The same goes for all the ambient music I have. I like it, but it doesn't calm me down as much as I'd like.

But the concerns are still present. I generally try to steer myself toward entertainment/media that cultivates peace and tranquility, but I'm not sure yet if entertainment in general affects me that profoundly. There are cases where I know certain stories, for example, have affected me for the better, but in my case I feel like the jury is out on video games and (most) music.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191430 by
Clearly, there is something about the type of music and games you play (or played in the past) that are a problem for you, and that's worth taking a serious look at. The truth may be that certain gaming or listening choices aren't beneficial for you or complementary to your personal outlook (spiritual or otherwise).

It comes down to individual perspective and your mindset. If you believe particular music or gaming experiences are affecting you negatively then that is the reality of the matter. Making a decision to move away from those forms of art/media, or at least pausing to examine your related thoughts and feelings honestly, may be what's best for you at this time (and may have been necessary in your past).

As Edan suggested, there are those of us who feel differently and don't face the same dilemmas that you are working through. My favorite genre in gaming is horror and I'm an avid listener of industrial music - yet, I am a positive and loving person and think I'm fairly well-balanced. Like Edan, I don't feel that 'entertainment media' has ever been the source of problems for me personally, but (again) that doesn't mean it isn't or hasn't been a problem for you, and it's admirable that you're giving that proper attention.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #191431 by OB1Shinobi
seperate yourself from any kind of unecessary negativity which affects you

real life is violent and tragic enough for anybody

do what you feel is correct

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 10 months ago #191432 by Proteus
If you look real close, you'll notice that some of the most violent people listen to the most mellow/happy music... some of the most mellow, thoughtful people listen to some of the deepest heaviest music. You might also notice that the latter also tend to have a more relatable sense of humor as well.

Why is this?

Metal for example helps us vent our aggression through creative artistic means so that it's less likely to build up and come out at others in the world.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, Loudzoo,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191434 by

Proteus wrote: Metal for example helps us vent our aggression through creative artistic means so that it's less likely to build up and come out at others in the world.

Then I suppose the real issue at the heart of my question is, what are the sources/root causes of any aggression that I may feel the need to vent in the first place. And also to avoid such activity in the absence of aggression needing venting, as a challenging struggle might very well serve to disturb peaceful waters, raise cortisol levels, and have negative impact on my health. Thanks for all your insights.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191436 by
I believe also I have a strong internal need for "justice" from my youth. Perhaps what I feel compelled to engage in with these games is more a sort of systematic slaying of my own internal demons, mentally mapped onto characters in this interactive mythology if you will. Something to meditate on at least.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 10 months ago #191440 by RyuJin
i grew up playing violent games...they were my outlet...it's better i unleash my fury in a game rather than in real life...i've seen what i can do when i unleash it in real life....it's better for all if i stick to unleashing it in a game....i don't believe violent forms of entertainment cause violent behavior...the behavior is either there or it isn't...i know plenty of kids whose parents forbid them to play even remotely aggressive games and the kids much more prone to outbursts...my nephew plays tons of violent games, he grew up watching horror movies and violent movies...and he's one of the kindest kids i know...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191472 by

CryojenX wrote: I found I was no longer able to compartmentalize music with violent or aggressive lyrics as harmless.

This may be the crux of the issue. If one can listen/play a certain thing and separate this thing from reality/something else then of course they will be able to do this thing without there being a cross-genre negative impact. If one finds it difficult to compartmentalise two things from each other then they will both interact and perhaps be at odds.

Maybe an ability to compartmentalise is a skill, or an innate ability, or a mix of both, but if one can one can and if one can't one can't. And if one can or one can't one should or shouldn't listen/play/watch/think two different things which are in such stark opposition to each other - unless this was one's goal all along.

Know your limits, acting accordingly and responsibly, no one should fault another for doing this whether they are able to compartmentalise or not.

Proteus wrote: If you look real close, you'll notice that some of the most violent people listen to the most mellow/happy music...

:whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hAcYAZK3s

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi