TotJO

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186124 by
TotJO was created by
Hey, I was just wondering what the difference between the other groups that practice Jediism is? I've seen a few other sites and I wasn't sure the difference. Is there a difference in beliefs? Once looking at the others, TotJO seems to be the best in terms of lesson structure and such. Also, I heard someone once that talked about Light, Dark, and Shadow Jedis. I'm not sure if that's a thing here, I have no idea what that even is. Clarification would be much appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186126 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic TotJO
it depends on the particular order...

some orders separate jedi based on their perspective of the force...light, dark, grey, shadow etc...
most of us at totjo view the force as simply being, with no light or dark...the only light or dark is in the particular jedi...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186128 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic TotJO
There are many, many groups of Jedi and Jediists in the world, of which TOTJO is only one. Granted, we're usually one of the more easily recognizable ones (thanks, Google!), but we don't even come close to a monopoly on the title or the philosophy.

Also, Jedi are a somewhat integrated community, in that you'll find people with multiple memberships are rather common. As such, we have quite a few people here at TOTJO who have been members of other Jedi organizations, and I'll let them answer from their own perspectives.

That said, here at TOTJO, we don't subscribe to the "light"/"dark" dichotomy in terms of teaching. We tend to view the Force as universal and mostly neutral, generally speaking, and where we use the terms "light" or "dark" we typically either use them in reference to our own, personal actions, or our own, personal motivations. They are parts of a balance scale; together, not separate. To influence one influences the other, so it makes no sense to divide them as such.

The "Light", "Dark", and "Shadow", you may have heard of could be a reference to Force Academy, as I've heard their members use those terms. They are not terms you'll find at TOTJO unless you apply them to yourself.

Almost every Jedi group will have different beliefs, definitions, and the like. Heck, almost every Jedi has different beliefs, definitions, and such, so getting any group to agree on anything is usually only done for generalizations or formality's sake.

I encourage you to poke around the FAQ and any of the materials you have access to as a guest, to question as many of our members as you would like, and to speak with the appropriate representatives for your age range and interest level here at TOTJO. They will be able to give you much better answers than I have, I think, and help you decide if you'd like to hang out with us here (in addition to anywhere else you choose to).
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186134 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic TotJO
Yea, there are Jedi here who work with dark and light, and shadows and grey concepts, but like with a lot of the fiction - its not forced here onto people to become attached to something from the fiction (except maybe the 'Force' but that is open to interpretation?).

I tend to view TOTJO as being less prescriptive in its approach for Jedi, where some other groups tend to focus on specific elements of the fiction to define their approach (sometimes for functional reasons and sometimes just for identity issues), we let the individual use what they want to work with, so long as it does not conflict with the spirit of the doctrine. The IP, Degree and Clerical Programs here do provide specific guidance, but its not based in the fiction so much, rather its to assist Jedi in how to best experience their Jedi path without actively prescribing to them what that path should be.

This to me is the most inclusive method, as it not only allows people from other groups to enjoy the Temple, but it does still allow for like minded Jedi to form working groups or projects along cultural or functional approaches anyway. Thus the Temple grows based on the members interests and activity, rather then their adherence to its particular interpretation of the fiction (because we don't prescribe it).

That's my personal view on it, hope I didn't confuse the issue for you :huh:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi