Merchandise Update

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #138007 by
Merchandise Update was created by
Lucasfilm Ltd (Disney) had sent a message to Cafe Press saying that certain items infringed on their copyright.

These items were ones with the code and the words "Temple of the Jedi Order" on them. These items are now unavailable, of course for personal usage you can send designs to a manufacturer yourself and have one made but we can't officiate any part of that.

Maybe we have grounds to contest their decision, but I bet they have better lawyers! lol

Br. John makes the point that they must already know about us and take no issue. This decision seems only to be on the things that specifically can be linked to Star Wars as the designs with our symbol are left alone.

Maybe in future this will change but for now I certainly don't see any changes happening for the time being.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #138031 by
Replied by on topic Merchandise Update
Makes sense. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #138040 by
Seen that "Jedi Order" is so closely linked to the Star Wars franchise, I doubt there would be any grounds on which to legally challenge the decision. At least if I look at it from a European law viewpoint. I'm not so familiar with the US copyright law.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #138064 by
In this case, U.S. Copyright Law is likely stricter than European as the original copyright was filed in the U.S.

This same issue came up in the thread about the official logo. A trademark or copyright owner is nearly always given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to fair usage, so it is very unlikely that any court would side against Disney/Lucasfilm.

Thankfully the symbol is ours and we know what it represents. The offending words "Jedi Order" aren't required on the products for us to know what they represent.

Especially when you put it on a thong... :laugh:

More
10 years 2 months ago #138087 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Merchandise Update

Senan wrote: Especially when you put it on a thong... :laugh:

:cheer:
:laugh:

Now, that would get us some publicity ... Everybody would be looking at that ! :woohoo:

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi