Changes to Simple Oath Wording

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #186177 by
On behalf of the Council and the KNights of the Temple of the Jedi Order.

This is to announce that after changes to the Simple Oath outlined here , the wording of the Simple Oath is also to be changed from the current version:

Current" wrote: I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, [name] born on [dd/mm/yy], without reservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi."

To this new version:

New wrote: "I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, [name] born [dd/mm/yyyy], without reservation, choose the Jedi path with all its duties and responsibilities. I promise to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life worthy of a Jedi."

New German wrote: "Ich erkläre vor der Gemeinschaft der Jedi, dass Ich, [Name], geboren am [TT.MM.JJJJ], ohne Vorbehalte den Weg der Jedi mit all seinen Pflichten und Verantwortungen wähle. Ich verspreche die Lehren der Jedi zu erhalten und ein Leben, eines Jedi würdig, zu führen.“

New French" wrote: Je jure devant tous mes confrères Jedi que moi, (nom), né le (jj / mm / aaaa), sans retenue, choisis la voie du Jedi avec tous ses devoirs et responsabilités. Je promets d'honorer les enseignements Jedi, et de vivre une vie digne d'un Jedi.

New Spanish wrote: "Profeso ante todos mis compañeros Jedi que yo, [nombre ] nacido el [ dd / mm / aaaa ] , sin reservas, elijo el camino Jedi con todos sus deberes y responsabilidades. Me comprometo a defender las enseñanzas, y vivir una vida digna de un Jedi.

New Russian wrote: "Я заявляю перед всеми братьями и сестрами Джедаями, что я, _______, рожден _______, безоговорочно, избираю путь Джедая и принимаю все долги и ответственности связанные с ним. Я обещяю придерживаться учения Джедаев и жить жизнь, достойную Джедая."

This change will come into effect from the 1st June 2015. After 1st June 2015 all Simple Oaths that are taken should be in this new form. Any Oaths of the current form that are taken before 1st June 2015 will be equally valid and recognised.

This new oath was selected, by vote, by the Knights of the Temple after receiving the highest number of votes out of three possible choices.

The main difference between these two oaths is that the new one removes the "until I otherwise decide" thus making it more binding than before. The Oath should be taken after due consideration and contemplation and with the taking of the Simple Oath now only required after one completes the Initiates Programme those taking it will be better informed of what the Jedi Path is and how we teach it at the Temple.

No oath that is currently valid will become invalid after the change, though of course people are welcome to retake the oath if they wish, but people who have never taken the oath will only be required to take it in this new form after the 1st June 2015.

May the Force be with you, Always
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #186286 by
Replied by on topic Changes to Simple Oath Wording
*bump*

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186292 by Tarran
Okay, please do forgive this, but due to the fact that I am A, thick as a brick, and B, about as sharp as a bag of wet mice, might I ask for a little more clarity on one thing? I understand about those already having taken the oath before-hand being "grandfathered in" (all up until this coming June 1st), and not invalid-ized, but... what I'm slightly foggy on is this; AFTER the First of this June, new oath takers should... wait until AFTER taking the Initiate Program to take the oath? As in *MUST COMPLETE THE IP FIRST*, or... ?

I'm fairly certain that's what was said, but I have this thing where I can read a paragraph written of something as simple as falling down, over and over and OVER again, and it just oodles out me ears. It's made my past school life a living Hell, lemme tellya :P

Again, do please forgive this - and thanks in advance.

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186294 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Changes to Simple Oath Wording
You can take the oath whenever you want, but it is no longer a requirement for membership that you have done it.
If you wish to become an apprentice however, you must have taken the oath when you complete the IP (you can take it when you're done).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

More
8 years 11 months ago #186351 by Tarran
Thanks, Edan! ^_^

Apprentice to J. K. Barger

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192269 by
Just a reminder to everyone that the wording of the oath is due to change in two weeks time. People may use whichever version until then (remembering of course that the taking of the Oath is only "required" after completing the IP), but after the 1st June the following version is the required version:

"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, [name] born [dd/mm/yy], without reservation, choose the Jedi path with all its duties and responsibilities. I promise to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life worthy of a Jedi."

Any who have taken a valid Oath (with the other wording) before 1st June are not required to take a second Oath with the new wording.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195765 by
It would really have been nice to have this posted in the Take The Oath forum, now I need to go back and edit.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195769 by
Oh, it might also be helpful in the Oath section that the FAQ links to were updated to mention the Take the Oath forum, rather than positing it in one's journal. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #195770 by

CryojenX wrote: It would really have been nice to have this posted in the Take The Oath forum, now I need to go back and edit.

You're right, I just updated any of the outdated and stickied oath threads so hopefully that will "fix" the problem, though the change doesn't invalidate any oaths made prior to the update.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 9 months ago #195771 by Jestor

CryojenX wrote: Oh, it might also be helpful in the Oath section that the FAQ links to were updated to mention the Take the Oath forum, rather than positing it in one's journal. :)

You cannot edit a post...

Sorry... Even we admin dont do it....

However, it should also say in the FAQ that the Oath is not needed until the completion of the IP....

Doesnt it? :lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi