Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #165177 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes

Khaos wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Khaos wrote:

o the people who are "bitching", you try running a high traffic forum for even a week and see how you like it. Its not fun, its a lot of hard work, and dedication, and I feel they do not get enough credit for all of the long hours they spend keeping The Temple running.

You have made a grand assumption. I help run two. It's only hard work when run like this. We do not have closed forums, and only ban or punish I the most extreme of cases.

That has been few and far between and we have been open since 2006

Run like "this"? You mean with rules and manners? :) I jest

But, our forum I imagine is different. But the point about the hard work and hours put in is very valid. I've had two masters and a partner and friends on the council. I see first hand how much they put in. They put a LOT of time and effort in, often at the expense of important things in their lives, for no reward and very little thanks. But people are quick to judge, complain and bitch. Councillor does not mean miracle worker. And they can't give everyone what they want.

You can imagine your forum is different all you like. The real difference is the lack of molly coddling.

In fact, I could argue that the problem lies in giving everyone what they want.

Is that not why this has come about?

There was a story of a man who, at lunch peanut butter and jelly everyday, and everyday he complained. When one of his co-workers said he should just ask his wife to make something different he stated he made his own lunch.

Have you read anything I've said on this topic?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165178 by
Replied by on topic Forum Access Changes

Rosalyn J wrote: Originally, I thought we were talking about closing off one forum: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Discussions here and that is what prompted my lack of posting and my devil may care attitude about the whole thing. I wondered why people were getting so bent out of shape, but we are not talking about that forum, we are talking about this one: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Forum.

Unless I misunderstand you, that's not the case, and you were basically right first time. As per the OP, the only change in access is that Guests can no longer post in Jediism or General Discussions. They're still viewable by all registered users. I guess what you can see completely logged out and what you can see as a registered, logged-in Guest are different.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

More
9 years 5 months ago #165180 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Forum Access Changes

tzb wrote: That's not the case, you were basically right first time. As per the OP, the only change in access is that Guests can no longer post in Jediism or General Discussions. They're still viewable by all registered users. I guess what you can see completely logged out and what you can see as a registered, logged-in Guest are different.

Why make them viewable to folks who cannot post to them?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165181 by
Why not? They contain a lot of useful info, especially in the case of the Jediism forum.

Just like you can visit other Temples and observe their operation before deciding whether or not to join, or just for your education/curiosity.

Additionally some high quality, friendly discussion may serve as a good "advert" for membership, in a way most recent Guest-centred discussions do not.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165190 by
Of course, it wasn't just guests that avoided "friendly" discussion, yet they are the ones being "punished" for it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165199 by
I'm just going to make this brief, and I hope it doesn't come off as flippant because I think what I wish to say is pretty relevant so please don't get offended...

This thread has done what a lot of threads can do here and "exploded", but the explosion, as is also typical with other threads like this, seems to have been caused by the constant posting of several specific members. This skews the discussion a lot because we hear from those members a lot while all the other points of view might be lost, but because the shouting is so loud this issue is given far more weight to it than it probably deserves.

So please everyone just stop posting for a moment and calm down.

I have posted before but this is not the end of the discussion. People's concerns have been sincerely and duly noted and we (the Knights) are coming up with a raft of changes to try and address them.

Please wait for these changes before you all start (as Jestor put it) bitching again. Once these new changes have been implemented then we can discuss those, but please stop shouting about changes we have already said are not going to stay the same it's incredibly tiresome.

We did something, people have lodged lots of complaint. We are discussing these complaints and will make changes. So the persistent complaining while we are discussing making changes anyway isn't going to do much good...

As a human being, and one of the senior members, I'm telling you that if you complain too much we will just get bored and go "Ah fuck it I can't be bothered anymore, let them complain."

Let us introduce the new changes and then we can go from there...

*Akkarin breathes in counting to 10. 1, 2, 3...*

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165207 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes
You had to post this just as I log in didnt you :lol:

Akkarin wrote: seems to have been caused by the constant posting of several specific members. This skews the discussion a lot because we hear from those members a lot while all the other points of view might be lost

So please everyone just stop posting for a moment and calm down.

but please stop shouting about changes we have already said are not going to stay the same it's incredibly tiresome.

We did something, people have lodged lots of complaint. We are discussing these complaints and will make changes. So the persistent complaining while we are discussing making changes anyway isn't going to do much good...

Flippant. Not really. Dismissive, maybe.

Yes, youre right. And the reason you hear from certain members "a lot" is because our PM boxes and skype messages go tilt with the smaller voices saying "I dont feel like my voice counts but..." and we end up bringing forward the concerns that others have but are unable to voice because they dont believe they will be heard. Or deserve to be heard because of their rank.

This thread has been very calm I feel. And we are still discussing it, because we are interested in talking about it. As Elizabeth I believe mentioned, none of us were consulted, so we are having our discussion here. feel free to ignore it and continue in the "knight members" only section if it irritates you so much.

Im sorry that you find our need to discuss our thoughts and feelings on major changes in the only format we have been allowed "tiresome".

As a human being, yeah, I get that you might get bored. As a Jedi and a member of the council, you serve others. How well do you serve the Temple by deciding "fuck it" and dismissing us as complaining too much when we are talking through something which we feel strongly about?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Wescli Wardest, Amaya, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165210 by

Brenna wrote: And the reason you hear from certain members "a lot" is because our PM boxes and skype messages go tilt with the smaller voices saying "I dont feel like my voice counts but..." and we end up bringing forward the concerns that others have but are unable to voice because they dont believe they will be heard. Or deserve to be heard because of their rank.

Mhm :dry:

More
9 years 5 months ago #165211 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Forum Access Changes

tzb wrote:

Rosalyn J wrote: Originally, I thought we were talking about closing off one forum: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Discussions here and that is what prompted my lack of posting and my devil may care attitude about the whole thing. I wondered why people were getting so bent out of shape, but we are not talking about that forum, we are talking about this one: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Forum.

Unless I misunderstand you, that's not the case, and you were basically right first time. As per the OP, the only change in access is that Guests can no longer post in Jediism or General Discussions. They're still viewable by all registered users. I guess what you can see completely logged out and what you can see as a registered, logged-in Guest are different.

I concede that I may be wrong in this matter. I am not a guest, so I don't know precisely what has been closed off and what has not.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165212 by

Brenna wrote: Flippant. Not really. Dismissive, maybe.

Dismissive? No. Dismissive would be if we ignored you. We are not ignoring you at all.

Brenna wrote: Yes, youre right. And the reason you hear from certain members "a lot" is because our PM boxes and skype messages go tilt with the smaller voices saying "I dont feel like my voice counts but..." and we end up bringing forward the concerns that others have but are unable to voice because they dont believe they will be heard. Or deserve to be heard because of their rank.

Right but how do we know unless we're told? If no one posts or leaves "thanks" then we simply don't know what people are thinking. And if you're posting on their behalf tell us, because how do we distinguish between something that is only your view and something that is the view of lots of people?

We aren't psychic, if someone thinks their voice doesn't count so decides not to have a voice then their voice definitely won't count. We aren't inhuman and lacking compassion, but we aren't psychic either, we only know what we're told.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi